Is the Church being dishonest?

Guest mysticmorini

Guest mysticmorini

I was on the Church's website and I was looking for the gospel art book pictures online. I came to a section of the site with manuals and was surprised to find CHI book 1 as well as book 2. Curiosity peaked my interest and I clicked the link for book 1 and was redirected to the book 2 page.

Is the Church being dishonest? It seems to me that they should either not have a link to Book 1 of the CHI or send you to a page that says book 1 is only for so and so.

I will try to find a link, I cannot find it at the moment.

Mysticmorini, is this the link you're talking about?

Serving in the Church 

I only see the link for CHI 2, NOT 1.

Having said that, why would you even think about dishonesty? IF what you're saying is accurate, it could have been a mistake by the designers... why even think it was done on purpose?

Maybe you should provide the link to see exactly what you're talking about because without a link this thread really has no purpose, IMO.

This is a joke, right?

Usually, lies and deceit are made for a reason. What possible reason would there be for intentional deceit here?

This is all I can come up with: Yes - the church is intentionally lying and trying to deceive people into believing handbook 1 is available to the public. Whenever a sucker clicks the link and learns of the deceipt, their karma takes a temporary hit, which allows (if the sucker is non-LDS) the missionaries to swoop in and baptize them, or (if the sucker is LDS) the Strengthening the Members Committee to swoop in and reinforce the brainwashing.

Any other guesses why we'd lie on purpose in this way?

Guest mysticmorini

Mysticmorini, is this the link you're talking about?.

Nope, The page i was on had Book one listed and had a link.

Having said that, why would you even think about dishonesty? IF what you're saying is accurate, it could have been a mistake by the designers... why even think it was done on purpose?

Like i said above, unless it is a mistake, why would they have it listed if they dont want you to have access to it?

Maybe you should provide the link to see exactly what you're talking about because without a link this thread really has no purpose, IMO.

I am on my work computer now, when i get home i will go through my history and get a link as i cant seem to find it now.

Like i said above, unless it is a mistake, why would they have it listed if they dont want you to have access to it?

But that's just my point Mystic, why wouldn't you assume first that it may have been a mistake instead of plain dishonesty? You didn't mention anything about the possibility of a mistake in your OP or the title of your thread, you seemed to have assumed dishonesty. And by the way, you can still find the CHI 1 online if your curiosity has the best of you. It's not really a secret.

Guest mysticmorini

This is a joke, right?

You don't think it is dishonest to provide a link to something and then be sent to something else?

Usually, lies and deceit are made for a reason. What possible reason would there be for intentional deceit here?

Thats a good question.

This is all I can come up with: Yes - the church is intentionally lying and trying to deceive people into believing handbook 1 is available to the public. Whenever a sucker clicks the link and learns of the deceipt, their karma takes a temporary hit, which allows (if the sucker is non-LDS) the missionaries to swoop in and baptize them, or (if the sucker is LDS) the Strengthening the Members Committee to swoop in and reinforce the brainwashing.

Any other guesses why we'd lie on purpose in this way?

Perhaps they want the general public to think that handbook one is available for PR reasons, I really don't know what their motives are (who ever set up the site). perhaps I came to the page in error. I just find it odd that a link to book one would be listed and that it send you to book 2.

Guest mysticmorini

But that's just my point Mystic, why wouldn't you assume first that it may have been a mistake instead of plain dishonesty? You didn't mention anything about the possibility of a mistake in your OP or the title of your thread, you seemed to have assumed dishonesty. And by the way, you can still find the CHI 1 online if your curiosity has the best of you. It's not really a secret.

Why would handbook 1 be listed in the first place though? It is one thing to accendentally link handbook one to handbook two but if the church doesn't want it public why list it in the first place?

Why would handbook 1 be listed in the first place though? It is one thing to accendentally (sic) link handbook one to handbook two but if the church doesn't want it public why list it in the first place?

I cannot comment unless I see a link.

There is a conspiracy around every corner.

I find it noteworthy that one link, mistake or not, that leads to a dead or wrong page that may be more than nothing but a little mistake can equate to painting the whole church in the color of dishonesty that needs challenging and the cries of a coverup for which hysteria is warranted.

Not only is my testimony not based on, but I have better things to do than worry about a single link.

I'm surprised that this even rises to the level of troubling you.

Edited by slamjet

Guest mysticmorini

I just found it odd. Now it is bothering me that i cant find it. I will search my computers history when i get home. I did find out that stake pres. and Bishops can get to book one when they login with their LDS accounts.

You don't think it is dishonest to provide a link to something and then be sent to something else?

My friend, I sit at a desk and click links all day for work. They say something and do something else, at least 15% of the time. Nobody there is dishonest. Nobody even is doing it on purpose.

Perhaps they want the general public to think that handbook one is available for PR reasons,

Well then, since the general public is perfectly capable of clicking the link and seeing it is not available, then this guess doesn't hold water. I don't exactly keep church employees in outstandingly high regard, but I figure even they're bright enough to understand that.

I just find it odd that a link to book one would be listed and that it send you to book 2.

Finding something odd is fine. It's the immediate jump from finding something odd, to suspecting dishonesty, that I don't get.

I don't think such a jump is warranted - do you?

I can't even begin to count the number of web pages listing links that don't go anywhere or to the wrong thing. Dishonest? No. Mistake is the most likely conclusion.

Mystic, I'm agree...why would you immediately jump to the conclusion of dishonesty??

Yup. My husband is a web designer and spends a lot of his time fixing bad links. Probably making some, too. :lol:

Guest mysticmorini

You implied quite vigorously and strongly. I'd put that in the "you said" column.

How the heck can you pretend to interpret my implications based on posts made on the internet!?

The implication:

Is the Church being dishonest? It seems to me that they should either not have a link to Book 1 of the CHI or send you to a page that says book 1 is only for so and so.

Why would handbook 1 be listed in the first place though? It is one thing to accendentally link handbook one to handbook two but if the church doesn't want it public why list it in the first place?

The backpedaling:

I just found it odd. Now it is bothering me that i cant find it. I will search my computers history when i get home. I did find out that stake pres. and Bishops can get to book one when they login with their LDS accounts.

Well I didn't really sat that they were, I was asking the question.

Your posts are pretty much along the lines of quite strong implications. I would suggest to not go off the deep end and post a question instead of an accusation. Accusations should be backed up with sources if they are to hold any weight and credibility.

However, your words are out there and they have meaning. Internet or not, if you are hiding behind the cloak of anonymity, and you feel that cloak gives you permission to post whatever you want without being willing to take ownership of them, then your talk is cheap and should be ignored as a poster who gives no credence to his own posting. If you think otherwise, then, well, oh well. Reality bites.