Temple Ordinances & Jesus

Dr T

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also think the that the "eternal progression" theory, is in direct confilict with the..."There is only one God" verses throughout the Bible.

(where do you think the first God came from?)

One thing I might point out here Josh is that in the original Hebrew text of the Bible, the word "God" was "Elohiem" The translators just assumed that this was His name so whenever the word "Elohiem" came up, they just wrote "God". However, the Hebrew word for God is actually "Elo" And to put the 'Hiem' behind it actually makes it plural. So the word "Elohiem" actually means "The Gods"

L.H.

Lionheart,

could you do me a personal favor.

clear up some thing for me...

Do Mormons believe that more than one God exist?

God served his "god" right? and so on and so on... I guess I could be wrong about mormon beliefs...

Thanks

Josh B)

Some do, some don't. It just depends on how informed they are on LDS doctrine. But the official LDS doctrine is that "In the heavens, there are Gods many". The book of Abraham, found in the Pearl of Great Price is loaded with this doctrine.

L.H.

<div class='quotemain'>

Don't ask him... he believes that mormons believe that Jesus is married.

Look it up yourself Josh! The Nature of God, at www.mormon.org .

Learn something!

Don't worry Des. I'm not offended. I'm only going by the teachings of the founding Prophets of the Mormon religion. But hey, what did they know?

L.H.

They know alot, but they are human, and you have misinterperated things and confused me on many aspects (of mostly the trinity) and I am just afraid to get confused again. :(

They know alot, but they are human, and you have misinterperated things and confused me on many aspects (of mostly the trinity) and I am just afraid to get confused again. :(

I'm sorry I've confused you. Did you take the time to read all of the posts? This doctrine can be confusing if you don't know the whole picture. If you read all of the posts carefully, I think you will find that it makes perfect sense, and that I didn't misinterpret the things that I studied.

Take care,

L.H.

Des,

You said,

I am sad for you... this gosple is true.

You may not see it now... and you may not until judgment.. but it is the same thing as water being wet.

So, are you saying, "the gospel is all wet"?

I'm sorry, I couldn't pass that up. Didn't mean any harm. If it was taken that way, I truely am very sorry. I didn't mean anything by it. I just thought it was funny.

Dr. T

Hey Des. By the way, did you know that your avatar rattles?

Ya. I think it is cute. :)

Anyway, if you wouldn't mind telling me, what part of my previous posts concerning the GodHead did you find confusing?

Perhaps I can explain further in an attempt to un-do some of the confusion I caused.

I hadn't slept in a couple of months, so things just take a little while to process sometimes.

I looked on LDS.org about the God Head, and I think I am set with that.

Thank you for your concern though!

It made me smile. :D

Des, I sense a little agitation/anger even? in some of your replies to Josh, I hope that you are not getting too upset by his posts. I think that they are very thought provoking and I'm enjoying reading the replies that Lionheart is giving concerning what he believes to be Mormon doctrine...

Please try to stay calm, even if you disagree with the reasons Josh gives for him being here asking the questions he does, it is not good for you to be too upset!!

(That remark goes also to such posters as Brother Dorsey, LisaJo and maybe others :) )

Baptism, and celestail marriage. Baptism because this signifies that you are willing to make the covenant that you will live the laws of God. And celestail marriage because there are things a man learns after marriage that He cannot learn anywhere else. A marriage can be, and is a test in and of itself. But it is an abomination to the Lord for people to co-habit with whoever they feel like and spread their seed unscrupulously. Therefore, there are covenants made between man and wife.

L.H.

Why did Paul teach that it is better for a man not to marry and to be as he was? Was he teaching heresy?

Not only did Paul teach this, but he did not marry, something you say is required. You would think that Paul, a bondservant of Christ and God, would have been married if that is what God commanded of us in order to enter the celestial kingdom.

But I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain even as I am; but if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion. (1 Cor 7:8)

Even Jesus agreed that some do not marry and that they do it for the sake of the kingdom. Did Jesus teach contrary to the ordinances required for a man to become like God? Why would He teach against the purpose for which He came (if marriage is a requirement)? And how is it that a man who does not marry does it for the sake of the kingdom when you say that it is a requirement even to enter that kingdom?

His disciples said to Him, “If such is the case of the man with his wife, it is better not to marry.”

But He said to them, “All cannot accept this saying, but only those to whom it has been given: For there are eunuchs who were born thus from their mother’s womb, and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven’s sake. He who is able to accept it, let him accept it.” (Matt 19:10)

If I am not understanding correctly, please explain.

Thanks Karrie91,

I've never heard Sheol (if that's what you meant) paired with heaven. I've always heard that Hebrew word meant something like this

Sheol (שאול) is the Hebrew language word denoting the "abode of the dead"; the "underworld", "the common grave of mankind" or "pit". It is also transliterated Sheh-ole, in Strong's Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries and Strong's Concordances. In the Hebrew Bible it is portrayed as a comfortless place beneath the earth, beyond gates, where both the bad and the good, slave and king, pious and wicked must go after death to sleep in silence and oblivion in the dust. In some sources, for example in Deuteronomy 32:22, Sheol seems to be synonymous with the "depths of the earth". Sheol is sometimes compared to the gloomy, twilight afterlife of Hades or Tartarus from Greek mythology. Sheol is the common destination of both the righteous and the unrighteous dead; the righteous Job sees it as his destination (Job 3). In the Book of Job, while Satan is portrayed as tormenting and testing the living, he does not appear to have any particular presidency over Sheol, or to dwell in Sheol.

That was taken from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheol

Thanks,

Dr. T

I remember reading some Bible verses where the argument can be made that "there is no excuse." Something about "the heavens proclaim Your handiwork" (Psm or Pr 8?) Romans where "it is written on our hearts." Etc. I've always wondered about that.

Dr. T

Des, I sense a little agitation/anger even? in some of your replies to Josh, I hope that you are not getting too upset by his posts. I think that they are very thought provoking and I'm enjoying reading the replies that Lionheart is giving concerning what he believes to be Mormon doctrine...

Please try to stay calm, even if you disagree with the reasons Josh gives for him being here asking the questions he does, it is not good for you to be too upset!!

(That remark goes also to such posters as Brother Dorsey, LisaJo and maybe others :) )

I am sorry you think that.

I am totally calm.

Since there are rites of passage that need to be accomplished before progressing to godhood this bring me to a question about Jesus. Jesus is held up as a God in LDS teachings and I assume then, that He would have to accomplish all those ordinances as well. Do you see Him as became a god without accomplishing them? Being married in the temple for example might be one He did not accomplish. What are some others that are required that we do not know if He fulfilled? Thank you.

Dr. T

Hi Doc,

Just a few points of clarification.

We (LDS) do NOT believe that marriage in a temple (building) of our Lord is necessary before "progressing to godhood".

Marriage in a temple (building) of our Lord is necessary only when there is a temple (building) of our Lord on this Earth that is available and fit for that purpose... and a temple (building) is NOT the only thing necessary... because there are other things necessary.

There must also be a man and woman who are willing to be eternally married, in heaven as well as on Earth, and there must also be a man with priesthood keys to perform an eternal marriage ceremony.

And btw, eternal marriage is necessary only when a man and woman desire to have children, because in no other way can children be formed. There must be a man and a woman to produce children, in heaven as well as on Earth.

Or in other words, if a man or woman do not desire to be etermally married, they can still attain to a certain level of "godhood"... or in other words, they can still become as God to a certain degree... while living as "singles" in heaven.

Oh, and one more thing.

If our Lord ever desires to have a "real" wife, a wife who is literal and not figurative... or if our Lord desires to have literal children and not just those who He has adopted, either in heaven or right here on Earth, He will do so by following the commands of our Father, and our Father has told Him, as He already knows, that He must be eternally married.

I hope that helps you understand this issue. :)

<div class='quotemain'>

I am sorry you think that.

I am totally calm.

Thanks for that reassurance Des, I'm pleased to hear it. :)