Why does God seem to look away and let it happen?

Arnolt

The answer to Eddy's question is a very simple, "No. No, I do not think he would have."

I agree. And Charly Chaplin has given another answer; so I would see it like this: God made it his way, and, as the end of the scene shows, hit the planet out of his hands...

Edited by Arnolt

I don't think all Mormons believe this at least at a personal level. "Pain and suffering" if that is your general description of mortality, sure, mortality is needed for the greater plan. In other words, we know that pain and suffering has to exist as part of this mortal step but htat isn't a statement that every individual has to experience it personally. Not everyone has to experience personally what pain and suffering is during their mortal stay. Do those who are born into the millennium and under the covenant have pain and suffering and yet still know good and evil? What about the baby who is born without a brain, anencephaly, and goes straight to the Celestial Kingdom without experiencing sin? What pain and suffering is felt or experienced there? What about the baby who dies at one minute, how much of your first minute of life do you think was experienced, how much of your first minute do you remember? If one's response to that is that we will remember all (even things that weren't actually experienced) then that just supports what I am saying that it doesn't have to be experienced in the first placed, it could be a memory placed later that was never really experienced in this life.

To say words like "necessary" means it has to cover all scenarios. For some it might be necessary but I don't think that is a universal statement that you are trying to make it.

The next time you attend the temple listen vary carefully to the instruction that is given spicific to what is "necessare" to know "good from evil".

The Traveler

In my opinion people who don't believe in Heavenly Father are just as religious as those who do believe, the preachers are celebrities Bill Maher, Eddy Izzard, or some philosopher.

And this might lead us to the further question, which content and worth their religion could have, except their triumphs in moments of laughter when their preachers feed them with delicious but poisoned chocolate.

And this might lead us to the further question, which content and worth their religion could have, except their triumphs in moments of laughter when their preachers feed them with delicious but poisoned chocolate.

Reminds me of T.S.Eliot:

"....the conscious impotence of rage

At human folly and the laceration

Of laughter at what ceases to amuse."

Four Quartets

Having said that, I sometimes feel grateful to people like Eddy Izzard for stating bluntly things which we as Christians often dance around. There may be answers to these questions, but that doesn't mean the questions aren't worth asking.

Hi there just wondering the same thing myself the "why question" good things happen too bad people and vice versa I am always remind that life is always unfair and unequal on a daily basis however my limited understanding of the Atonement of Christ has helped me cope with those questions and accept that God is in control and his justice and his mercy will prevail my favourite scripture "That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust." matth 5>45 this puts things in perspective for myself both now and into the future gives me great comfort:):)

Reminds me of T.S.Eliot:

Having said that, I sometimes feel grateful to people like Eddy Izzard for stating bluntly things which we as Christians often dance around. There may be answers to these questions, but that doesn't mean the questions aren't worth asking.

True.

Eddy Izzard put it rather nicely:

In regards to that Eddy Izzard quote,

On 11 April 1946 Einstein wrote to Juliusburge as follows:

You take a definite stand about Hitler’s responsibility. I myself have never really believed in the subtler distinctions that lawyers foist upon physicians. Objectively, there is, after all, no free will.

I think that we have to safeguard ourselves against people who are a menace to others, quite apart from what may have motivated their deeds. What need is there for a criterion of responsibility? I believe that the horrifying deterioration in the ethical conduct of people today stems primarily from the mechanization and dehumanization of our lives-a disastrous byproduct of the development of the scientific and technical mentality. Nostra culpa! I don’t see any way to tackle this disastrous short-coming. Man grows cold faster than the planet he inhabits.

Don't blame Heavenly Father (God) for a conduct that was brought upon by Hitlers own deeds. Hold Hitler accountable just like you would want any perpetuator in a court of law held responsible or accountable. This is to state how people can be ignorant and irrational which is in the scriptures. Things bad happens because people who have bad deeds will make it happen, vice versa.

"Nostra Culpa!" means "Our Fault!"

A poem by Margaret Sackville:

“Nostra Culpa”

We knew the sword accursed, yet with the strong

Proclaimed the sword triumphant. Yea this wrong

Unto our children, unto those unborn

We did, blaspheming God. We feared the scorn

Of men; men worshipping pride, so where they led

We followed. Dare we now lament our dead?

Shadows and echoes, harlots! We betrayed

Our sons; because men laughed we were afraid.

That silent wisdom which was ours to kept

Deep buried; thousands perished; still we slept.

Children were slaughtered, women raped, the weak

Down-trodden. Very quiet was our sleep.

John 3:16-21

16 ¶For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

18 ¶He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

God sent his Son into the world to teach us the light, Jesus Christ is that "Iron Rod" that we must hold onto in the mist of this chaos and confusion by men who are easily tempted by evil. Who on earth is equal? We as humans are unequal because we can't think harmoniously to do good works and good deeds.

"He that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God."

I am so useless and hopeless without this gospel in my life, I truly have no meaning to live if I can't live for Heavenly Father. I inherited a spiritual gift and I am so joyed to let it shine so bright to help comfort those in need of comfort to cry with those who mourn and to be of good works and deeds to another. I'm grateful to Heavenly Father for blessing me with such wisdom to help and cherish others and myself.

Well, as I am not sure where to place this here between all the threads, I have decided to do it here. Yesterday I was watching TV and there was a report about old criminal cases. One of them happened in the near of Munich in the year 1922. A whole farmers family (seven persons, including children) was murdered by a still unkown murderer with a pickax. It was assumed that the murderer came from the near surrounding there and his motive was some kind of honor killing and jealousy but could never be found because the police made a great number of mistakes in investigating that case.

After the forensic jurisprudence at that time they reported that the seven years old girl, that was killed the same way as the other persons (by impacting their heads), still had been survived for about two hours after she was hit and in a state of agony teared her hair and held it in her cramped little hands when she was dead. Well, and then I remebered another case, about ten years ago here in Germany, when a young girl of 12 years of age was kidnapped and locked up in a box under the earth to press money from the parents. The girl died in that box. Later it was in the news, that she certainly died in a calm way, because oxygen deficiency makes you sleepy and unconcious before death.

Well, only two examples from out of millions in the history. And now I should ask: why has God allowed those things to happen? Why has he allowed to get the poor children and women (who were once beeing hunted and prosecuted as "witches") becoming tortured that way? And why does he allow all those things to happen? By the way, I have also seen many crime reports about events that happened in the USA, for example in the North-West area, State of Washington, where a farmer murdered more than twenty or thirty young prostitutes after inviting them to his home and promised them to give some "stuff" (drugs) they desperately needed...

Where can we find the answer? I mean, is God a hasardeur, is God that kind of a supernatural being that doesn lay his hands over the tortured ones to protect them and to hold the pain away? I would be interested to get some LDS perceptions...

This is a very interesting question seeing that I just read in this mornings news about a 6 year old girl who was killed, sexually assaulted and left in a canal.

I have asked myself this question, many times, since 2 years ago when I was fired from a job by those who are supposed to be my brother's in Christ. It was difficult to hear them make up excuses as to why they were letting me go, while pretending to understand and know how I felt.

I believe the answer is more easily understood however, when reading 2 Nephi 2: 11 - 17. It is also easier understood when we understand the first principle of the gospel of Jesus Christ is faith.

If God, intervened with every aspect of our lives, even the most hideous, then faith would eventually be destroyed. I noticed in scripture there are times God has intervened, and times he has not, and it has usually been a result of:

1. The faith of the individual

2. Obedience vs. Disobedience

3. God allows men to face their own consequences as a result of their own choices

4. To save God's purpose

5. To allow a righteous judgement in the end

6. We need to learn to trust

I have noticed in scripture when faith was evident, when a promise was made, if there was no other person to intervene, God would intervene to fulfill individual promises. For example, Nephi and Sam being beaten by their brothers. At this time, my feeling is if the Angel did not interfere then Nephi probably would have been killed by Laman and Lemuel, however, if so then God would not have been able to fulfill a promise made to an honest and faithful servant.

In order for righteousness to be brought to pass, opposition must be allowed, even the most hideous of all crimes, otherwise we would be living laws as designed by Satan. All would be saved, all would live, yet agency the ability to choose ourselves to be Godlike would have been lost.

I also believe the statement is incorrect that "God looks away", heavens NO, I believe the tears Enos saw God shed, are because God is very much aware and is constantly looking.

In closing (ha, like am giving a talk) I will share a personal experience with regard to an answer prayer and trust. When I knelt down regarding my temporal affairs I said, "I am not as strong as you think, and this is more than I can bear." I received one word, clear and distinct, "Trust."

I at that time thought I understood the word "trust" and realized how little I understood this word, and am still trying to understand it, in application, not just because it sounds good.

This is a very interesting question seeing that I just read in this mornings news about a 6 year old girl who was killed, sexually assaulted and left in a canal.

I have asked myself this question, many times, since 2 years ago when I was fired from a job by those who are supposed to be my brother's in Christ. It was difficult to hear them make up excuses as to why they were letting me go, while pretending to understand and know how I felt.

I believe the answer is more easily understood however, when reading 2 Nephi 2: 11 - 17. It is also easier understood when we understand the first principle of the gospel of Jesus Christ is faith.

If God, intervened with every aspect of our lives, even the most hideous, then faith would eventually be destroyed. I noticed in scripture there are times God has intervened, and times he has not, and it has usually been a result of:

1. The faith of the individual

2. Obedience vs. Disobedience

3. God allows men to face their own consequences as a result of their own choices

4. To save God's purpose

5. To allow a righteous judgement in the end

6. We need to learn to trust

I have noticed in scripture when faith was evident, when a promise was made, if there was no other person to intervene, God would intervene to fulfill individual promises. For example, Nephi and Sam being beaten by their brothers. At this time, my feeling is if the Angel did not interfere then Nephi probably would have been killed by Laman and Lemuel, however, if so then God would not have been able to fulfill a promise made to an honest and faithful servant.

In order for righteousness to be brought to pass, opposition must be allowed, even the most hideous of all crimes, otherwise we would be living laws as designed by Satan. All would be saved, all would live, yet agency the ability to choose ourselves to be Godlike would have been lost.

I also believe the statement is incorrect that "God looks away", heavens NO, I believe the tears Enos saw God shed, are because God is very much aware and is constantly looking.

In closing (ha, like am giving a talk) I will share a personal experience with regard to an answer prayer and trust. When I knelt down regarding my temporal affairs I said, "I am not as strong as you think, and this is more than I can bear." I received one word, clear and distinct, "Trust."

I at that time thought I understood the word "trust" and realized how little I understood this word, and am still trying to understand it, in application, not just because it sounds good.

I agree, great quotes. I also think it is done sometimes to show that even when we try hard in our own ways we can never overcome iniquity on our own. It can only be done by Christ and through Christ. Mosiah 23 " 21 Nevertheless the Lord seeth fit to chasten his people; yea, he trieth their patience and their faith.

22 Nevertheless—whosoever putteth his trust in him the same shall be lifted up at the last day. Yea, and thus it was with this people.

23 For behold, I will show unto you that they were brought into bondage, and none could deliver them but the Lord their God, yea, even the God of Abraham and Isaac and of Jacob."

Even Alma and his people who were righteous were taken into bondage. He didn't let them live peacefully alone and separated from the rest for very long. We don't believe in the idea of complete isolation like a monk living in the highest mountain away from everything. We are supposed to live in the world and yet not be of the world. That, cannot happen if there is no "world" to live in. There would be no trial of our faith if there was nothing trying our faith. This is why it is important to understand that the Lord seeth fit to chasten his people and try their patience and faith.

I also think it is done sometimes to show that even when we try hard in our own ways we can never overcome iniquity on our own. It can only be done by Christ and through Christ.

Well said, and very true. Half of what we as a people through is due to the lack of trust through the merits of Christ.

There would be no trial of our faith if there was nothing trying our faith. This is why it is important to understand that the Lord seeth fit to chasten his people and try their patience and faith.

I think Joseph Smith's statement about him being a polished stone by falling down a mountain is a good analogy with this statement.

However, I am thinking right now, while I am rolling down my Mountain, I would like to be steered toward more "grassy" areas, then the boulders I seem to be connecting with.

I can views these boulders in a number of ways: One, "God first started out with small rocks and grassy knolls and that wasn't working." Second, "I am such a stubborn man that even the small rocks I was hitting only polished me a little bit." Finally, God is saying, "You are one stubborn child, this boulder should do the trick."

Last paragraph, is in good humor :D

I like Travelers response, on a micro level, I do not think we can answer the question. It makes it difficult for me to expect answers to prayers on which job I should take, or protect our family from harm while traveling in a new SUV, when children suffer so greatly. I have to let go of trying to ask "Why?" to things that cannot be explained well.

I just have to leave running the universe to God, and focus on my little life and do the best with what I can.

I think some things just don't make sense, and we have to move forward anyway.

Why has there been over 2,000 wars since the dawn of mankind's inception?

Why where Christians by the thousands slaughtered in the roman coliseum?

I cannot explain them. I even once guarded the site of Canada's most heinous serial murder once.

There probably is a purpose why god let people die prematurely. I cannot explain it but, I do have a theory..maybe those who were killed had a higher calling in heaven?

BTW, I had 7-10 close calls with death in the past and I am still here. Maybe it was to get married or to help other people. I remember that once, I was a young kid scared of death. Now I am not because I know it is unavoidable.