LDS Doctrine

mikbone

Doctrine, from Latin doctrina, means "a body of teachings" or "instructions", taught principles or positions, as the body of teachings in a branch of knowledge or belief system.

I have recently studied the concept of LDS doctrine and was happy to hear Brother Christofferson's talk during conference.

LDS Church News - Elder D. Todd Christofferson: 'The doctrine of Christ'

Recorded Video

Newscasters are salivating at the possibility of an LDS member challenging our current President in the next US general presidential election. See the following two articles. This issue is probably going to come up again and again during the presidential election process...

The Genesis of a church's stand on race - The Washington Post

Church Statement Regarding 'Washington Post' Article on Race and the Church - LDS Newsroom

The following documents have been making the rounds in other LDS discussion boards.

Approaching Mormon Doctrine - LDS Newsroom

Mormon Doctrine: What’s Official, And What Isn’t?

FAIR - What is “Official” LDS Doctrine?

Doctrine

Tier 1 – The Bible (as far as translated correctly – AoF 8), The Book of Mormon, The Doctrine and Covenants, & The Pearl of Great Price. These scriptures were approved by the First Presidency, sustained by the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, and accepted by vote of the entire membership of the church

None of the below items have been voted upon by the Church as a whole, and thus the items are not binding upon us a a people and a church. This of course does not infer that the below items are not true. But they do not technically make the hard definition of what is LDS Doctrine.

Tier 2 – The Temple endowment narrative, Hymnal (D&C 25:11-12), Official Proclamations and Doctrinal Expositions signed and distributed by The First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of the Church.

Tier 3 – Official Publications (Manuals, Handbook - LDS Church), Official talks and statements by General Authorities (General Conference Talks, Ensign First Presidency Message, etc.)

Tier 4 – Official Policy (Priesthood denied to black men of African descent prior to 1978 Official Declaration - 2)

Tier 5 – Books by General Authorities (Mormon Doctrine, Teachings of The Prophet Joseph Smith, etc.)

Tier 6 – Books by LDS Scholars (Hugh Nibley, Cleon Skousen, BYU professors of religion, etc...)

That being said, when the Holy Ghost personally manifests a truth to a person, that truth supercedes the tier system (for that person). Although the lower tier items should be in harmony with the higher tier items... Exceptions do come into play though, for example, 1 Ne 4:10-18.

Isaiah 55: 8-9 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Edited by mikbone

You left out personal testimony and personal revelation available to all who have the gift of the Holy Ghost or who hold the Melchizedek priesthood.

Are we not to open our mouths and preach the truth of Christ? Doesn't the power of the HG and the authority of the priesthood speak to doctrine?

Edited by Bensalem

Yes, that's important, but it is not official doctrine of the church.

Then the gift of the Holy Ghost and the Priesthood are a hokes.

Christ spoke the words of His Father in heaven. We in the priesthood speak for Christ.

Paul shared his testimony and preached of Christ before getting approval for his teaching from the twelve apostles.

How do you square these truths with today's LDS Church, which claims to be the restoration of the first church?

Edited by Bensalem

You left out personal testimony and personal revelation available to all who have the gift of the Holy Ghost or who hold the Melchizedek priesthood.

Are we not to open our mouths and preach the truth of Christ? Doesn't the power of the HG and the authority of the priesthood speak to doctrine?

Nah, see next to last paragraph.

The issue is that your personal revelation applies to you (and perhaps your family). Not to me or anyone else.

Edited by mikbone

The topic is about LDS official doctrine and its sources.

The topic is NOT about personal revelation.

This topic IS in the LDS Gospel Discussion forum and this has to do with where members receive official doctrines of the church.

D&C 28:2-5

2 But, behold, verily, verily, I say unto thee, no one shall be appointed to receive commandments and revelations in this church excepting my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., for he receiveth them even as Moses.

3 And thou shalt be obedient unto the things which I shall give unto him, even as Aaron, to declare faithfully the commandments and the revelations, with power and authority unto the church.

4 And if thou art led at any time by the Comforter to speak or teach, or at all times by the way of commandment unto the church, thou mayest do it.

5 But thou shalt not write by way of commandment, but by wisdom;

Nah, see next to last paragraph.

The issue is that your personal revelation applies to you. Not to me or anyone else.

Why dismiss it before you've heard it? It applies to you if you recognize the Word of God in it. It is doctrine if it speaks to the Spirit of God.

When my brothers in the Elders quorum speak the truth, it is doctrine to me. And I don't just mean the assigned teacher, but also the round table discussion that goes on.

It is all edification...teaching...doctrine.

The topic is about LDS official doctrine and its sources.

The topic is NOT about personal revelation.

This topic IS in the LDS Gospel Discussion forum and this has to do with where members receive official doctrines of the church.

D&C 28:2-5

Fine, I won't derail your topic. But I see a legitimate source of doctrine as the Spirit spoken from the mouth of the priest.

Fine, I won't derail your topic. But I see a legitimate source of doctrine as the Spirit spoken from the mouth of the priest.

A priest, even a General Authority, may speak with the inspiration of the Holy Ghost but it doesn't necessarily become Church Doctrine. It has to go through a process of canonization. A good example is all the talks included in the Journal of Discourses - they were spoken by General Authorities, most of which through the inspiration of the Spirit, and you may pray about it to receive your own personal confirmation of the truth of the discourses, but they remain non-doctrinal.

Now, if a priest speaks ABOUT specific doctrines already established, then, of course, he is speaking doctrine. And that's what this thread is trying to show - where you can find the official doctrines of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and where it becomes personal doctrine (non-binding to anybody else besides the person who received the revelation).

Make sense?

Edited by anatess

From the mouth of Jesus Christ in the Book of Mormon, the keystone of our religion:

3 Nephi 11 (Read 3 Nephi chapters 8-27)

30 Behold, this is not my doctrine, to stir up the hearts of men with anger, one against another; but this is my doctrine, that such things should be done away.

31 Behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, I will declare unto you my doctrine.

32 And this is my doctrine, and it is the doctrine which the Father hath given unto me; and I bear record of the Father, and the Father beareth record of me, and the Holy Ghost beareth record of the Father and me; and I bear record that the Father commandeth all men, everywhere, to repent and believe in me.

33 And whoso believeth in me, and is baptized, the same shall be saved; and they are they who shall inherit the kingdom of God.

34 And whoso believeth not in me, and is not baptized, shall be damned.

35 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and I bear record of it from the Father; and whoso believeth in me believeth in the Father also; and unto him will the Father bear record of me, for he will visit him with fire and with the Holy Ghost.

Why dismiss it before you've heard it? It applies to you if you recognize the Word of God in it. It is doctrine if it speaks to the Spirit of God.

When my brothers in the Elders quorum speak the truth, it is doctrine to me. And I don't just mean the assigned teacher, but also the round table discussion that goes on.

It is all edification...teaching...doctrine.

God's house is a house of order, and there is a system established to prevent confusion among the Saints. The Spirit speaks through revelation to teach us His doctrine, but because we are all flawed in our ability to understand and interpret his whisperings, there has to be a Way established to make sure we are not caught in bickerings among one another as to what is true and correct.

If I say I've received a revelation that drinking energy drinks does not break the WoW, but you say you've received a revelation that it does, we have a problem. We are both strong in our connection with the spirit and believe ourselves capable of interpreting his revelations through prayer and study, but we've fallen upon a disagreement. Which one of us is correct? Or is it possible that we are both correct?

This is why there needs to be a system for doctrine that is binding to us all, with one voice and one scripture to which we can turn for clarification and understanding. We know that God shares His secrets through the mouths of His prophets. The prophet holds ALL the keys of the Priesthood and has authority to speak revelation for the entire earth. When he speaks, under his capacity as the prophet, his words are binding and become doctrine. That is why, the highest level on our "tier" for official doctrine is the scriptures- the writings here are all revelations given to us through prophets meant for the entire earth.

For more specific direction applying to more specific areas, we have the break-up of church leadership with men holding the specific keys of the Priesthood they need to grant them stewardship over the people. That is why we have the break down into quorums of 70, general authorities, area authorities, stake presidents, bishops, and callings within a ward even down to home and visiting teachers, and finally the stewardship of a father over his family and individuals over themselves.

Anyone who claims to have received revelation for someone over whom they hold no stewardship is either sorely mistaken or lying. They do not hold the Priesthood keys that would grant them such a line of communication with the spirit in order to receive that revelation. Now, it is possible that an individual may be guided to be the mouth-piece or hand through which an individual may feel the spirit and receive personal revelation or an answer to prayer, but that does not mean this person holds any bit of authority or stewardship over the individual they've helped. They were just a tool of the Savior in the relaying of a personal message of revelation to that individual.

So yes, we are all taught, uplifted, and edified by one another. It is important to listen to the inspired words of our fellow brothers and sisters and seek out revelation that will guide us in understanding the doctrine we've been given and how to apply it personally to our lives. However, when we seek to communicate with those not of our faith what we as a church believe, what is binding to us as a whole, we need to be clear about what doctrines are officially binding upon the whole church and what we have merely received as personal revelation.

From the mouth of Jesus Christ in the Book of Mormon, the keystone of our religion:

3 Nephi 11 (Read 3 Nephi chapters 8-27)

30 Behold, this is not my doctrine, to stir up the hearts of men with anger, one against another; but this is my doctrine, that such things should be done away.

31 Behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, I will declare unto you my doctrine.

32 And this is my doctrine, and it is the doctrine which the Father hath given unto me; and I bear record of the Father, and the Father beareth record of me, and the Holy Ghost beareth record of the Father and me; and I bear record that the Father commandeth all men, everywhere, to repent and believe in me.

33 And whoso believeth in me, and is baptized, the same shall be saved; and they are they who shall inherit the kingdom of God.

34 And whoso believeth not in me, and is not baptized, shall be damned.

35 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and I bear record of it from the Father; and whoso believeth in me believeth in the Father also; and unto him will the Father bear record of me, for he will visit him with fire and with the Holy Ghost.

Yes, but the "doctrine of Christ" is not just the first four principles and ordinances of the gospel, it is also the admonition of Paul, or the 13th Article of Faith; 2 Nephi 31: " ...20 Wherefore, ye must press forward with a asteadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.

21 And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the away; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end. Amen."

So, even after baptism, which is spoken of in the verses right before these, the "doctrine of Christ" includes; 1. pressing forward in faith, 2. having a brightness of hope, 3. Charity (love of God and all men), 4. Feasting upon the word of Christ, and 5. Endure to the end.

The "feasting upon the word of Christ", I think, would include the discussions in church classes etc., that are spoken of in above posts. And just like our Articles of Faith say, #4 states the first steps and #13 explains the rest of the straight and narrow path. Baptism is the entrance to the straight and narrow, it is the gate, then we walk down the straight and narrow by following the admonition of Paul and Nephi and King Benjamin and Joseph Smith, etc.

A priest, even a General Authority, may speak with the inspiration of the Holy Ghost but it doesn't necessarily become Church Doctrine.

Indeed, it should be kept in mind that doctrine and truth are not synonymous even though there is a tendency to use them as such. I'm not trying to imply doctrine isn't truth, but rather that all truth is not doctrine. An example might be a sister's confirmation to serve a mission. Someone might hear her talk about her confirmation and receive a confirmation that such was truth, or even that such is truth for them (that they should serve a mission). That does not make her personal revelation Church Doctrine.

Doctrine is way over rated - usually by those that are of the mindset of the ancient Pharisees. Too often points of doctrine are used as “temptations” to divide the minds and hearts of those seeking divine blessings. Sadly we tend to judge and condemn others based on either over emphasizing unnecessary points in our individual doctrines or in being overly critical of the doctrines of others that really do not matter all that much.

I am convinced that if we were as concerned about communicating our love and compassion for others as we are about our doctrines we would all be better off - both in the short term and in the eternal scheme of things. My mother often would counsel her children (including me) and my wife is often having to remind me that seldom, if ever, will anyone care how much you know until they know how much you care.

The Traveler

Doctrine is way over rated - usually by those that are of the mindset of the ancient Pharisees. Too often points of doctrine are used as “temptations” to divide the minds and hearts of those seeking divine blessings. Sadly we tend to judge and condemn others based on either over emphasizing unnecessary points in our individual doctrines or in being overly critical of the doctrines of others that really do not matter all that much.

I am convinced that if we were as concerned about communicating our love and compassion for others as we are about our doctrines we would all be better off - both in the short term and in the eternal scheme of things. My mother often would counsel her children (including me) and my wife is often having to remind me that seldom, if ever, will anyone care how much you know until they know how much you care.

The Traveler

I agree. To those who are inspired by the Holy Ghost, Gospel truth can be found anywhere. And the classification and defination of doctrine are not very important.

But for those who are not inspired (such as the news media) it is important that they know that the LDS Church bases its truth on the scriptures, not on a BYU professor's take on history, or for that matter on a random posters comments in a lds discussion board...

Furthermore, if we enter into a discussion on these forums and one poster uses a personal ancedote whereas another poster uses the scriptures to support their position. The scripture quote should be viewed as a more credible source...

I agree. To those who are inspired by the Holy Ghost, Gospel truth can be found anywhere. And the classification and defination of doctrine are not very important.

But for those who are not inspired (such as the news media) it is important that they know that the LDS Church bases its truth on the scriptures, not on a BYU professor's take on history, or for that matter on a random posters comments in a lds discussion board...

Furthermore, if we enter into a discussion on these forums and one poster uses a personal ancedote whereas another poster uses the scriptures to support their position. The scripture quote should be viewed as a more credible source...

Why would an actual disciple of Christ find need to criticize the doctrine of a kind, loving and compassionate person of another faith? What is the lesion Christ gave us in the parable of the "Good Samaritan"?

The Traveler

Love the OP! & Elder Christofferson's talk on "The doctrine of Christ". This has been my journey over the last year or so and it has been difficult but worth it. I especially agree with JM. There are a lot of ways to say it but JM's comments should be clear enough IMO.

God's house is a house of order, and there is a system established to prevent confusion among the Saints.

If I say I've received a revelation that drinking energy drinks does not break the WoW, but you say you've received a revelation that it does, we have a problem. We are both strong in our connection with the spirit and believe ourselves capable of interpreting his revelations through prayer and study, but we've fallen upon a disagreement. Which one of us is correct? Or is it possible that we are both correct?

A good point. This reminds me of times when I took a test that tells me to choose the "best answer"? Surely, it's a no brainer for some, and not for others. I would ask, "is it possible to let others to catch up to me?" or in some cases, "Can I catch up?" instead of pounding that square peg into the round hole.

Anyone who claims to have received revelation for someone over whom they hold no stewardship is either sorely mistaken or lying. They do not hold the Priesthood keys that would grant them such a line of communication with the spirit in order to receive that revelation.

Now, it is possible that an individual may be guided to be the mouth-piece or hand through which an individual may feel the spirit and receive personal revelation or an answer to prayer, but that does not mean this person holds any bit of authority or stewardship over the individual they've helped. ...

So yes, we are all taught, uplifted, and edified by one another. It is important to listen to the inspired words of our fellow brothers and sisters and seek out revelation that will guide us in understanding the doctrine we've been given and how to apply it personally to our lives.

(Emphasis added)

Most LDS emphasize the first part and totally ignore the middle aspect. Really like that you put the two together JM. Nice!

I think what you said helps to put into perspective that members are being asked to rely on the spirit more and continue on a Godly walk, which may not look the same as some one elses Godly walk (from different perspectives).

Thanks

...now to put all this into practice...

Edited by Magen_Avot

Hidden

As long as you teach out of the manual and don't add your own doctrine into the lessons...

On the drive home from church I ask all my children what they learned during class.

Sometimes I just shake my head and have to correct some false doctrines that have been dispensed during primary class.

Seriously, I would never think of being so rigid. Still, I have faith I am presenting correct doctrine.

Hidden

As long as you teach out of the manual and don't add your own doctrine into the lessons...

On the drive home from church I ask all my children what they learned during class.

Sometimes I just shake my head and have to correct some false doctrines that have been dispensed during primary class.

Seriously, I would never think of being so rigid. Still, I have faith I am presenting correct doctrine.

Or maybe:

7 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

God's house is a house of order, and there is a system established to prevent confusion among the Saints. The Spirit speaks through revelation to teach us His doctrine, but because we are all flawed in our ability to understand and interpret his whisperings, there has to be a Way established to make sure we are not caught in bickerings among one another as to what is true and correct.

...when we seek to communicate with those not of our faith what we as a church believe, what is binding to us as a whole, we need to be clear about what doctrines are officially binding upon the whole church and what we have merely received as personal revelation.

I do not seek to overturn the hierarchical order of our Lord's house. When I speak or write I bind nothing to the Church or in heaven, but I seek to bind the Spirit of God to the listener or reader. And since I am teaching them, I consider it doctrine.

This Church has given me the gift of the Holy Ghost, it has called me to preach and to testify of Christ, it has made me a priest of the Melchizedek order, and it has commanded me to magnify my calling. I communicate the doctrine of the Church as I understand it by the Spirit in me.

Am I responsible for my actions or words when I act or speak in the name of Jesus Christ or is it the Spirit of God in me whose burden it is? Or is it the Church's fault for giving me His authority?

I throw caution to the wind in favor of breathing His truth to any who would listen.

Edited by Bensalem

I do not seek to overturn the hierarchical order of our Lord's house. When I speak or write I bind nothing to the Church or in heaven, but I seek to bind the Spirit of God to the listener or reader. And since I am teaching them, I consider it doctrine.

This Church has given me the gift of the Holy Ghost, it has called me to preach and to testify of Christ, it has made me a priest of the Melchizedek order, and it has commanded me to magnify my calling. I communicate the doctrine of the Church as I understand it by the Spirit in me.

Am I responsible for my actions or words when I act or speak in the name of Jesus Christ or is it the Spirit of God in me whose burden it is? Or is it the Church's fault for giving me His authority?

I throw caution to the wind in favor of breathing His truth to any who would listen.

Seriously, I would never think to be so rigid. Still, I believe I present correct doctrine.

That's all well and fine when you are only representing yourself and your personal beliefs. When you are teaching your kids, speaking with your friends, neighbors, etc. go ahead and let the Spirit guide. That is what it is for. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to share what knowledge and understanding of His gospel truths we have gleaned for ourselves with all those who will listen.

The problem lies in relying on this "free-flowing" method of being guided by the Spirit when you are speaking/teaching in an official capacity as a representative of the Church. In these cases, it is very important to clearly state when you are deviating from official doctrine to speak your opinion or when you are interpreting what you believe a specific doctrine means and/or how it could be applied.

The reason it is so important to make this distinction is that you could be wrong. No matter how certain you are, no matter how much you are relying on the Spirit to guide your words/actions, you are a flawed individual and could be mistaken in your understanding or interpretation of His Truths. Even some of our past leaders have been mistaken in their opinions and interpretations of doctrine/scripture, and these mistakes are used by those who would tear the Church down. But when we let go of our pride and recognize that we are flawed in our ability to interpret the Spirit and that even our leaders can have flawed opinions, then these attacks mean nothing- because we can easily identify what we truly KNOW to be true and what is mere speculation if we will seek out the answers in the doctrine and scripture we have been given.

I once made the mistake of giving a lesson in Relief Society for which I had not sufficiently prepared and speaking something I believed to be true but was not found in any of our scripture or doctrine. Normally, I am very prepared. I study the topic thoroughly, make sure I am familiar with what has been revealed to us, and I seek out any further insight that the Spirit could guide me with as I teach. That week, I failed to prepare adequately, and when I spoke this speculation of my own, I got called out on it. I firmly believed and still believe that what I said was true, but as I sought out the "official" answer to relay the next week, I couldn't find anything to support it. I'd made a mistake. In my capacity as a teacher I had to say that "I believe this is true, and you can seek out confirmation for yourself from the Spirit, but there is no scripture or prophetic words that say this is true".

This website, for another example, is a wonderful place to glean knowledge and insight concerning the gospel from those who can share their personal experiences and insights. We can "teach by the Spirit" here in sharing what we feel guided to say. There is a disclaimer at the bottom of every page of the site that reads:

"LDS.Net is not owned by or affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (sometimes called the Mormon Church or LDS Church). The views expressed herein do not necessarily represent the position of the Church. The views expressed by individual users are the responsibility of those users and do not necessarily represent the position of the More Good Foundation. For the official Church websites, please visit LDS.org and Mormon.org."

This disclaimer is necessary, because it is possible that we will share information with others here that is wrong. With all our well-meaning, Spirit-led, good intentions, we could still be wrong. We strive to lead others closer to Christ and to seek out more truths in our personal journeys, but we cannot bind our personal testimonies on anybody else.

There is more truth to be revealed. We don't have everything. We don't have all the answers. It is possible to seek out more knowledge and more answers than the Church officially provides through the Spirit. But it would be wrong of us to state our opinions or speculations and claim that what we've said is the official position of the church, when it may not be. For that we must turn to the scriptures and the doctrine.