Do you find The Golden Compass movie/books offensive?

GeorgiaRED

I apologize if this thread has been made before and I know that the movie came out a long time ago, but I was wondering what are other Latter-day Saints opinion of this movie/books?

The author, Phillip Pullman is a well-known atheist from England. In the third and final book a couple of children kill God. The movie caused a lot of controversy among Christians. Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ did too, but that was a great film. I'm sure many of you know about C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia. The character Aslan, which is a talking lion is based on Christ. I really liked the Chronicles of Narnia movies.

So how do y'all feel about Phillip Pullman's books/The Golden Compass movie? Have you seen it? Would you see it? Have you read the books? Do you feel indifferent about it/them? Did you like it? Do you dislike it?

I personally like the movie. I've never read the books, but I'm going to because it sounds like a good story. IMHO, if it's a novel written by an ordinary man--its fiction. I don't care if the author intends on insulting Christians. I know that God is real and no one is going to change my mind.

I also like the Harry Potter movies, Star Wars movies, Avatar, and a bunch of other movies that have entertained me and help me escape reality every now and then when I need to relax. But I know that these movies/books are entertainment--nothing more.

Edited by GeorgiaRED
mispelled Narnia

I bought the movie and watched it and remember liking it. I think some of my children watched the movie with me.

After a friend of mine pointed out things about the author and the book, I examined the book at a book store, and then I got rid of the movie. I would have been worried that my children would decide to seek out the books, as you have, based on the movie. It's been a while and I don't remember what I didn't like about the book, I just remember it is on my mental, never to be read list.

I saw the movie and from what I recall, I enjoyed it. I have no desire to read the book/s because my attention span isn't that great. I have a hard enough time watching movies that go on and on and on. But after a quick Google, I can see where this book may be inappropriate for many readers, and how many parents would prefer their children NOT reading them.

We saw the movie. There was enough about it I didn't like that I won't read the books. I learned about the books and the author from my neighbor. Then looked it all up online before watching the movie.

I'm willing to give someone a pass, once. But this author deliberately tried to undermine a belief in God. That bugs me.

I wouldn't say I was offended, but he went on my "beware" list.

I am very rarely offended by any work that comes from a different religious or non religious paradigm. Especially when the work is fiction.

I'm not offended in the least that the author was an atheist or that his beliefs filtered into the story, even if he did want to "stick it to the man" a little. In fact, the question never crossed my mind.

A neighbor the other day said he didn't like the Hunger Games because it never referenced God. I didn't understand that view. I didn't read the book to find God in it. I read it because I wanted to experience the story just as it was.

I read the books in high school and again in college. I think if I would be a lot more offended if I were Catholic, but as it stands I view the books as fairly decent fantasy with a lot of atheist preaching and nothing more.

If I am not mistaken the author has said he is poking at series, like the Chronicles of Narnia, which infuse subtle Christian messages. Kids would probably read the Chroncles and never consider conversion. Very subtle seeds indeed. Haven't seen the book or the movie, but usually when someone is reacting to subtleties they do not like, they are far less subtle. If so, the writing is not likely very good. Preaching is great from a pulpit, not so much within fiction.

In regards to Narnia, I find th Christian messages to be rather obvious (at least to me) but they are written in such metaphor that I can't call it preaching. His Dark Materials, I personally find a heck of a lot more obvious. There is no metaphor.

Can't comment on Golden Compass.

But on a related thing...

I love the band Rush. They have great music that transcended generations. Until they released Roll the Bones and with their atheist message and I quit listening to anything newer. Which is sad because Roll the Bones was a great song if you don't really try to understand the lyrics.

I liked Melissa Etheridge when she came out with Come to my Window and one other song. So, I went and bought the CD... and promptly threw it away after I listened to Silent Legacy... I quit listening to her then.

Backroads, spot on. The Chronicles are good writing, and they can be faith-affirming for Christians. They hardly qualify as aggressive evangelism, though. Nevertheless, some atheists have argued that public schools should not use them, since they have subliminal Christian messages. I got the impression that "Golden Compass" was meant to show what an atheist version would look like...sort of a "So there--see how that feels!"

Teaching Narnia in Classrooms--The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, church-state, school, religion in classroom - Beliefnet.com

An atheist’s ‘Narnia’ knockoff

Edited by prisonchaplain