Trayvon Martin

Tyler90AZ

What a tragedy... The 9/11 call is showing that Zimmerman is racist. I wonder if this is all said and done if The Church will comment on the incident. If it is proved that Trayvon Martin was killed in cold blood. Imagine how that would help the image of the church to the African-American community. I doubt it will happen, but it would be nice.

What does everyone think about the incident?

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would the church comment on it over any other murder when they don't have all of the facts? The latest story says the 911 tapes were edited. Zimmerman responds, "He looks Black" when the dispatcher asks him if he is white, Hispanic, or black, but you don't hear that part or the part where he says he's acting like he's on drugs. NBC edited the tape and that is being investigated. This should be handled by the court, not the media. I'm not comfortable calling Zimmerman a racist. He might just be a very paranoid man who should have let the police handle things rather than follow a kid with his concealed weapon.

If you are somebody intent on wiping out racism from the face of the planet and you see a race-crime, you don't foster more racism by dividing the races further in publicizing the race-crime. Look what happens when you do that. You get bounties and hate speeches and all kinds of racial hatred going on. You wipe out racism by banding all races together to decry the human-crime.

And no... there has not been proof that it was cold-blooded murder. Zimmerman remains innocent until proven guilty by the court of the land until such a time that Justice in the USA is deemed ineffective and is done away with.

You can call OJ Simpson a murderer and Michael Jackson a child molester all day long in public opinion. It doesn't make it so.

And no, the Church has nothing to do with it.

Edited by anatess

Why would the church comment on it over any other murder when they don't have all of the facts? The latest story says the 911 tapes were edited. Zimmerman responds, "He looks Black" when the dispatcher asks him if he is white, Hispanic, or black, but you don't hear that part or the part where he says he's acting like he's on drugs. NBC edited the tape and that is being investigated. This should be handled by the court, not the media. I'm not comfortable calling Zimmerman a racist. He might just be a very paranoid man who should have let the police handle things rather than follow a kid with his concealed weapon.

That is why I said The Church won't and wait until it is proven if they do. From what I have heard he said, "they all get away with this." The police even told him to stop chasing him. I am sure Zimmerman didn't set out to kill anyone that day, but he did and needs to be charged.

I understand white people are killed everyday and it isn't made a big deal of. This is only a recent thing for blacks to get so much publicity when murdered. Not to long ago the roles were reversed and much worse. Blacks were regularly prosecuted for raping white women when they didn't. Well at the same time whites were raping black women.

The whole reason this thing is so huge is because Zimmerman has not been charged. If he was charged rightly this would be a non-issue.

If you are somebody intent on wiping out racism from the face of the planet and you see a race-crime, you don't foster more racism by dividing the races further in publicizing the race-crime. Look what happens when you do that. You get bounties and hate speeches and all kinds of racial hatred going on. You wipe out racism by banding all races together to decry the human-crime.

And no... there has not been proof that it was cold-blooded murder. Zimmerman remains innocent until proven guilty by the court of the land until such a time that Justice in the USA is deemed ineffective and is done away with.

You can call OJ Simpson a murderer and Michael Jackson a child molester all day long in public opinion. It doesn't make it so.

And no, the Church has nothing to do with it.

Should they just let one of their own get killed without justice?

You are underestimating the fact that the justice system is flawed. Just because somebody is proven innocent, doesn't mean they didn't commit the crime.

Edited by Tyler90AZ

The whole reason this thing is so huge is because Zimmerman has not been charged. If he was charged rightly this would be a non-issue.

This shows a real lack of understanding of how the legal system works. You can only hold someone for so long until you bring official charges against him. If they don't have enough evidence, they cannot hold him, so it wastes their time to arrest him. So they investigate until they have enough evidence, or until the case is dropped. I think there is way too much rush to judgement in this case. I also think this case's elevation to national attention has more to do with current political agendas than it does about this specific case.

The whole reason this thing is so huge is because Zimmerman has not been charged.

That is not a correct statement. There are uncharged homicides quite often in America. The whole reason this thing is so huge is because it's an election year, and varioius news cycle-controlling forces believe that making this so huge will have a favorable political impact.

True. Look how long it took them to arrest Josh Powell. Oh that's right, they didn't. :( They had to build a stronger case against him before they did, which is amazing because they had so much against him.

Perfect example of why attention needs to be kept on this, so that way Zimmerman doesn't slip through the cracks.

Should they just let one of their own get killed without justice?

You are underestimating the fact that the justice system is flawed. Just because somebody is proven innocent, doesn't mean they didn't commit the crime.

One of whose own? The Black Community? Why must it be "their own"? Is he not American? Can't he be one of OUR own? Over a hundred black men got murdered in Florida last year. Several of them got bungled by the police. No hype about it. What's the difference? They're black on black crime. White men got murdered last year too - bungled by the police. No hype about it. They're white on white or black on white crime. And then there's the hispanic crime... On all those cases, one thing is the same - failures in law enforcement occured that NEEDS TO BE CHANGED. But, only Martin was decried and only because he happens to be a black man killed by a seemingly racist white man.

So, I guess the conclusion is - law enforcement can fail as long as it's not against a black man getting killed by a white man. Now, tell me, where is the racism in that picture?

This shows a real lack of understanding of how the legal system works. You can only hold someone for so long until you bring official charges against him. If they don't have enough evidence, they cannot hold him, so it wastes their time to arrest him. So they investigate until they have enough evidence, or until the case is dropped. I think there is way too much rush to judgement in this case. I also think this case's elevation to national attention has more to do with current political agendas than it does about this specific case.

Your showing a lack in understanding about why people are angry about the Trayvon killing. They are angry because they feel there is enough evidence against Zimmerman to be charged. It is not that they don't understand the system, it is that the system failed.

It has got so much media attention because many people have came out united.

One of whose own? The Black Community? Why must it be "their own"? Is he not American? Can't he be one of OUR own? Over a hundred black men got murdered in Florida last year. Several of them got bungled by the police. No hype about it. What's the difference? They're black on black crime. White men got murdered last year too - bungled by the police. No hype about it. They're white on white or black on white crime. And then there's the hispanic crime... On all those cases, one thing is the same - failures in law enforcement occured that NEEDS TO BE CHANGED. But, only Martin was decried and only because he happens to be a black man killed by a seemingly racist white man.

So, I guess the conclusion is - law enforcement can fail as long as it's not against a black man getting killed by a white man. Now, tell me, where is the racism in that picture?

I understand what your saying about community, expected it. The thing is African-Americans are considered a community more then any other race. They see themselves as a community because things that have happened in the past. Similar to how our community(Mormon) is so tight, because things that happened in our past. Regardless rather we like it the African-american race has become a tight community. That is precisely why occupiers had a strong desire to get African-Americans involved, we know they look after their own.The reason other crimes have not been brought to light because they have not been committed against a community member.

That is not a correct statement. There are uncharged homicides quite often in America. The whole reason this thing is so huge is because it's an election year, and varioius news cycle-controlling forces believe that making this so huge will have a favorable political impact.

I try to avoid conspiracy theories.

I understand what your saying about community, expected it. The thing is African-Americans are considered a community more then any other race. They see themselves as a community because things that have happened in the past. Similar to how our community(Mormon) is so tight, because things that happened in our past. Regardless rather we like it the African-american race has become a tight community. That is precisely why occupiers had a strong desire to get African-Americans involved, we know they look after their own.The reason other crimes have not been brought to light because they have not been committed against a community member.

Have you ever heard of Asians going up in arms as an Asian Community over crimes committed against a community member? How about Jews? Now, why do you think that is?

Perfect example of why attention needs to be kept on this, so that way Zimmerman doesn't slip through the cracks.

I think they were just waiting to find the body so he wouldn't walk free, but unfortunately it resulted in his boys being murdered by him too. :( No body could have caused reasonable doubt, but come on. Couldn't they have shared the facts with the court here to save Susan's boys?

In the Zimmerman case, we don't know what facts from the media are accurate. More time may be needed to build a case against him.

What are you trying to imply.

What it sounds like to me is that it's racist to assume racism was the motive when a black person is killed by someone of a different race. When a white person is killed by another race, that isn't the automatic assumption. Same goes for Hispanics, Asians, etc. Yes, there is still plenty of racism in this country, but it shouldn't be assumed that racism is the reason when a crime is committed.

I think they were just waiting to find the body so he wouldn't walk free, but unfortunately it resulted in his boys being murdered by him too. :( No body could have caused reasonable doubt, but come on. Couldn't they have shared the facts with the court here to save Susan's boys?

In the Zimmerman case, we don't know what facts from the media are accurate. More time may be needed to build a case against him.

Yea, I think the Powell case was more horrific.

I also agree with most of your post.^_^

What are you trying to imply.

What it sounds like to me is that it's racist to assume racism was the motive when a black person is killed by someone of a different race. When a white person is killed by another race, that isn't the automatic assumption. Same goes for Hispanics, Asians, etc. Yes, there is still plenty of racism in this country, but it shouldn't be assumed that racism is the reason when a crime is committed.

MorningStar hit the nail on the head...

But, also, I'm trying to imply that Blacks are as much a victim of their "vocal representatives" and the manichations of the media than they are of Zimmerman. That's part of why they are having a hard time improving on the cultural bias. They divide races instead of foster unity.

So, what we, as an American community can do, is to STOP THE MADNESS. Don't feed these media crap that divides blacks against non-blacks. The opening post on this thread is one of them. I was quite happy that for a good while there, Martin/Zimmerman was not mentioned in lds.net. I was hoping that when it did get mentioned, that it will be towards unity instead of division. Oh well. I can't have everything I wish for...

MorningStar hit the nail on the head...

But, also, I'm trying to imply that Blacks are as much a victim of their "vocal representatives" and the manichations of the media than they are of Zimmerman. That's part of why they are having a hard time improving on the cultural bias. They divide races instead of foster unity.

So, what we, as an American community can do, is to STOP THE MADNESS. Don't feed these media crap that divides blacks against non-blacks. The opening post on this thread is one of them. I was quite happy that for a good while there, Martin/Zimmerman was not mentioned in lds.net. I was hoping that when it did get mentioned, that it will be towards unity instead of division. Oh well. I can't have everything I wish for...

It kind of looks like they see this as a big deal to finish what the civil rights movement started. They should not be killed for the way they dress or look. You believe they should be quiet about it and that will cure the problem, I agree for the most part. Just understand why they are a little sensitive about the race issue. Don't you understand why?

As far as causing a race divide, I don't really see it. Yes, we should all see each other as part of the human family regardless of skin color. However, they have a stronger community because things that have happened in the past. Don't you understand why? The only way it is causing a race divide is because people get angry that they are standing up for justice. You can't look at the fact the new black panther party is involved and associate all participates with them. In addition, Zimmerman is Hispanic, not white.

The only reason I said it would be neat if the church comments is because blacks for the most part look at us as racist. Even know that title is not deserved, they do. One comment on an issue that has captivated the whole black community would go a long way. Although I understand they won't and should wait until all the facts are out. The duke lacrosse team case is still fresh on my mind.

The issue is not that it was a race crime. The issue is that the justice system let Trayvon down. They believe he was looked at like another criminal black boy. Although now the recording is out and Zimmerman said, "they always get away with this."