Which sin do you think is more pervasive in today's society?

PrinceofLight2000

Which sin is more pervasive in today's society?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which sin is more pervasive in today's society?

Choosing between conceit and envy, I think I have to go with envy. This is because envy is all around us. Conceit only comes when someone finds a reason to be prideful or think they are better than others. Not everyone has that "luxury" so to speak. But those who are not conceited are very likely to be envious of those who are AND those who are conceited are usually still envious of others.

Two sides of the same coin (pride), methinks. I would venture to guess that those afflicted with conceit would suffer from envy if they were in more straitened circumstances--and vice versa.

Conceit generally leads to attempts to enforce the status quo. Envy generally leads to attempts to change the status quo. The effects of either, taken to extremes, can be horrific (compare, e.g., Bloody Sunday to the Bolshevik Revolution).

Two sides of the same coin (pride), methinks. I would venture to guess that those afflicted with conceit would suffer from envy if they were in more straitened circumstances--and vice versa.

Conceit generally leads to attempts to enforce the status quo. Envy generally leads to attempts to change the status quo. The effects of either, taken to extremes, can be horrific (compare, e.g., Bloody Sunday to the Bolshevik Revolution).

That's part of the reason why I posted this.

Of the two I'd have to go with envy. One of the biggest problems today is the excessive debt that most ppl (including businesses and governments) are in. That kind of debt occurs because of envy in many ways. You want something so bad you have to have it now no matter the cost. Usually you want it because the world is in some way telling you you need it. That envy drives the debt market.

Though I think there is a lot of conceit I don't think it's as great as it appears on the surface. I think most that appear to be conceited at first are really the most insecure, they are over compensating. They really envy everyone else and lavish themselves with things no matter the debt to appear greater than others.