Unclear on the concept

Vort

Guest mormonmusic

I think the poster is simply about commitment. It's distinguishing "following Christ" with "following Celebrities" on Twitter. Following someone on Twitter is something you do for entertainment, and requires no real commitment on one's part. Following Christ on the other hand means changing your life -- something you can't do with Twitter. I think that's the point of this poster.

The LOL part doesn't make sense to me though -- I don't see it as fitting, other than simply alluding to technology in our day to make the poster appealing to internet users.

At the risk of overanalyzing a fairly simplistic joke:

The humor lies in the tension between the Lord's admonition to "follow" him and the pop-culture interpretation of the rather shallow idea of "following" someone on Twitter. The "LOL" reinforces the shallow interpretation, another virtual elbow to the ribs, in effect saying, "I realize you're too stupid to understand that this is a joke without me explicitly saying something, so I'm cluing you in right now that this is intended to make you laugh." In other words, basically a smiley. (If I had searched a little harder, I would have found one that didn't have the "LOL", but I was too lazy. lol.)

The main problem with the humor is that the Lord does not "literally" want the guy following him; rather, he wants the guy to follow his teachings. So the joke actually fails as written.

But at this point we have overanalyzed the joke, so we might as well go suck the life out of something else.

Guest mormonmusic

At the risk of overanalyzing a fairly simplistic joke:

The humor lies in the tension between the Lord's admonition to "follow" him and the pop-culture interpretation of the rather shallow idea of "following" someone on Twitter. The "LOL" reinforces the shallow interpretation, another virtual elbow to the ribs, in effect saying, "I realize you're too stupid to understand that this is a joke without me explicitly saying something, so I'm cluing you in right now that this is intended to make you laugh." In other words, basically a smiley. (If I had searched a little harder, I would have found one that didn't have the "LOL", but I was too lazy. lol.)

The main problem with the humor is that the Lord does not "literally" want the guy following him; rather, he wants the guy to follow his teachings. So the joke actually fails as written.

But at this point we have overanalyzed the joke, so we might as well go suck the life out of something else.

If you didn't want to discuss its meaning, and already knew what it meant, then why did you imply you weren't getting the concept in your opening post???

If you didn't want to discuss its meaning, and already knew what it meant, then why did you imply you weren't getting the concept in your opening post???

The idea was that the young man being invited to "follow Jesus" was unclear on the concept. But now that I understand you were making a gentle attempt to explain it to me, thanks. I appreciate the effort.

It's overused.

Plus it's not quite right. Overanalyzing a joke is not the same as beating a dead horse. It's more along the lines of overanalyzing the implications of a smiley.

EDIT: No one appreciates my self-referential humor.

Edited by Vort

Plus it's not quite right. Overanalyzing a joke is not the same as beating a dead horse. It's more along the lines of overanalyzing the implications of a smiley.

I may have one of those lying around.

The colon and closing parenthesis appear consecutively to form a human face turned sideways. The upper and lower dots in the colon are taken for a simple right and left eye respectively. The closing parenthesis represents a simple mouth, turned upwards in a smile. The remaining aspect of the face (head, nose, ears, eyebrows, hair, etc) are implied.

The presence alone of a colon and closing parenthesis is not sufficient to conclude that such is being used as a smiley. Context must be taken into account. As the symbol is used to connote warmth and humor, a friendly or jovial context suggests that such was the intent of the punctuation. For instance, finding the symbol at the end of a joke almost guarantees that the smiley marks the joke as humorous. It may also follow a statement to highlight the subtle, double entendric, nature of it. The symbol may also be found signalling the warmth and friendship intended by the writer. With this meaning, a smiley may be found at the end of a statement in general agreement with previous statements (by either the same, or a different author), or even stand alone as an agreeable response to a previous statement. It may also stand alone completely to signal kind thoughts and wishes to another individual (in this case, the context to consider is the lack of additional text as well as the recipient of the smiley).

Sometimes the colon and closing parenthesis are just punctuation. One indication of this case is an unterminated opening parenthesis. An additional clue is the lack of a personal tone in the writing, such as with technical documents. Another indicator is the date of the text. If the text predates the Internet, as with the Bible, then the marks are just for punctuation.

I may have one of those lying around.

The colon and closing parenthesis appear consecutively to form a human face turned sideways. The upper and lower dots in the colon are taken for a simple right and left eye respectively. The closing parenthesis represents a simple mouth, turned upwards in a smile. The remaining aspect of the face (head, nose, ears, eyebrows, hair, etc) are implied.

The presence alone of a colon and closing parenthesis is not sufficient to conclude that such is being used as a smiley. Context must be taken into account. As the symbol is used to connote warmth and humor, a friendly or jovial context suggests that such was the intent of the punctuation. For instance, finding the symbol at the end of a joke almost guarantees that the smiley marks the joke as humorous. It may also follow a statement to highlight the subtle, double entendric, nature of it. The symbol may also be found signalling the warmth and friendship intended by the writer. With this meaning, a smiley may be found at the end of a statement in general agreement with previous statements (by either the same, or a different author), or even stand alone as an agreeable response to a previous statement. It may also stand alone completely to signal kind thoughts and wishes to another individual (in this case, the context to consider is the lack of additional text as well as the recipient of the smiley).

Sometimes the colon and closing parenthesis are just punctuation. One indication of this case is an unterminated opening parenthesis. An additional clue is the lack of a personal tone in the writing, such as with technical documents. Another indicator is the date of the text. If the text predates the Internet, as with the Bible, then the marks are just for punctuation.

This needs a laugh button... and lots of smilies! :lol::twothumbsup::bouncingclap::animatedlol::lolsign::sparklygrin::wow:

And this is Vort's smilie: :iamsmiling: