Taking 'made In China' To A Whole New Level

prisonchaplain

Disney DVDs!

Apparently Disney gave a license to China to produce Disney classics. They dvds have Chinese characters, and the menu is bilingual. However, the soundtrack is the original English sound, and the movie is standard Disney quality.

These non-pirated, legally licensed, 'made in China' DVDs are running about $30 (+$20 for postage) for a 24-movie set.

It's probably legal, but is it right? These would cost you about $500 from disney.com.

I would guess that a large part of the answer might lie in how you came by the dvd's. Are they legally sold in the US,

It's one of those "too good to be true, but it really seems to be true" kinda deals. There are a few different vendors on Ebay. All of them have high #s and very positive ratings. All insist they are selling legally copyrighted Disney DVDs from China--that they are not bootleg, or pirates.

does Disney have a legal problem with the import or sale of them? Are there copyright issues?

There's that slight doubt. Maybe Disney doesn't know, or probably, this is an unintended, but totally legal endeavor. The DVDs are China-produced, with Chinese printing. Yet, here they are for sale here. Is it legal to sell media produced and copyrighted in China in the U.S. If not, the vendors are setting themselves up for serious criminal charges, since Ebay is a very public venue, with addresses etc. The packaging includes an actual address, in the U.S.

Maybe this is simply a case of buyers getting a product at over 90% off if they are willing to put up with some foreign language packaging/labeling. :dontknow:

Nope. They play just fine--and my system, ironically, is a Disney Princess VCR/DVD player, hooked to the same brand TV (made by memorex). The ad boldy proclaims there are no regional limits.

BTW, I noted that Dora the Explorer is now being sold out of the Philippines, with the same claim--though that one says it uses VCDs.

If you do any travel you need to have a region free DVD player -- or know how to convert a standard player into region free. I have DVDs from all over the world so region free is required.

We have the Disney Channel and if I had a DVD recorder I could record directly off of the TV. So in my opinion I would not care less about if a DVD is legit or not since almost all movies appear on various movie stations soon after release to DVD and (as long as the DVD is only being used for private purposes) I see no moral problems involved.

I'm confused about why a Disney movie costs $500 if it's produced in the US. Are you talking about movies that are still in the theater?

They average $20 a piece, and this was a 24-movie set. Add our 9.8% sales tax, and you have over $500. And, no, these are classics--bambi, dumbo, etc.

Why's this in the gospel discussion section?

Oops! :tinfoil:

Thanks, Outshined. I can't access auction websites from my worksite computer--so you saved me from having to post "Check Ebay, look for Disney classic movie set." Links are so much easier. :sparklygrin: