It's a season, it's a marathon,

Retail eternity.

It's not over till it's over

And you throw away the tree.

No, it's not over till it's over

And you throw away the tree;

It's still not over till it's over

And you throw away the tree.

Blessed.... I am glad to see you back on board! I am sorry about your losing a loved one... I know that's never easy especially on a holiday. SF, you know my heart is always with you and your family... Pushka... I am also sorry about your legs... :( wish I could wiggle my nose and make all the hurt, pain and suffering go away for everyone.

-----------------------------------

I TRIED to make a different reply with this next statement...out of respect but it wouldn't let me...

I had to laugh when I saw who did "SUDDENLY IT'S CHRISTMAS".....Loudon Wainwright III .... I was just talking about another song of his ...."Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road". Now how often do you think or even mention the name Loudon Wainwright III ? It was twice in one week for me!

I would love to hear that song.

I don't throw out my trees unless they are broken. ;) I like being able to keep them up for a long time. I love the lights on the tree and love to be around the tree. Every year I decorate at least three big tress and many smaller ones. There have been years when I have left my tree up deep into the month of January.

Christmas is loved so much because of all of the Good Will Towards Men feelings the evoke from the season IMO.

"The Forgotten Carols" is a great way to get into the Christmas Spirit.

2 Christmasses ago I left up my (artificial) tree..all year!! LOL.

The family (except my kids) were not very pleased about it..thought it was due to my depression, but every other visitor thought it was great..and my sister finally relented when I said we could use it as a Holiday Tree by decorating it with such things as Lovehearts at Valentine's Day, Chickens and Lambs at Easter etc.

It was a good idea, but unfortunately I never did get around to decorating it seasonally... :(

SF, thanks for your thoughts about my legs, they are getting better :)

Blessed, I am very saddened to hear your story too, and also SF's about her mother and father...my heart goes out to both of you.

Thank you, Pushka. My dad is flying up to Alaska this Thanksgiving to see us. I think maybe one day we will drive out to my favorite lake (it will be frozen) and walk along it and spread her ashes.

When is your thanksgiving? Can I start on November 1st?

November 1, being my birthday, would be a great day for that

IIRC, it usually is the fourth Thursday in November, which would be (for this year), November 23rd, which happens to be my birthday. :P

M.

When is your thanksgiving? Can I start on November 1st?

Here in the lower 48 Thanksgiving is always the 4th thursday of the month. It will be on November 23rd this year.

Since 1963, Thanksgiving has been a real somber holiday for my family. My little sister (she was 15 months younger than me) passed away. Brain tumor - inoperable. Then on November 1st 2003 my oldest nephew died from an overdose of drugs. He was 29 years old. Then on November 16th 2004 my oldest sister passed away. Complications of diabetes at the age of 59.

We have had numerous older cousins,great, &great-great aunts and uncles pass away in November also - too many to keep track of.

I won't go to the Church sponsored Thanksgiving Pot Luck Dinners. I want to be home with my Husband and my/our cats, eat a simplified Thanksgiving Dinner (chicken & dumplings in a very thick sauce with baking soda biscuits instead of the dumplings, baked butternut squash, fresh/steamed asparagus) Apple Sauce with vanilla drop cookies for dessert. Call my family members and visit with them. Talk to all the teenaged nephews and nieces and have my oldest brother tell me jokes that make me laugh so hard my sides ache!

Christmas we do the Church Pot Luck - to be around all of the Primary Children and just soak up and enjoy their choice spirits.

Halloween to me is a celebration of the Harvest! I love the fall colors, the hearty tasting winter squash - the heavy, hearty, tasty stews and soups. The crisp, crunchy, juicy apples and pears. I would dearly love to be able to get to a part of the country this Halloween, where the leaves are orange, brown, yellow and red and are falling all over the ground. Where there is a bracing chill in the air that turns your nose, cheeks and ears red and you can just begin to see your breath in the air as you exhale. To walk in that - to smell the earth with the leaves starting to mulch out and decay - then go and have a bowl of wonderfully thick, hot oyster stew and those wonderful little oyster crackers. Or better yet - a loaf of crusty, hot french bread slathered with copious amounts of real sweet cream butter. With cinnamon baked apples for dessert.

Fall is when I miss my departed family members the most. Perhaps it is because we were in the house more during the fall and winter - rainy, nasty weather keeping us indoors. Fall is when I learned to sew, embroider, make storybooks for the babies. Make and create our christmas gifts. Make the ornaments that would be going on the christmas tree. Listen to Grandma and Mom read to us, then as we got older and more accomplished in reading - we read the stories.

Pinal County Arizona has no winter or fall. It is just a cooler version of summer. To me it is a REAL BUMMER.

:wow: Ack I think I :threadhijacked: this topic, I am :sorry:

No apology required Mrs. S.

I'm very saddened to hear of all the sorrow attached to November in your family. I hope that you have a very peaceful thanksgiving dinner this year.

I love the autumn colours/leaves and hot soups and stews too...your description of it was beautiful. :)

Thank You - all of you. At least knowing where they all are and that I will one day be with them - and all of the Greats that I never knew here on earth - that helps a lot.

BUT I do HATE to answer the phone in November. We let the machine do it, then my Dear Husband listens to the messages.