Six Days Of Creation?!

JoshuaFKon

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"As written fiction, Kobol is an anagram of the Mormon "Kolob", a celestial body named in the Book of Abraham and identified as being near the home or origin of God. Many connections between Mormon beliefs and the story of the original Battlestar Galactica have been pointed out by observant fans. Glen A. Larson, the writer of the original series, is himself a Mormon and articulated some of his religious beliefs through this science fiction metaphor. "Kobol" and its name is part of the mythopoetic fabric of "Battlestar Galactica" that borrows from theology. The Mormon hymn If you could hie to Kolob touches on themes related both to the original and the reimagined series."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobol

Oh no, you have started something that may never end because I am a very dedicated and annoying fan of Battlestar Galactica (just ask my family).

From the October 2006 edition of the SciFi Channel Magazine:

The series has won a prestigious Peabody Award and an American Film Institute Award, ranked number one on Time magazine's list Best TV Shows of 2005 and received consistent critical gushing from publications like Rolling Stone and Entertainment Weekly.

Tricia Helfer (Canadian actress and model) also won a Leo Award for her part in the S2 episode Pegasus!

It is considered a SciFi show but the stories are more character centered; so even someone who is not a scifi fan might enjoy it. If you're bored with this season's fall shows, I recommend BSG, it's great! - Season 3 starts in October.

M.

<div class='quotemain'>

"As written fiction, Kobol is an anagram of the Mormon "Kolob", a celestial body named in the Book of Abraham and identified as being near the home or origin of God. Many connections between Mormon beliefs and the story of the original Battlestar Galactica have been pointed out by observant fans. Glen A. Larson, the writer of the original series, is himself a Mormon and articulated some of his religious beliefs through this science fiction metaphor. "Kobol" and its name is part of the mythopoetic fabric of "Battlestar Galactica" that borrows from theology. The Mormon hymn If you could hie to Kolob touches on themes related both to the original and the reimagined series."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobol

Oh no, you have started something that may never end because I am a very dedicated and annoying fan of Battlestar Galactica (just ask my family).

From the October 2006 edition of the SciFi Channel Magazine:

The series has won a prestigious Peabody Award and an American Film Institute Award, ranked number one on Time magazine's list Best TV Shows of 2005 and received consistent critical gushing from publications like Rolling Stone and Entertainment Weekly.

Tricia Helfer (Canadian actress and model) also won a Leo Award for her part in the S2 episode Pegasus!

It is considered a SciFi show but the stories are more character centered; so even someone who is not a scifi fan might enjoy it. If you're bored with this season's fall shows, I recommend BSG, it's great! - Season 3 starts in October.

M.

AHH! ANOTHER ONE!

I will add my thoughts on this subject; as rediculous as some might think they are. First of all, I agree with A.K. when he says that the six days represent six time periods. Although, I too am unsure of how long these time periods would have been. It is important to note that in the Pearl of Great Price, it says that Kolob is the closest body to the residence of God, and that the time reckoning of Kolob is also the closest to the time reckoning of God; which is one thousand to one Earth years; and not the actual reckoning of God.

I believe that Kolob is a planet in our solar system. I also believe that the universe works in a patriarchal order; all the way from atoms to solar systems to galaxies.

Hello Everyone! :)

I am pleased to announce that I have an answer to prehaps my biggest question! Sorry this is not one of my mormon questions...

Anyway, as I said before, I am also researching Christianity. Now what is the hardest thing about Christianity to believe? That the world was created in six days...all evidence points towards the universe being about 15 billion years old. The usual christian responce is that "a day with the Lord is like a thousand years" But I just don't buy that...I mean #1 talk about taking a verse out of context #2 add six thousand years and you're still about...oh 15 billion years short. Grasping at straws...

So what's the answer?

Well, I was reading an excellent book ("The Science of God" by Gerald L. Schroeder)

And his theory is....I hope I can explain this....

Remember Enstein's thoery of relitivity? that means if you were watching the creation of Earth from...say...a huge plant thousands of times bigger than earth...than 100 years of time on earth would pass in a year of your time.

But what if you were watching the creation of the universe from the perspective of the whole universe? (the only perspective there could be for all of creation)

Well...I can't explain it here without typing the whole chapter of the book, but from that perspcetive 15 billion years (the age of the universe) would take...six days!

Not only that...but the days match up right too!

Day One 15,750,000,000 years ago The creation of light (Gen. 1:1-5) The big bang marks the creation of the universe, light literally breaks free as electrons bond to atomic nuclei;

Day Two 7,750,000,000 years ago The heavenly firmament forms (Gen. 1:6-8) Disk of Milky Way forms; Sun, a main sequence star forms

Day Three 3,750,000,000 years ago Oceans and dry land appear; the first life, plants appear (Gen. 1:9-13 The earth has cool and liquid water appears 3.8 billion years ago followed almost immediately by the first forms of life, bacteria and photosynthetic algae

Day Four 1,750,000,000 years ago Sun, Moon, and stars become visible in heavens (Gen 1:14-19) Earth's Atmoshere becomes transparent; photosynthesis produces oxygen-righ atmosphere

Day Five 750,000,000 years ago First animal life swarms abundantly in water; followed by reptiles and winged animals (Gen. 1:20-23) First multicellular animal; waters swarm with animal life having the basic body plans of all future animals; winged insect apper

Day Six 250,000,000 Land animals; mammals' humankind (Gen. 1:24-31) Massive extinction destroys over 90% of life. Land is repopulated: hominids and then humans

Now I'm not saying I believe in evolution at all....

But isn't that an interesting theroy?

Love to hear what you guys think!

Josh :)

Part of the problem with these kinds of theories is that they are dependent on English versions that are not really translations of ancient documents. A variant reading of Genesis could read " When G-d first covenanted with man". Rather than "In the beginning". Also what is translated as a "day" of creation could also be translated as "during the first period".

Days on earth are counted in rotations of the earth. One complete rotation we call a day. There is no reason that I can think of to define creation based on the rotation of the earth - especially since our galaxy, solar system, and earth is a secondary creation. That is, the earth has heavy medals which could not have been created in our current solar system and thus part of our solar system was created from the destruction of star other than our sun.

I have tried to advise you - if you desire to learn of science - seek out someone successful (expert) in science. I suggest you stop by your local library or Amazon.com and get a recent book on Cosmology. Be sure to get something after 1998. There have been some rather interesting discovers since then. And just for your information - the Big Bang is a nifty theory but there are major problems - never-the-less it is the best theory on the table for now.

The religious theories of science have seldom lasted even 50 years - there is far to much speculation - and with your desire to dig up alternate ideas - I doubt you will find any real science books to support the religious speculation you are enjoying. I wish you well in your “research” especially if you ever attend a university with a respected science program.

The Traveler

<div class='quotemain'>

I believe that Kolob is a planet in our solar system. I also believe that the universe works in a patriarchal order; all the way from atoms to solar systems to galaxies.

Why do you believe that?

That seems a little far fetched to me...

Do you have any reasoning?

Yes, I have my reasoning but it is rather personal. Suffice it to say that I believe such, and then you can ponder on it. See if it makes any sense to you.

L.H.

<div class='quotemain'>

So, do you think we are physically close to God?

That is a good question. I believe that we are physically close to Jesus, but I'm unsure about God the Father. Again, it is personal reasons why I believe this so I won't go into details as to why.

L.H.

This is a no brainier for a Christian (me). Man is fallen from G-d (the Father) - both physically and spiritually. The only (ONE) G-d a fallen person can be "close" to is the Mediator, Jesus The Christ (who acts in the name of G-d the Father). If this is not true then Jesus is a fraud and there is no need for redemption of sins by a Messiah in order to come unto G-d the Father - or the G-d that was the G-d of heaven prior to the fall.

The Traveler

Hello Traveler,

you said,

The only (ONE) G-d a fallen person can be "close" to is the Mediator, Jesus The Christ (who acts in the name of G-d the Father). If this is not true then Jesus is a fraud and there is no need for redemption of sins by a Messiah in order to come unto G-d the Father - or the G-d that was the G-d of heaven prior to the fall.

What do you mean that Jesus would be "a fraud"? and there would be no need for redemtpoin by the Messiah?

Thanks,

Dr. T

Hello Traveler,

you said,

The only (ONE) G-d a fallen person can be "close" to is the Mediator, Jesus The Christ (who acts in the name of G-d the Father). If this is not true then Jesus is a fraud and there is no need for redemption of sins by a Messiah in order to come unto G-d the Father - or the G-d that was the G-d of heaven prior to the fall.

What do you mean that Jesus would be "a fraud"? and there would be no need for redemption by the Messiah?

Thanks,

Dr. T

Jesus said that he is "the way" meaning the way to the tree of life (the Father's love). Jesus said that no man comes unto the father but by him. If man can "come" unto the same G-d before and after the fall (for anything) then a Mediator is not necessary. If fallen man can access the same G-d as before the fall (as for Moses, Abraham and others) - then there is no need for redemption of sin to come unto G-d. A mediator or redemption is therefore not necessary - what then is the need for a Messiah or a mediator if a man has access to the same G-d before and after the fall?

The doctrine of Messiah, savior and mediator because a lie.

The Traveler

Hello Everyone! :)

I am pleased to announce that I have an answer to prehaps my biggest question! Sorry this is not one of my mormon questions...

Anyway, as I said before, I am also researching Christianity. Now what is the hardest thing about Christianity to believe? That the world was created in six days...all evidence points towards the universe being about 15 billion years old. The usual christian responce is that "a day with the Lord is like a thousand years" But I just don't buy that...I mean #1 talk about taking a verse out of context #2 add six thousand years and you're still about...oh 15 billion years short. Grasping at straws...

So what's the answer?

Well, I was reading an excellent book ("The Science of God" by Gerald L. Schroeder)

And his theory is....I hope I can explain this....

Remember Enstein's thoery of relitivity? that means if you were watching the creation of Earth from...say...a huge plant thousands of times bigger than earth...than 100 years of time on earth would pass in a year of your time.

But what if you were watching the creation of the universe from the perspective of the whole universe? (the only perspective there could be for all of creation)

Well...I can't explain it here without typing the whole chapter of the book, but from that perspcetive 15 billion years (the age of the universe) would take...six days!

Not only that...but the days match up right too!

Day One 15,750,000,000 years ago The creation of light (Gen. 1:1-5) The big bang marks the creation of the universe, light literally breaks free as electrons bond to atomic nuclei;

Day Two 7,750,000,000 years ago The heavenly firmament forms (Gen. 1:6-8) Disk of Milky Way forms; Sun, a main sequence star forms

Day Three 3,750,000,000 years ago Oceans and dry land appear; the first life, plants appear (Gen. 1:9-13 The earth has cool and liquid water appears 3.8 billion years ago followed almost immediately by the first forms of life, bacteria and photosynthetic algae

Day Four 1,750,000,000 years ago Sun, Moon, and stars become visible in heavens (Gen 1:14-19) Earth's Atmoshere becomes transparent; photosynthesis produces oxygen-righ atmosphere

Day Five 750,000,000 years ago First animal life swarms abundantly in water; followed by reptiles and winged animals (Gen. 1:20-23) First multicellular animal; waters swarm with animal life having the basic body plans of all future animals; winged insect apper

Day Six 250,000,000 Land animals; mammals' humankind (Gen. 1:24-31) Massive extinction destroys over 90% of life. Land is repopulated: hominids and then humans

Now I'm not saying I believe in evolution at all....

But isn't that an interesting theroy?

Love to hear what you guys think!

Josh :)

Hi Josh,

I apologize if this quesiton has already been answered, but I just started reading this thread and at this point I don't get what you mean by a "day" because your math doesn't seem to make sense.

Can you tell me how you figured out your math, and why each "day" period is different than the others?

Day 1 = 15,750,000,000 years ago ( Why that number? What information did you use for that? )

Day 2 = 7,750,000,000 years ago ( day 1 was 8 billion years long??? )

Day 3 = 3,750,000,000 years ago ( day 2 was 4 billion years long??? )

Day 4 = 1,750,000,000 years ago ( day 3 was 2 billion years long??? )

Day 5 = 750,000,000 years ago ( day 4 was 1 billion years long??? )

Day 6 = 250,000,000 years ago ( day 5 was 500 million years long??? )

I don't see why you think your numbers make sense, or why you have chosen those numbers.

Can you help explain what you meant by those ideas? I have no idea what you mean.