No, this didn't happen in Utah

pam

ksl.com - Virginia school bans Sherlock Holmes book, says derogatory to Mormons

SALT LAKE CITY -- A school district in Virginia has removed a classic Sherlock Holmes tale from its 6th grade reading list, after determining the text was derogatory to Mormons. News of the move is reigniting the debate over censorship and bigotry.

The Daily Progress in Charlottesville, Va., was first to report the decision on "A Study in Scarlet." It was made after the parent of a middle school student complained. The Albemarle County School Board ruled the book was not age appropriate.

Having not read this book, I'm not sure how I feel about it. There are so many books that are derogatory to so many groups of people. Do we censor them all in our schools?

I think it's somewhat damaging to the educative process to censor books for offensive material in this manner.

For example, reading such books and then beginning a discussion about why the book was published, and why the now offensive parts were not so offensive when it came out would be an important discussion to have with students. It is important to understand how societies change over time, especially with regards to sensetivity over issues of differences like this.

Whether it be over slavery, the n-word, mormons, or any other socially sensetive issue, I think it's important to try to explain what changes have happened over time, why they weren't a big deal back then, and what changes have happened to make them socially inappropriate.

I read the book a while back. It's overly melodramatic relying on the rumors about Mormonism that were swirling around England (kidnappings, Danites, etc.) to set the stage, although it is ultimately about an apostate with a vengeful streak and a girl who broke his heart (or so I recall). I would think the Hounds of the Baskerville would be better anyway, since it's a better known story. I don't even think Watson is in Scarlett. But, I agree, with context, there is nothing wrong with it, as long as you cover the culture of England at the time, and the wacky rumors about Mormons (and the kidnapped girls hurling themselves from the temple spire into the Great Salt Lake).

Now reviewing it, my memory is off. Watson is essentially the narrator. See how memorable it was?

Edited by bytebear

A pencil with an eraser is by far the most powerful weapon in our times. Deleting or rewriting history because it's not nice, fluffy, or because it's offense or politically incorrect, could undo our entire way of life faster and easier than any nuclear weapon.

Am I missing something? The article talks about the book having been removed from the reading list, has it in fact been banned (in this context from the school libraries)? I can understand arguments that it might be more beneficial to discuss the book in it's historical context but just because a book isn't on a reading list doesn't mean it's been banned.

Edited by Dravin

When I was a PTA president years ago, there was a series of books that was removed from the reading list for 5-6 graders. I'm trying to remember the name of the series...it will come to me. A reading list doesn't necessarily mean that it was a book students are required to read. It's a list of books that are appropriate for a certain age level. We had a list of books that we, as a school, were required to have in the library.

It was completely removed from the library system in the schools. When you have something taken completely out of the libraries of the schools..I'd say it was banned. Basically "removed from reading list" is a euphemism for banned.

Edited by pam

With things like Project Gutenberg and other e-book sites that offer them for free, it's extremely difficult for censors to prevent people from reading unless they were to install tough internet filters like China and North Korea do. One thing I do know for sure, is that I'm not ashamed of my love for reading, and the only way someone is going to remove a real book from me is to pry it from my cold, dead hands. I refuse to get a Kindle or other electronic reader as I blame them in part for putting bookstores such as Borders out of business.

To me a banned book is a book that is not longer published or available because of whatever was offensive. I think as parents, teachers, administration we have an obligation to make sure the voluntary reading lists as well as the required reading lists are age appropriate. I don't agree that "removed from reading list" automatically equals "banned."

In the years my children went to school I only ran across ONE teacher who actually discussed the context of an offensive book so that children got the whole picture. If that's changed in the last 5 years I think that's great. But if it hasn't then there is a big problem in schools. I suspect nothing has changed.

Parents must be involved AND they should be able to opt out for books they find offensive. Unfortunately, in Utah the State School Board decides what is required reading and they don't care what parents think about it. At least that was my experience.

As far as Sherlock Holmes and derogatory remarks about Mormons goes...well, we've seen and heard it all before. It was something we discussed with our children as they ran into situation in school and elsewhere so that they understood where the misperceptions comes from.

I guess it depends on the school and on the district. We had 2 lists. Books required to be in the library and the required reading lists. Books on the required reading lists were kept in the classrooms and not in the library. The PTA purchased enough books for each classroom to have copies of for the classrooms.

If it was removed from the required libary and removed from the library it was considered banned.

I believe there are books that should be banned from 6 grade readers that are classic and available to the general population. Are we to think “adult” books are only so because of “sexual”, “R” rated content?

Books recommended to 11 year olds in 6th grade should be appropriate for that age group. I can understand that there are many historical events (like the treatment of POW’s during the civil war) that I would not consider appropriate for grade 6 studies. This does not mean that the material is not historical, untrue or should not be studied - just not by children in the 6th grade.

I have one other thing to say concerning this issue. I strongly believe that what children are taught should be considered and decided by the local community. I believe a community should have the right to say what is or what is not taught to their children. This right is diminished at the state level that should have some say but I believe it is up to the local communities to determine their studies in public schools. I do not believe that the federal government should have any input at all. Such input, I believe to be a serious breach of basic freedom and individual and community rights.

The Traveler

I'm not saying that Parents don't have the right to tell the teachers not have the kids read a book, that is the right of the parents.

I don't mind a book being removed from a reading list.

I do, however, mind books being banned, leads to a book police and you never know which books they will ban.

I guess my thoughts are we should have the freedom to choose which books we and our kids can read, put the responisblity on the parents to guide their children, not the state. I think Parents should decide if the book should be off the reading list, not the state.

Wow!! I'm in shock over reading how people in the Bible belt are now starting to become respectful towards Mormons!! We're definitely making progress!!:)

Hey we took all the heat for prop 8 for all those other church's. They have to like us now. At least until one of us gets in the White House. Then we'll be satan's church again. ;)

Actually from the way pam has been describing it, the process is more of a method to keep a workable volume of books in the shcool libraries. After all, they only have so much room. At some point decisions have to be made as to what books stay and what books go to make room for newer publications.

The process she described isn't so much 'banning' books as it is removing them from the school inventory because nobody is using them in class any longer.

I could be off base here, and pam will correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems to be making a mountain out of a molehill. After all, How many of us have read the Sherlock Holmes story before this thread was up? I know I haven't, and I love Sherlock Holmes stories.