My brain is on fire! Or thinking of going back to school.

FunkyTown

So I never got the opportunity to really finish out school and I'm thinking of going back more than a decade out of leaving.

I'm taking some A levels right now to ease me back in(University prep courses in England), and I took my ACT test and got a 29 combined(I think. My head hurts right now as I just took the test and there were a lot of numbers thrown at me. The last column said 29.) I'm particularly excited about the two 33s I got. Math was my lowest as I hadn't taken it in quite some time.

Just for curiosity sake: I can't find anything on BYU. What would my odds look like as a mature student and how would I go about applying? Also, is there anything a mature student should be aware of?

So I never got the opportunity to really finish out school and I'm thinking of going back more than a decade out of leaving.

I'm taking some A levels right now to ease me back in(University prep courses in England), and I took my ACT test and got a 29 combined(I think. My head hurts right now as I just took the test and there were a lot of numbers thrown at me. The last column said 29.) I'm particularly excited about the two 33s I got. Math was my lowest as I hadn't taken it in quite some time.

Just for curiosity sake: I can't find anything on BYU. What would my odds look like as a mature student and how would I go about applying? Also, is there anything a mature student should be aware of?

WOW! That's awesome, Funky! Now you can give Dravin competition!

Anything a mature student should be aware of? Uhm... there are a lot of young pretty girls on campus. :D

The BYU culture is not designed with "mature" students in mind, so you might find some elements a bit juvenile for your taste. (As you would any other college campus.) On the other hand, the preponderance of returned missionaries along with graduate students -- and return missionary graduate students -- means you would not be as different as you might think.

The BYU environment is not for everyone. I strongly encourage those who don't like BYU to find someplace they do like and go there instead. But for me, BYU felt quite literally like a little foretaste of heaven. There is no school I would rather I had attended. I have worked assiduously to brainwash my children to want to go there. So far, it seems to be working...

WOW! That's awesome, Funky! Now you can give Dravin competition!

Anything a mature student should be aware of? Uhm... there are a lot of young pretty girls on campus. :D

Except he's a newlywed...so he better not be chasing those pretty young girls on campus. :)

In her defence he's not bothered to update his profile status. I thought he was married and was gonna make a similar comment but I worried I might have been confusing him with Mahone or someone once I saw his profile status as 'single'.

Except he's a newlywed...so he better not be chasing those pretty young girls on campus. :)

In her defence he's not bothered to update his profile status. I thought he was married and was gonna make a similar comment but I worried I might have been confusing him with Mahone or someone once I saw his profile status as 'single'.

Oh, I know he's newly married. That's why I said what I said... i was trying to be funny. And you didn't laugh! Waaaa!

... goes off to re-calibrate her funny bone...

That is awesome that you are going back, Funky. In many ways I wish I would have waited, been a bit more mature, before attending college. I agree with Vort that BYU is not really designed for the mature student in mind. If you wish to study in America and experience it within a predominately LDS culture, you might try looking at my alma mater up the road, the University of Utah. It was founded as the first LDS institution of higher learning, but is a state school now, but it is in a beautiful area of Salt Lake City and the overwhelming percentage of students are LDS and I think more diverse in ages. A large number of the students are married, work, and commute to campus daily.

I don't think there's really all that much of a difference between going to school and going back to school. Treat it the same way you would have if you'd been entering college straight out of high school- figure out what you want to study, where you want to study, what prerequisites you need to complete, etc. Then go for it. :)

I agree with Vort that BYU is not really designed for the mature student in mind. If you wish to study in America and experience it within a predominately LDS culture, you might try looking at my alma mater up the road, the University of Utah.

Socially speaking, BYU is to Utah as junior high school is to kindergarten. BYU may not be designed with the mature student in mind, but it is miles ahead of U of U in student maturity. U of U is really not all that different from Penn State or University of Washington or any other secular state school, with an entitlement mindset and amazingly rigid thinking about social issues. (In fairness, Utah is probably not as straitjacket-leftist as UW in that respect. But you avoid the whole issue at BYU, where sociopolitical leftists are a distinct minority, even among the faculty of most departments.)

Oh, I know he's newly married. That's why I said what I said... i was trying to be funny. And you didn't laugh! Waaaa!

... goes off to re-calibrate her funny bone...

I guess I just didn't see the humor in it.

I attended UVSC (now UVU) as an older, married student. I got my Associates degree there before I went on to the Univ. of Utah. I had attended BYU as a young adult, and UVSC accepted some of my credits from the Y, which helped me to graduate faster. I loved UVSC. I liked the "small school" feel. I knew exactly where to go to receive help with my classes. It was nice that I didn't have to walk (what seemed like) a mile to get to my next class. I did not feel out of place there, or at the Univ. of Utah.

I wasn't the only older student at UVSC, but the vast majority of the students were young adults (18 to 25 year olds). It may have changed since I attended over 10 years ago. Like most universities, the school activities cater to the younger students. That was okay for me. I wasn't in school for the activities, I was there to get an education, and my degree. I wasn't interested in anything else. I have had a great experience in attending BYU, UVU, and Univ. of Utah. All are wonderful, excellent schools.

Now, just don't ask me who I root for when BYU and Utah play against each other in sports.

Edited by classylady