Eternity with my two late husbands and my current living husband...

tolisamarie

And no its not polygamy. Its polyandry if I have the terms right. We will be with all we love but not necessily as husband and wife.

You have been a very lucky woman to have married three men you truly love. I know you have been blessed. With your faith you know that whatever God has planned for you is good. Right?

nit picking: polygamy is actually a correct term in this circumstance.

A man with multiple wives is polygyny, and a woman with multiple husbands is polyandry. Polygamy, however, isn't gender specific.

I've had this discussion with several members of other churches. They believe they will be "married" to Christ only after death. I'm not sure what that means. (And I might add that some of them seem to be quite happy they won't be married to their current or past husbands. ;))

I have always found it interesting that many many people believe they will be together after death no matter what their church teaches. Interestingly, Johnny Cash wrote and sang a song about him and his wife being together forever. He is not the only one.

My sister is also of the opinion that a loving Heavenly Father wouldn't separate her from her husband who she loves so much, and their children who are everything to them. Of course we (members of the church) agree that He would not do that, so He has provided a way to seal us together forever. . . but I don't think that's something we'll see eye to eye on any time soon.

I've had this discussion with several members of other churches. They believe they will be "married" to Christ only after death. I'm not sure what that means. (And I might add that some of them seem to be quite happy they won't be married to their current or past husbands. ;))

I have always found it interesting that many many people believe they will be together after death no matter what their church teaches. Interestingly, Johnny Cash wrote and sang a song about him and his wife being together forever. He is not the only one.

My sister is also of the opinion that a loving Heavenly Father wouldn't separate her from her husband who she loves so much, and their children who are everything to them. Of course we (members of the church) agree that He would not do that, so He has provided a way to seal us together forever. . . but I don't think that's something we'll see eye to eye on any time soon.

In Catholic viewpoint, just because you're not anymore "married" doesn't mean you're not anymore "together".

Together means that both you and your spouse has achieved heaven. In heaven, everybody is together in Christ.

What is not together is if one is in heaven while the other is in hell. That is not together and that is something all Catholics wish to avoid. So yes, it's not anymore husband and wife as it is in earthly marriage. It is now the pure love of Christ transcending all bringing all people together in marriage with Him.

In Catholic viewpoint, just because you're not anymore "married" doesn't mean you're not anymore "together".

Together means that both you and your spouse has achieved heaven. In heaven, everybody is together in Christ.

What is not together is if one is in heaven while the other is in hell. That is not together and that is something all Catholics wish to avoid. So yes, it's not anymore husband and wife as it is in earthly marriage. It is now the pure love of Christ transcending all bringing all people together in marriage with Him.

My Evangelical friend's comment on this topic was that "Jesus is enough for me" as if disparaging me for wanting to spend the eternities with my husband, too. I've learned to just say, "Oh that's interesting", to her. Not worth the fight to try to get her to understand. She says she investigated the church and found the missionaries and Joseph Smith to be a fraud. From that launching pad, nothing good can come of my discussions with her. She is an expert at twisting everything I say.

There is no question in my mind about spending eternity with all my husbands. I know that I will, this testimony has been etched on my soul. I will speak to my bishop about making arrangements to be sealed by proxy to all three of my husbands when I die.

My question was whether the church would consider me a polygamist in life since I vowed before God to be married to each of my husbands "forever" and "throughout the generations of time and for all eternity". Because of my beliefs, I insisted on writing our own vows with each of my husbands. We did not say"till death do us part" or any thing of the sort.

Pam explained that a living woman can only be sealed to one husband at a time in life, but are temple sealings the only marriages the church recognizes?

My living husband was raised a catholic and he says that his church doesn't recognize divorce so as far as his church is concerned he is still married to his first wife and me. Weird, right?

I know that I am not a polygamist by law, since I only have one living husband, but I was curious as to the position the church has on this.

Edited by tolisamarie

Your vows can say whatever you wish, but without the proper Priesthood authority, they are not binding in Heaven. The church's position would be that you're legally wedded to them for this life.

Your vows can say whatever you wish, but without the proper Priesthood authority, they are not binding in Heaven. The church's position would be that you're legally wedded to them for this life.

That is why I will make arrangements to be sealed to all of them after I die, by the proper priesthood authority, so that all of my marriages will be binding in heaven.

If the Church's position is that I was only married to my husbands for life until I am sealed to them by proxy, then I guess you have answered my question.

Thank you for your insight.

Edited by tolisamarie

There is no question in my mind about spending eternity with all my husbands. I know that I will, this testimony has been etched on my soul. I will speak to my bishop about making arrangements to be sealed by proxy to all three of my husbands when I die.

My question was whether the church would consider me a polygamist in life . . .

My answer would be "no".

D&C 132 speaks of polygyny (one male married to more than one female), not polyandry (one female married to more than one male). In the eyes of the Church, there is zero doctrinal precedent for polyandry and Church policy (if not the outright teachings of some highly placed Church leaders) strongly hinted that there is no such thing as polyandry in the eternities. There is arguably some historical precedent for polyandry--a couple of Joseph Smith's wives were simultaneously married to other men, and after Smith's death Brigham Young, as his successor, was sealed to several of Joseph's widows. But Smith went so far as to deny the validity of some of his wives' marriages to earlier husbands (see, e.g., Zina Huntington); and Young's marriages were a Levitical thing--as far as I know, there was never any question that these women were first and foremost Joseph's wives.

If the Spirit has given you a revelation to the contrary, hold to it and keep it sacred. But to answer your direct question: to the extent that "the Church" would weigh in on your marital history at all, I would venture to guess that the answer would be that you are not a polygamist from the Church's standpoint.