I often hear people say that they felt the spirit of the Holy Ghost touch them. Why is this said? Is this feeling from the Holy Ghost or through the Holy Ghost and from the Lord? If it is the latter, why is the Holy Ghost a middle man? Why can't we "feel" the spirit of God directly from Him? So I guess I'm wondering if all this is just a matter of incorrect wording or lack of knowledge in the process of how the Lord interacts with us.

I think it's just a matter of personal experience: everybody feels the influence of the Holy Ghost differently, and thus we all have different ways of explaining what that experience is like. Some might best explain it as a "touch," while some (like yourself) might think that as incomprehensible because you feel the Holy Ghost a different way. That doesn't mean that either you or the other person is wrong or right, it just means that you're different from each other, and that's perfectly fine.

I think it's just a matter of personal experience: everybody feels the influence of the Holy Ghost differently, and thus we all have different ways of explaining what that experience is like. Some might best explain it as a "touch," while some (like yourself) might think that as incomprehensible because you feel the Holy Ghost a different way. That doesn't mean that either you or the other person is wrong or right, it just means that you're different from each other, and that's perfectly fine.

Thank you for your reply but that's not what I meant. I understand we all will interpret our spiritual experiences differently.

Bini, you can refer to this link for more information on the Holy Ghost. True to the Faith--Holy Ghost.

Basically, the Holy Ghost is also called the Spirit of the Lord. When you feel the Holy Ghost's influence, you are feeling the influence of God. Each person of the Godhead has a certain role. The role of the Holy Ghost is to bear witness to truth and reveal it to you. Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost work in perfect harmony and unity. Therefore, when someone is touched by the Holy Ghost or feels the Spirit, then they are experiencing the Lord's influence and inspiration.

I often hear people say that they felt the spirit of the Holy Ghost touch them. Why is this said? Is this feeling from the Holy Ghost or through the Holy Ghost and from the Lord? If it is the latter, why is the Holy Ghost a middle man? Why can't we "feel" the spirit of God directly from Him? So I guess I'm wondering if all this is just a matter of incorrect wording or lack of knowledge in the process of how the Lord interacts with us.

its probably more of a case of in/correct concept or wording... Were that said to me i would understand that the Holy ghost has influenced them in some way, quite likely through feeling and thought but the interaction between the holy ghost and man is certainly not limited to that.

If God wanted to he probably could do that, but that is the HG job, to be the comforter and the wintess of truth.

the Holy Ghost brings us to Christ, who then brings us to God. I don't think (at least for the majority of us) that we're ready for God's presence directly. As Christ and the Holy Ghost do not deviate from what God would do one bit, their actions and influences can be considered God's.

Edited by Blackmarch

• 2 months later...

We feel the very spirit of God all the time. Every day. That is what the light of Christ is. (D&C 84:45-47; 88:7-13) But feeling the influence of the Holy Ghost typically occurs for different reasons than those for which we feel the light of Christ. I mean, the light of Christ compels us to seek truth and do right (D&C 84:46) and helps us judge between right and wrong (Moro. 7:18), but the Holy Ghost confirms to us when we do right (Moro. 8:26), and when we have found truth (Moro. 10:4). And the latter is an important distinction when we're discerning whether or not we're feeling the influence Holy Ghost. And that's because one of the Holy Ghost's primary functions is to reveal truth to us. Whether He is revealing to us that something we've heard is true, revealing to us that something we're doing will harm us, or any other thing, you cannot "feel the Spirit" (as in the Holy Ghost) without receiving revelation (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 328), even if it is something that has been revealed to you before (John 14:26).

Edited by SightByFaith

The heart of the matter is this: The way we perceive 'God' is *really* important in how we progress spiritually, within ourselves.

For example, through the dark ages, through the enlightenment and into the 19th century, a God who is "King" was central. People viewed God as an absolute monarch, who could (and did) decide who lived & died, and you dare not approach Him except on the potential that He (God) may say "off with her head!" Thus, the whole "fear God" thing.

In the Second Great Awakening of the USA in the late 1700's and early 1800's, this was changed to a more approachable, personal & loving God that we began referring to as "heavenly father".

This shift means everything in terms of the average Joe (!) being able to approach God without fear, as one would their Father. And for untold thousands of people, it made a palpable difference in the exercise of faith.

So for you, the process of who speaks to you and who is permitted to inspire you in what order & such is not terribly important, it's more important to view the ROLES and potential separation of duties ("administration" in the D&C) in how all this happens with you personally.

In the Church, the hierarchy of information & revelation is like this:

Light of Christ >> Holy Ghost >> Jesus Christ >> Father

At this point, of receiving revelation from the Father, well.... Most people never really talk about even getting to the level of embracing Jesus Christ (the Second Comforter). So I'd never take anyone seriously about getting revelation from the Father, though it certainly is possible. Things as sacred as this, aren't typically spoken of within the Church. I can explain further if you'd like on that.

This points out the progression of spiritual inspiration as we perceive it within the Church. Whether a revelation comes BY the Holy Ghost or THROUGH the Holy Ghost is normally not a really meaningful distinction for the average member of the Church. That it happens at all, is usually all we need.

Hope that helped, rather than confused...

HiJolly

The heart of the matter is this: The way we perceive 'God' is *really* important in how we progress spiritually, within ourselves.

For example, through the dark ages, through the enlightenment and into the 19th century, a God who is "King" was central. People viewed God as an absolute monarch, who could (and did) decide who lived & died, and you dare not approach Him except on the potential that He (God) may say "off with her head!" Thus, the whole "fear God" thing.

In the Second Great Awakening of the USA in the late 1700's and early 1800's, this was changed to a more approachable, personal & loving God that we began referring to as "heavenly father".

There may be some truth to what you say, but I believe you have vastly oversimplified things. The injunction to "fear God" did not originate in Middle Ages Europe; ancient Hebrew proverbs tell us that "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" (e.g. Proverbs 9:10; cf. 1 Peter 2:17 for a later New Testament example from Peter himself).

Similarly, God as Father and Shepherd is seen in the Old Testament and extensively throughout the New Testament. All these ideas vastly predate modern or even medieval times and come from antiquity.

Edited by Vort

There may be some truth to what you say, but I believe you have vastly oversimplified things. The injunction to "fear God" did not originate in Middle Ages Europe; ancient Hebrew proverbs tell us that "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" (e.g. Proverbs 9:10; cf. 1 Peter 2:17 for a later New Testament example from Peter himself).

Similarly, God as Father and Shepherd is seen in the Old Testament and extensively throughout the New Testament. All these ideas vastly predate modern or even medieval times and come from antiquity.

You're right, I've vastly simplified things. No doubt. But I'm pretty sure I've got it right.

Everything you're referencing actually was written in 1611, with the publishing of the KJV. So what does the Hebrew mean?

Barnes' Notes on the BibleThe holy - The word in the Hebrew is plural, agreeing, probably, with אלהים 'elohı̂ym understood (so in Proverbs 30:3). The knowledge of the Most Holy One stands as the counterpart to the fear of Yahweh.

Clarke's Commentary on the BibleThe fear of the Lord - See on Proverbs 1:7 (note). The knowledge of the holy; קדשים kedoshim, of the holy ones: Sanctorum, of the saints - Vulgate. boulh agiwn, the counsel of the holy persons.

So I think my point stands. The term 'fear' is in reference to a "God is King" mindset.

HJ

Edited by HiJolly
clarification

You're right, I've vastly simplified things. No doubt. But I'm pretty sure I've got it right.

Everything you're referencing actually was written in 1611, with the publishing of the KJV.

It was written many thousand years ago, but translated and pulled together in publication in English in 1611.

So what does the Hebrew mean?

"Fear" is יִרְאַת in the Hebrew Masoretic and φόβος in the Greek Septuagint. In both cases, the meaning is "fear" as in "to be afraid of something".

So I think my point stands. The term 'fear' is in reference to a "God is King" mindset.

If that is your point, then we are in agreement. It sounded like your point was that Middle Ages people thought in terms of kings, which is why the scriptures spoke of God as King, but later people thought in terms of family, which is why the scriptures began speaking of God as Father. My point was that both of these characterizations were set in antiquity and vastly predate Middle Ages European culture.

If that is your point, then we are in agreement. It sounded like your point was that Middle Ages people thought in terms of kings, which is why the scriptures spoke of God as King, but later people thought in terms of family, which is why the scriptures began speaking of God as Father. My point was that both of these characterizations were set in antiquity and vastly predate Middle Ages European culture.

I have to agree that the "king" mindset began long before the middle or dark ages.

HJ

• 1 month later...

Why is it said that God was once a man? That is a BIG question for me.

Those who say that are either ignorant or using inexact phrasing.

God IS a man.

Of course, God is perfected and exalted man, unlike us. But as man is, God once was. I take this to mean that God was once mortal and subject to growth, step by step -- a completely non-controversial statement for any Christian who believes in the Bible and its history of Jesus, a mortal man subject to growth.

The HG is not a middle man. We dont think of Christ as a middle man. The HG is part of the trinity or God Head. So if you receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost after baptism, you have the promise of the HG to be with you as long as you are worthy of his presence.

Do not confuse that however with the Spirit of the lord. The Spirit of the lord or the Spirit of Christ resides in us all and can be compared to your concience. We are all born with that. We can also feel the HG touch us seperately to testify, comfort.... etc.

Bini...there is only ONE God and when you feel the Spirit....it is God.