Could A Mormon Be President?

Latter Days Guy

I received an email the other day called could a Mormon be President? It was all about someone called Governor Mitt Romney who is going to run for President as the Republican candidate. Here's a link to the webpage that they emailed me.

So what do you American brothers and sisters think of this guy and does he stand a chance of becoming the Republican candidate for the upcoming elections.

Also found this site aswell, Evangelicals for Mitt

GB-UK,

Matt Romney is currently the governor of Massachusetts. It's remarkable that he is a Republican governor of a traditionally Democratic state, but I doubt he'll be elected President of the U.S. Whether we like it or not, there is prejudice against LDS in the United States. It may not be an issue for some people, but others think, for whatever reason, that we are not Christian, and they will only vote for someone they consider to be a Christian.

Personally, though I think it would be great having an LDS prez, I would probably not vote for Mr. Romney because I'm a liberal (unless the Dems choose somebody really awful to run against him!). Now, if we can just find a good, liberal LDS person to run for President, I'd be a happy camper!

Dror

hay i dont have a clue what u are chatting out Sorry but am just saying HI as its so cool to see another Uk Latter day saint here :P

what stake are you in? hope to hear from you soon! Nicole :D

Click on the links and read. That is the way to learn. Even if you do live in the UK - you will still be affected by who the US elects as their President.

By the way GB-UK, thank you so much for those links- BOTH were very informative.

Actually, at the time of his martyrdom, Joseph Smith was in the process of running for president of the U.S. He probably would have won it too. He was going to have all of the missionaries stop their missionary work and start promoting his campaign. And with their newly acquired skills in oration, they would done a good job of it. The Church was only in ill favor with the people in the generalized Missouri/Illinois area. Most people in other states had never heard of the Mormons before, so there would not have been the prejudices in most places.

L.H.

hay i dont have a clue what u are chatting out Sorry but am just saying HI as its so cool to see another Uk Latter day saint here :P

what stake are you in? hope to hear from you soon!

Nicole :D

Hi Nicole, I will be attending the North Shields Ward, in North Tyneside. AFAIK this used to be in the Sunderland Stake but that could have changed since the last time I was there almost 20 years ago :dontknow:

What Stake are you in?

The polls I have seen show that McCain would kick Hillary's glutteus maximus with little trouble while Gulliani would beat her by a smaller margin. Personally, I'd like to see a McCain/Romney ticket.

Of course it would be interesting to see Reid try to run for the Democratic nomination (there's no literacy test after all) but then again he is too conservative to even dream of getting the Democratic nomination. Ironic isn't it?

Mitt Romney has done great things for Massachussetts, and the people there recognize it. There was this huge article on him (he even made the cover) of this magazine I found in the library at the university here. Anyway, it also had a poll about what percentage of people wouldn't vote for a mormon, and it turns out that 17% of the people in our country wouldn't vote for somebody only based on the fact that they're mormon. That's saddening.

Mitt Romney has done great things for Massachussetts, and the people there recognize it. There was this huge article on him (he even made the cover) of this magazine I found in the library at the university here. Anyway, it also had a poll about what percentage of people wouldn't vote for a mormon, and it turns out that 17% of the people in our country wouldn't vote for somebody only based on the fact that they're mormon. That's saddening.

Does that percent mean that 17% WONT vote for him, BECAUSE he is a mormon...

Or 17% don't vote based on that fact, meaning that they don't care that he is mormon, and would vote for him anyway?

Be heartened. Apparently evangelicals are turning to Romney. After all, who else is out there? Pro-choice Guilliani? McCain? There's a group called http://www.evangelicalsformitt.org, headed up by an evangelical minister, that seems to be making headway.

Also, see the recent American Spectator article, that suggests that Mitt has already broken through with the very people many feared would doom his chances--socially conservative Christians.

http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=10274

<div class='quotemain'>

Actually, at the time of his martyrdom, Joseph Smith was in the process of running for president of the U.S. He probably would have won it too.

Based on what evidence do you think Joseph Smith had a snowballs chance in you know where of being elected President of the US?

I don't beleive there really is a whole lot of evidence regarding Joseph Smith and the presidency except that he was actually running for it. The likelyhood of him winning it was an assessment made by Samuel W. Taylor, which he expresses in his book called 'The Kingdom Or Nothing.'

L.H.

Why does religion really affect the choice. I though that the constitution had a separation of church and state.

looking at the guys credentials though. He could do it as he has a firm grasp on business and running the country has a lot of that. He knows how to make growth both financial and fundamental and he may be the person to take the USA to the next level.

Mitt has done some great things for the state of Mass.

But when he ran for the Senate, against Kenendy, he was ahead until Kenendy pulled out the religoin card.

It will be interesting to see, how Mitt will do in the Republican primarys. I don't always agree with Mitt, he is a good man and I wish him well.

Earlier this year, I went to the republican covention, for Utah were they invited McCain to speak. I was eating lunch when he started to speak and I didn't see anyone rush out to hear him speak. I don't think that there is a ground swell for McCain and I haven't heard any one better than Mitt.

I will admit that I fallow Mitt a little because he is Mormon but I will only vote for him if he campaigns on issues that are important to the United States and not just me and my religoin.

Good luck - Mitt

A.

P.S. - Boston Colledge is playing Brigham Young University in football. Who does Mitt chear for?

Why does religion really affect the choice. I though that the constitution had a separation of church and state.

The State is not suppose to favor a particular sect. However, individual citizens are free to vote for whomever they want for whatever reason they want. Trust me, we AOG folk took great interest in John Ashcroft's tenure as Attorney General. I remember my supervisor coming in, when it happened, and saying, "Did you hear? The new AG is AG." :sparklygrin: