Somewhere, Ayn Rand is laughing . . .

Just_A_Guy

True; but I don't think Bytebear's intention was to compare Rand to Smith.

But she did draw a direct correlative comparison where 'You guys' were the equivalent of Anti-Mormons and Joseph Smith was the equivalent of Ayn Rand.

If it wasn't her intention, she definitely did draw a comparison. ;)

Maybe I'm nit-picking (or trying to avoid work, which currently involves a divorce case, allegations of the wife drinking, and a husband who freeze-dried the wife's mis-carried fetus and placed it in a bank safe deposit box for later testing), but what Bytebear said was:

You guys sound just like the Anti-Mormons when they describe Joseph Smith.

The direct comparison is not Rand to Smith, but "you guys" (whoever that may be) to "Anti-Mormons".

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Right--she's comparing the critics, not the subjects of the criticism.

The problem is: The moment you pull out the subject, the correlative comparison makes no sense.

I'll give an example:

Husband A accuses his saintly wife of infidelity.

Husband B accuses his cheating wife of infidelity.

Person C says to Husband B: "You sound just like husband A!"

Husband B does, indeed, sound exactly like husband a. That is true. It's also irrelevant because husband B is not accusing an innocent woman of a crime she didn't commit. It's certainly true that they sound alike, but sounding alike in this case is a completely neutral and irrelevant fact.

Just for the record, I drew an direct analogy between HoosierGuy's criticism of Ayn Rand followers, and the 'protocols of the elder's of zion' criticism of Jews. The different criticisms are analogous because they demonize, and stretch truth to the point of absurdity.

I did not intend to draw any analygies between HG himself, and the people who believe the protocols story. If there are actually any similarities between them, it's totally coincidental from my standpoint.

Anyway, one thing I think we can all agree on:

Ayn Rand is not a spiritual leader, or at the very least shouldn't be a spiritual leader.

Amen to that Funky.

The problem is: The moment you pull out the subject, the correlative comparison makes no sense.

I'll give an example:

Husband A accuses his saintly wife of infidelity.

Husband B accuses his cheating wife of infidelity.

Person C says to Husband B: "You sound just like husband A!"

Husband B does, indeed, sound exactly like husband a. That is true. It's also irrelevant because husband B is not accusing an innocent woman of a crime she didn't commit. It's certainly true that they sound alike, but sounding alike in this case is a completely neutral and irrelevant fact.

I would respectfully submit that if Husband A is notorious for indulging in fearmongering, innuendo, and snap judgments, and Husband B indulges in same, Person C's statement is valid regardless of the merits of either Saintly Wife or Cheating Wife.

Everyone knows that Rand was anti-Christian? One of her heroes was William Hickman, a "Superman" who kidnapped a twelve year old girl, held her ransom, and after the ransom was paid he cut her to pieces and then returned her dead body to the parents. That man is Ran's hero.

Why do some people pick these nutty people to follow? She's scary. That old interview she did with Mike Wallace is scary. She looks psycho.

She seems more a worshiper of the industrialists and ultra wealthy.

This is the most illogical thing I have read in a good while.