Debating Religion

cwirth

Ok, so I'm a member of this other random forum and I started a topic asking if anyone there was LDS. There were a few people that came on and started arguing with me, telling me my religion was bad and corrupt, and another person started putting down the missionaries. That's just how it started. It branched off to other topic, and we were just going back and forth and it went nowhere. And it lasted wuite a few days.

The biggest reason for my sharing this with you all is that You guys would understand, and at the other forum, I was the only one. Mostly everyone else was against me, because they just can't see our church the way we do.

But also, I wanted to know what you guys think about debating religion. Do you ever get into those type of situations? What do you think is the right way to handle it.

For me, I found that it became a competition of pride and just being right. After thinking about it, I realized that I needed to talk to these people with a more softened heart, and more love (you know, love your enemies, etc etc), and that I needed to pray for help. I did and eventually I decided that the answer was to end it. I couldn't help but to make it a competition of pride, and I didn't want people to see me, and therefore, since I was the only LDS one there, our church, in that way.

I wanted to know what you guys think about debating religion. Do you ever get into those type of situations? What do you think is the right way to handle it.

You may want to stick around and read some of the strings here. About 70% are LDS. The rest are a smattering of Christians, the occasional Muslim, agnostics, etc. Sometimes the conversations degenerate, but quite often they are intelligent and fruitful.

Furthermore, particularly for interacting with non-LDS conservative Christianity, I highly recommend the book, How Wide the Divide: A Morman and an Evangelical in Conversation. It's written by two friends, one a BYU professor, the other, an evangelical Christian religion professor from Denver Seminary. They are polite, respectful, yet upfront with the differences. Their purpose is to set a higher example for dialogue.

By way of disclosure, I'm a Pentecostal Christian--but they've put up with me here for nearly a year now. :sparklygrin:

What do you think is the right way to handle it.

Welcome WoS,

I would suggest to hang out at LDStalk for awhile; check out the General and Gospel discussions. See how others conduct themselves and if you're daring, get permission to check out the Open Forum (PM Heather) for somewhat controversial subjects that posters like to discuss.

You'll probably find here that humour goes a long way.

M.

debating religion.....

can be fun for those mature enough to understand that everyone has their own views, and also the talks can be very interesting when you have the chance to see from another point of view too.

Just because you might agree or disagree with someone on their views about a subject doesn't mean that you are right or they are wrong... because both see themselves as correct in what they believe. Even LDS have different views on things at times. But that is what makes up the world.. different people, different views.

It's a good thing you know the difference :)

I agree with the others.... there are some great topics...great debates... and I'll add in... some great learning opportunities with an open heart and mind.

Welcome to the board :)

Martin Luther debated practices in the Roman Catholic Church. His views, along with others, helped to spark the Reformation. When the debates left the intellectual level and began to spread politically and among the masses, it caused quite a large upheaval in Europe. It caused thousands of deaths because people couldn't agree on the number of sacraments among other things.

There is a difference in explaining your beliefs, LDS or not, and attacking anothers beliefs. We appreciate the discussion of our, for those who are LDS, with others regarding their beliefs and the same given to others to express their beliefs. We will not tolerate attacks on ones belief of any faith.

Ben Raines

• 3 weeks later...

We acn't kill anyone, (unless God tells us to).

:lol:

considering how...you "feel" God....I would feel much safer if you just promised.......... :idea:

Josh B)

(I'm just teasing you guys...if I though you might kill me...I would have changed my name and left the country yesterday....)

:o I can't believe you just said that!!!

And how do I feel about God?

Did you read all about nephi getting the plates of brass when you were reading the BoM?

He was TOLD to kill Laban!

:o I can't believe you just said that!!!

And how do I feel about God?

Did you read all about nephi getting the plates of brass when you were reading the BoM?

He was TOLD to kill Laban!

not "feel about" god... you believe God is telling you something because you feel it...

and didn't you read the last part?

"(I'm just teasing you guys...if I though you might kill me...I would have changed my name and left the country yesterday....)"

Josh B)

I was taught in seminary.

My very first year. :D:D (whoch was last year... I only have one year..

:() First, it is Sons of Perdition, then it is murder, than it is breaking the law of chastity.

I believe that there is loop holes to everything, depnding on peoples hearts and stuff, because God is all fair and all understanding... but, basically, you don't do that!