Knowing vs. Believing; how dare we, us, me!

The_Phoenix

I agree with john doe!!

When The Holy Ghost speaks it is always in the positive.

Can we imagine The Spirit of the Lord telling Nephi in his first vision- "ummm Nephi, if you just take a gander over there to the left, you will see a virgin most fair...??"

No- he speaks a different language...He simply said "LOOK!!"

That's why we are counciled to speak in the positive as well. The Holy Ghost speaks that way.

If we don't know something for ourselves, and yet speak in the positive, it gives the Holy Ghost a chance to speak through us- giving(us), the speaker, a testimony of what we are speaking of.

Or, on another occasion we speak using our testimony, and the message is passed to someone listening, by the Power of The Holy Ghost(if they are a non-member)

It seems to me, or- "I believe", that The Holy Ghost wont bear witness to wishywashy words hahaha

I have been wrong often enough though...")

Edited by Jerubbaal

In my opinion, the word "know" is used (most of the time) as a synonym of "feel or believe". It doesn't really bother me what word is used but I think people should be aware of the difference. If the person who is sharing a testimony doesn't really "know" firsthand the things he/she is testifying of, then the truth they share is purely subjective.

In my opinion, the word "know" is used (most of the time) as a synonym of "feel or believe". It doesn't really bother me what word is used but I think people should be aware of the difference. If the person who is sharing a testimony doesn't really "know" firsthand the things he/she is testifying of, then the truth they share is purely subjective.

Are you saying most people who bear their testimonies don't actually have testimonies? I'm having a really hard time swallowing that one. However, I agree that if someone gets up to bear their testimony, they shouldn't say they know the church is true if they actually don't.

Edited by PrinceofLight2000

Are you saying most people who bear their testimonies don't actually have testimonies? I'm having a really hard time swallowing that one.

Well Prince, I am not going to make a poll and find out. We have 14 million members, it will take a little while.