Church while traveling.

Hala401

In a couple weeks I have business in remote NE Oregon near a town called Halfway. I've attended church in urban areas near Cleveland, Indianapolis, and a half dozen different ones in urban areas of Oregon and Washngton.

There really should be no problem, but I am wondering if in these remote areas, if I should take really conservative clothing for Sacrement Service. This feels awkward to me so I am wondering if I should call ahead to see what I should wear or just go and not worry about it?

I mean, in the lower 48, this is probably the most remote area in the US. Sorry, I do not mean to discount anyone but I just don't want to offend anyone there. I mean, I know what the people in Ohio think is wilderness, snark snark. I think it is at least 100 miles to a Macy's. Oh well, I have an official Mormon dress coming in the mail.

Edited by Hala401

I mean, in the lower 48, this is probably the most remote area in the US. Sorry, I do not mean to discount anyone but I just don't want to offend anyone there. I mean, I know what the people in Ohio think is wilderness, snark snark. I think it is at least 100 miles to a Macy's. Oh well, I have an official Mormon dress coming in the mail.

I grew up going to very small branches in tiny eastern Washington towns. You can believe me when I tell you that the Church dress there is pretty much like anywhere else.

Actually it isn't- according to City-Data.com, the breakdown for the church's in the town is:

LDS 26.7%, Catholic 20.6%; Church of the Nazarene 9.9%; Conservative Baptist Association of America 6.9%; Church of Christ 5.3%; Seventh Day Adventist 4.9%; Methodist 4.6%; Assemblies of God 4.5%; Presbyopia 4.3%; Other 12.3%. Notice that LDS is first with the highest percentage of the population. Here is a link to their Chamber of Commerce- quite the happening place - Hells Canyon Chamber of Commerce Membership

You will be going to the Pine Valley Branch, first meeting is at 9:30 AM. The address is: 46538 Cornucopia Hwy, Halfway, OR.

I looked it up on Google Map, and the satellite view shows a meeting house just like my branch, so it has it's own Chapel. That would have been the last addition. There is one more addition to go- once they get a membership of over 200.

The Chapel will hold about 160 people.

Hala, sometimes you obsess on the strangest things. If this branch was in the Alaskan Pipeline and it was the dead of winter, then you would probably wear long johns, pants, snow boots, sweaters and a parka.

Wear a dress or skirt & blouse. Official Mormon Dress ? Didn't know there was such a thing.

Hala, sometimes you obsess on the strangest things. If this branch was in the Alaskan Pipeline and it was the dead of winter, then you would probably wear long johns, pants, snow boots, sweaters and a parka.

Wear a dress or skirt & blouse. Official Mormon Dress ? Didn't know there was such a thing.

I agree. There isn't an official Mormon dress.

Um, I'm sorry, I was just being fascetous, sorry. :)

If you look at this web page at the bottom, you will see what they say about their clothing. :)

Jen Clothing Modest Clothing: Modest Dresses, Modest Prom Dresses, LDS Modest Bridesmaid Dresses. Modest Clothes, Modest Swimwear

I got the Emma. :)

I wish you'd added the smiley icons in the first post. :)

I like their clothes. I wish I had the figure to wear some of them.

I wish you'd added the smiley icons in the first post. :)

I like their clothes. I wish I had the figure to wear some of them.

Well, it does appear that the dresses are for the um, little people. :) I am not sure if I can wear it either, but I liked it so much ... they do have 30 day return. :( Maybe this will be added incentive to lose 30 lbs?

Ditz alert! I had not even thought of the shoes! I can still wear low heels. I wonder?

Should be fine... but I'm a shoes snob - this dress calls for one of them stilettos. :D

Should be fine... but I'm a shoes snob - this dress calls for one of them stilettos. :D

Oh my goodness! Well If I parked my car close to the building, and didn't walk around much, and was careful on stairs ... Ok well, I did look at their web page and I think they do not sell shoes. Perhaps they are the dyable shoes but I can not imagine where one would get the matching dye. So many questions, so many posibilities. :)

I've been to Halfway, Oregon. They don't dress any differently than people anywhere else.

So, no need to call the Bishop and ask permission or anything? I am a little uneasy simply because I will travel alone. I did it when I went to Provo in March, so ... Thank you. :)

So, no need to call the Bishop and ask permission or anything? I am a little uneasy simply because I will travel alone. I did it when I went to Provo in March, so ... Thank you. :)

Nope. No need to call the Bishop. I'm not sure what you would be asking permission for. Just wear what you would normally wear and go from there.

Hala, I'm going to take this opportunity to give advice to those who have children and are visiting wards. It's a good idea to call the Primary Presidency/Bishopric and tell them that you are going to visit and the kids are going to be in x-age Primary Class if at all possible. It's good for the Primary teacher to know how many kids to expect in class in case she wants to hand things out and such. Also, sometimes when the Primary class gets too big, they will call on an assistant teacher.

Hala, when you were Muslim, did you do this? I am just curious.

Hala, when you were Muslim, did you do this? I am just curious.

Did what, travel alone? No, I did not. I did take day trips and that is how I came to the Kirtland Visitor's center. It would be nice to have someone to travel with ...

Call ahead and ask permission as to what you could/should wear?