Any musicians?

bytor2112

I play the guitar :) and have for a long time. Thought I would share a bit about my gear and see if anyone else plays.

Currently I play a Fender American Stratocaster with a Seymour Duncan JB-4 humbucker in the bridge, two Texas Special Fender single coils and locking Sperzel tuners. Alder body, maple neck and rosewood fret board...very sweet.

I also play a 1991 Gibson SG....mahogany body and an ebony fretboard with Gibson 490 pickups. Not a big fan of the pickups....too muddy. I have recently order a Bill Lawrence L500L humbucker for the bridge...very excited.

I also have a Les Paul copy called an Agile 3000M...for a Korean guitar, very high quality, not Gibson quality, but nice. The guitar is a beast...a bit heavy for my taste...well over 10lbs.

Oh...and all of my guitars are black...didn't plan it that way, but, they are....

I play through a 100 watt all tube Traynor Amp. Traynor is a Canadian company and they have been making amps since the 60's...really rawking stuff. Three channels, effects loop, reverb, etc. and 4 10 inch Celesion speakers......oh, and the head can be switched from 100 watt to 30 watt mode, really changing the sound, giving it a much darker, Marshallesque sound.

For effects, I use a Cry Baby wah, and MXR analog Chorus , an MXR Phase 90 and I have a 1978 MXR distortion pedal that I use mainly as an overdrive and rely on the two channels from the amp for different high gain (saturated distortion).

Music? Mostly older rock and roll...Rush, Van Halen, Led Zepplin, etc and blues.

Anyone else?

Edited by bytor2112

I feel like I just read an episode of Star Trek. :D

Okay, I call myself a musician, but nobody else does. LOL. I have an Ibanez electric guitar hooked up to a generic pathetic excuse for a squawk box. I also have a Seagull acoustic guitar that I absolutely love. I can play Machinehead on the electric pretty good and Stairway to Heaven on the acoustic (who doesn't?). But, I self taught myself to play guitar because it was easier to carry the thing instead of the piano to sing with. I love to sing - lots of desire, zero natural talent - so I usually play my guitar to songs I like to sing off a fake book...

My piano is an 1860's era Knabe vertical grand. Love that old thing!

My 2 sons have the talent that I don't. I got a 10-year-old who can play that piano pretty good - classical, blues, modern, you name it. His 8-year-old brother plays the drums and can play As the Levy Breaks pretty good! His favorite, of course, is Neil Pert's Anatomy of a Drum Solo that he cannot play yet. LOL.

Edited by anatess

Knabes now are nice, but I don't know anything about the old ones. Don't they use a Steinway soundboard?

Music is my life outside of family and Gospel. My primary instrument is piano. I play and teach, though I'm taking leave from teaching for a couple of years until my babies are older. I don't have a great piano but I hope to someday. I'm the only one of nine children who doesn't really play guitar. I always wanted to, but I can't seem to pick it up. I do have a beautiful rosewood and cherry Art & Lutherie acoustic. I've heard it played by professionals and it has a wonderful, full sound. I can only strum a couple of chords. It looks great leaned up against my piano. :)

I also love to sing and I'm pretty good at it, I guess. I'm a strong alto. I used to write music but I haven't tried for years. I played French horn back in the day. I'd like to pick that up again when I'm out of mommy-ing.

Knabes now are nice, but I don't know anything about the old ones. Don't they use a Steinway soundboard?

The old ones are awesome. My piano is super old and rickety with a few keys in the last fret that doesn't even work anymore. But man, you play that thing and you feel like you are in a concert stage! It has that amazing natural reverb (resonance?). And no, it doesn't use a Steinway soundboard. It has its own hand crafted one competing head to head with Steinway. My husband wants to throw the thing out on the curb and get a newer second-hand piano but no, I can't get rid of that old thing. None of the affordable modern pianos can compete with it... and the Knabe's today cost an arm, a leg, and half a liver...

I really thought a salesman told me that they have Steinway soundboards. Maybe it was just that they were made at the Steinway factory. I guess there's a chance I'm thinking of the wrong brand. It was a few years ago. At any rate, how cool to have a piano with such a beautiful sound! Who cares what it looks like?

The first major purchase my husband and I made after we got married was an upright Walter piano. I have loved it all these years. Of course I would love a grand piano, but it is simply out of my budget, plus I wouldn't have a room big enough to have one.

In my younger years I learned to play the oboe in band. I had violin lessons and piano lessons as a youngster too. As a teenager I taught myself guitar--but never got very far with it. My mother was a widow with seven children. She had very little money. Her mother disapproved of her spending any money (that frankly, we didn't have) on music lessons for the children. My mother told her, "One day, I will meet my husband in the next life, and he is going to ask me what I did for his children". My grandmother didn't say anything about music lessons after that.

I play the flute, really really well I think. I can sight read, and transpose if I need to, but it being a C instrument (though you can get other kinds of flutes) if I use piano music I can play it. I can play anything in our hymn book. I rarely get to. I think flutes bore people.

I've been working on learning the piano. I can play with my right hand awesome, but my left, not so much. I am ambidextrous so it is not a coordination thing, it is the music reading thing...I'm just not used to the base clef.

I have always wanted to learn to play a drum set. I can move all four of my limbs separately, if that makes any sense. I can tap a beat w/my left foot, sing and play my other three limbs with that tempo at the same time....I'm curious to see what I could do with a few lessons.

I also sing soprano, with the ward choir :)

I really thought a salesman told me that they have Steinway soundboards. Maybe it was just that they were made at the Steinway factory. I guess there's a chance I'm thinking of the wrong brand. It was a few years ago. At any rate, how cool to have a piano with such a beautiful sound! Who cares what it looks like?

Hey Eowyn, I met our piano tuner yesterday by chance and I asked him about the Knabe's. He said that the Knabes produced in the 1800's were "true" Knabe's - everything from casing, soundboard, etc. The company supposedly went into financial trouble around the turn of the century and so they combined with several other piano companies (not Steinway though) to form one company. The company transferred hands a few times until today. So, the "true" unique Knabe's of the great Knabe quality tradition were the pianos in the 1800's.

Interesting. I guess I should just spend the money to restore this thing!

I play a hand made custom classic gutar (built in Mexico). In another life (college years) I played with a group called "The Four Brothers and Three Others" that was associated with the "3 D's", an early LDS group from BYU but not as famious as "The Letterman". Our group broke up after turning down a recording contract because most of us were not into the whole gig thing but just played mostly for fun and extra $$$ for shcool - However 2 of the 3 others went on and became regulars on the "Laurance Welk" show "Sandy and Sally".

Our song that landed the recording contract (that never happened) was "Let Me Tell you Babe" recorded at the time by Nat King Cole

Think of this song sung by a group like the New Christy Minstrels - if anyone remembers such a time and such music.

The Traveler

• 3 weeks later...

I play traditional Irish Flute or did up until about a year ago when I has some issues in my wrists and forearms from over use. I used to play in some Irish Pubs in Seattle and Redmond Washington until I moved to the opposite corner of the U.S. My arm is feeling better now so I'm going to venture back into it me thinks.

Here's an example of Irish Flute. It's basically a wooden flute, most are made out of African Blackwood, but they are super expressive and can sound like a bubbling brook or birds and they can have a very reedy sound as well.

Sorry I wish I had your enthusiasm for Guitar. But I love RUSH and will see them everytime they come around. My Son used to play guitar and sing in a Post Hardcore Band. He's since started his own band and is working on stuff that's more a combination of The Killers, ColdPlay, All Time Low.

• 2 weeks later...