If You Couldn't Be What You Are, What Would Your Next Choice Be?

prisonchaplain

...What do you find attractive about other faiths?

Lutheran - It's the one worship service that I'm definitely comfortable with. I like their moderate take on certain activities. Evangelical Lutherans do not have a problem with dancing or drinking alcohol.

Pentecostal - Before a pentecostal worship service, they would always spend at least half an hour, maybe more, singing "spiritual songs", not really hymns. The kind with the words projected on the wall, so that everyone can sing, even if you're not familiar with the song. My favorites are the ones that are usually from the book of Psalms, that someone has put a melody to. I've always wondered if there's an offical group of people that do this. :)

Salvation Army - Definitely a "service" organization without the judgement. I would sometimes attend the Ladies Campouts with my friend at Pine Lake, AB years ago. There were always fun and humourous activities.

LDS - Mormons like to dance, well they used to when I was a teenager. Youth dances were a very regular occurence. They even had Dance Festivals and Road Shows (not sure if they still do) - I participated in these also. TP'ing cars or houses and chinese firedrills were very "Mormon" things to do (not sure if these still happen, it could just be a 'generational' thing). I also found that Education Week and some of the Relief Society events where they focused on the day to day "inspirational" talks were beneficial.

Anglican - I once was part of a choir at my friend's Anglican church and the music director was very old, he must have been in his '80's. He taught us the most unusal hymns. My favorite Christmas carol I learned from this man, The Holly and the Ivy and I'm guessing a very old hymn called Adam Lay Ybounden, here's the lyrics:

Adam lay ybounden,

Bounden in a bond;

Four thousand winter

Thought he not too long.

And all was for an apple,

An apple that he took,

As clerkès finden

Written in their book.

Né had the apple taken been

The apple taken been,

Né had never our lady

Abeen heavené queen.

Blessèd be the time

That apple taken was.

Therefore we moun singen

Deo Gracias!

http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Adam_la..._(John_Ireland)

M.

This may come as a surprise to you my friend PC but without the restoration of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I would be a Buddhist. In all my research this is the only faith that has a history of teaching and living by the principles that Jesus taught.

When Buddhism went into China, China was a region of great conflict. Unlike other religions that seem to be spread by the sword and bloodshed, Buddhism was spread with love and kindness. Where Buddhism has come peace has followed.

Having lived among Buddhist (a good and close friend of mine is a Buddhist monk) I am amazed at their kindness and honesty. There is hardly crime, divorce or violence among communities of Buddhist. I am sorry I did not save the survey but a travel organization left wallets with large sums of cash in many communities though out the world. There was not a single instance where a Buddhist took the cash - even after months with no one claiming the wallet. Also keep in mind that many Buddhist communities are among the poorest communities in the world.

An interesting side note is that Christian communities (a certain denomination I will not mention) the cash always disappeared sometimes within minutes. Jesus said that his disciples are to be identified by their love of others and by their fruits. If one takes Jesus at his word then in my opinion Buddhist are some of the best Christians on earth.

The Traveler

I would probably be some form of Catholic. They have rules, but they seem to be more like suggestions on how to live. And as long as you hit a mass once or twice a year (and it doesn't even have to be on a Sunday!) and go to confession occasionally, you're considered to be in good standing with them.

I would probably be some form of Catholic. They have rules, but they seem to be more like suggestions on how to live. And as long as you hit a mass once or twice a year (and it doesn't even have to be on a Sunday!) and go to confession occasionally, you're considered to be in good standing with them.

I agree with you......like I said earlier.....during football season.....I could attend on saturday.....

The Traveler as a Buddhist would not surprise me at all. I can see the appeal of Buddhism on an individual level. In fact, one practioner told me he did not even consider his Buddhism to be a religion--but more of a mental exercise, that brought him a sense of calm and "centeredness."

<div class='quotemain'>

I agree with you......like I said earlier.....during football season.....I could attend on saturday.....

For me, the appeal of Catholicism is that it was the first established Christian church to gain traction. Yes, the are other groups, but this one flourished, and continues to claim the allegiance of half of those who call themselves followers of the Christ. Several Mormons have suggested to me that the LDS view of spiritual authority is such that only the COJCLDS and the Roman Catholic Church stand as options. So, if the RCC were not apostate (in the most generous understanding of the term), then it would be the logical 2nd choice. Thoughts?

<div align="left">I think I'd go with being a Wiccan, I'm a nature nut, and they have a very earthy free spirit about themselves. They have natural herbs to heal the ill, and they do not judge others harshly. Most of the pepole I've met that practice Wicca are very nice, clear headded people I have ever met.

<You have to understand that being different does not make them bad people>

</div>