Who can marry me and my fiance?

I think Church policy is that it needs to be the bishop of either either yours or your fiancees's home ward. The location of the wedding is legally irrelevant so long as it's within the state of Utah, and I think it's also irrelevant as far as Church policy is concerned.

I go to church in West Valley but live in Highland. My bishop claims he can't marry us because we're getting married in a different county (in Provo, Utah County). What's the easiest way for me to find a bishop down here that can marry us?

As long as its in Utah he should be able to marry you anywhere. He's your bishop. Maybe he doesn't want to travel. Have you talked to her bishop?

As long as its in Utah he should be able to marry you anywhere. He's your bishop. Maybe he doesn't want to travel. Have you talked to her bishop?

I go to church maybe once a month, but that's better than never going which is how it was for me for the past 7 years of my life. I am slowly becoming active again. I haven't even talked to "my" bishop. I just go to sacrament meeting with my fiance which is a Latino ward in west valley. It's quite amazing to hear the gospel in a different language I tell you what! It just confirms how true the church really is. My fiance talked with "our" bishop and this is what she was told. I told her we could give him gas money, but it just seemed almost wrong or something doing that, but I'd still be willing. My Dad doesn't want me going t his ward for whatever reason (don't even know why, but we are not very close but I do live with him). My friend who lives in Orem has setup an interview/appointment with his bishop who claims he can do this for me. I'm praying literally that he can do this as I get married in 28 days! Does anyone know if this will work? I'm applying for my marriage license next week. (Obviously it's not a temple marriage, yet the temple is our goal when we are able).

Stake presidents, mission presidents, bishops, and branch presidents are authorized to perform marriages only for those members who live within the boundaries of their units. So you may consider up to four people: 1) your bishop, 2) his bishop (if not the same person), 3) your stake president, 4) your mission president.

Your friend's bishop in Provo is not authorized to perform your marriage. If your bishop isn't willing to do it, I'd ask your stake president.

Stake presidents, mission presidents, bishops, and branch presidents are authorized to perform marriages only for those members who live within the boundaries of their units. So you may consider up to four people: 1) your bishop, 2) his bishop (if not the same person), 3) your stake president, 4) your mission president.

Your friend's bishop in Provo is not authorized to perform your marriage. If your bishop isn't willing to do it, I'd ask your stake president.

I imagine there's exceptions to this. My uncle married my cousin (his niece) and her husband when he was a bishop... and he had no presiding power over any of them. If I remember correctly, it was a request that just required approval.

There are 3 states where you don't need an "officiator" to get married. There is one where you dont need an "officiator" or even a single witness. I live in that state. There is not a single witness to my marriage, except my wife. You just drop the signed license in the mail, and you are legally wed in CO. $30 total. Just an option. It's called "self witness" in Colorado.

I imagine there's exceptions to this. My uncle married my cousin (his niece) and her husband when he was a bishop... and he had no presiding power over any of them. If I remember correctly, it was a request that just required approval.

I sure hope so. If I knew it was gonna be this hard, I would have started looking a year ago.