Retail help

Guest xforeverxmetalx

Guest xforeverxmetalx

So I've been working at Walmart in electronics for over two months now. And I can't stand having to stand all day.

At first, it was horrible. Then as I started exploring solutions (better shoes, inserts for high arches, doctor visits and medications, and more), it got better. But it's not enough. It's supposed to be getting easier by now as I get used to it, and it's not - actually, I question if it's getting worse. I'm starting to doubt that it ever will. I'm tired of always having sore feet, waking up in the morning and dreading standing up for the first time, having to plan out my activities in a way that keeps me off my feet as much as possible so I can rest and thus sacrificing things I would otherwise do.

The job itself is pretty good - I like electronics a lot, so I consider myself lucky for getting it. And I'm not just going to drop it because I need the money for college. I'll stick it out if I have to.

But my question is, what other related jobs could I apply for that wouldn't have the stand-all-day requirement? Anything where I could keep selling electronics or cell phones? I'm drawing a blank... pretty much all retail makes you stand, and a call center like job is probably mostly "help my phone's not working", and I'm not that technically inclined. Any suggestions (about possible jobs or otherwise dealing with things)? Thanks in advance.

I notice in malls all over that there are usually kiosks with people selling cell phones or phone accessories. I don't know what they pay, but there's always a chair and you could sit down when not dealing with customers. The other alternative might be a regular cell phone store where you might be able to sit sometimes.

Guest xforeverxmetalx

I notice in malls all over that there are usually kiosks with people selling cell phones or phone accessories. I don't know what they pay, but there's always a chair and you could sit down when not dealing with customers. The other alternative might be a regular cell phone store where you might be able to sit sometimes.

That's not a bad idea. Though I don't imagine places like that get too many sales - at least in phones, maybe accessories. And I have a friend who worked in an AT&T store and it was the same story there, so I imagine it's the case at other stores.

Being one that worked retail for years...welcome to the world of retail.

Kinda have to go with Pam on this one. Been doing retail for a long time and it's part of it. Better shoes help, but the right shoes with proper custom orthotics work best or have for me and being i have a lot of back and leg issues i have some idea. Also i find it best not to stand but to constantly be on the move. if i stand in one place i hurt, if i move i don't tend to notice it. My current retail job not only am i on my feet all day but i also have to run up and down ladders to fetch products all day, the more you condition your body the better it gets but it will never be perfect. Two months isn't all that long to really judge, I might not have quite as much experience in retail as Pam, but after a number of years i can tell you the kids who work for me whine at first but get used to it and actually start learning how to avoid the issues if they stick it out.

Ditto on the better shoes- and change your socks during lunch. Don't know why this helps but it always helped me. When I am on a shopping trip (do grocery shopping once a month) I bring not only a change of socks but also a change of shoes. Though the shoes are the same, putting on a fresh, cold pair helps.

I have always worked at jobs that I was on my feet- waitressing, bartending, retail in a hardware store, then as a cashier in a grocery store. After a few years of constant foot, leg, hip and back pain, I tossed the pretty shoes and invested in three pairs of quality shoes and said to heck to pretty fashionable ones.

Are there ergo-mats behind the counter? Those help tremendously!

Have a tried and true after work solution to tired, hurting feet. Take a chair or stool into the bathroom and sit in front of the toilet. Pour a bit of bleach into the bowl, put one foot in and hold it there until you can no longer stand the pain of the cold, then with your foot still in the toilet, flush. When the water is gone, remove your foot. Add some more bleach to the toilet and put your other foot in. Repeat. Note: this only works if the water is COLD! I don't know if adding the bleach is to sanitise the bowl, or if it actually helps in relieving the pain. You only need about 1/4 c of bleach, don't overdue it.

Clearly. But I would like to point out that it's on my second grader's homework today. And when don't care to put together a sentence with some semblance of literacy, people don't take you nearly as seriously.

Hidden

You're. YOU'RE YOU'RE YOU'RE. You are. You're.

Its frustrating when your trying too tale people how two right write, but their to dense two sea the wrong word and it's false.

Stupid homophones.

if your goingto work retail your going to be standing up....

your going to school so you won't have to work retail...look at it as a learning experience

You make it sound as if doing retail work is demeaning. I LOVE retail. I'd do it again in a heart beat if it paid better. I love the face to face with customers.

You make it sound as if doing retail work is demeaning. I LOVE retail. I'd do it again in a heart beat if it paid better. I love the face to face with customers.

Not my intention there is nothing wrong with working retail, but I'm sure the OP does not want to work in the electronics delt of Walmart for the rest of his life

Guest xforeverxmetalx

Kinda have to go with Pam on this one. Been doing retail for a long time and it's part of it. Better shoes help, but the right shoes with proper custom orthotics work best or have for me and being i have a lot of back and leg issues i have some idea. Also i find it best not to stand but to constantly be on the move. if i stand in one place i hurt, if i move i don't tend to notice it. My current retail job not only am i on my feet all day but i also have to run up and down ladders to fetch products all day, the more you condition your body the better it gets but it will never be perfect. Two months isn't all that long to really judge, I might not have quite as much experience in retail as Pam, but after a number of years i can tell you the kids who work for me whine at first but get used to it and actually start learning how to avoid the issues if they stick it out.

Hopefully you're right and it just needs more time.

Need to go to a really top notch shoe store (not Wal-Mart!). It can help.

I got some Sketchers shape ups - I'd heard they were great for the cushioning, and they really are. That's what I'm using now.

Ditto on the better shoes- and change your socks during lunch. Don't know why this helps but it always helped me. When I am on a shopping trip (do grocery shopping once a month) I bring not only a change of socks but also a change of shoes. Though the shoes are the same, putting on a fresh, cold pair helps.

I have always worked at jobs that I was on my feet- waitressing, bartending, retail in a hardware store, then as a cashier in a grocery store. After a few years of constant foot, leg, hip and back pain, I tossed the pretty shoes and invested in three pairs of quality shoes and said to heck to pretty fashionable ones.

Are there ergo-mats behind the counter? Those help tremendously!

Have a tried and true after work solution to tired, hurting feet. Take a chair or stool into the bathroom and sit in front of the toilet. Pour a bit of bleach into the bowl, put one foot in and hold it there until you can no longer stand the pain of the cold, then with your foot still in the toilet, flush. When the water is gone, remove your foot. Add some more bleach to the toilet and put your other foot in. Repeat. Note: this only works if the water is COLD! I don't know if adding the bleach is to sanitise the bowl, or if it actually helps in relieving the pain. You only need about 1/4 c of bleach, don't overdue it.

Thanks for the tips, I'll have to try some of those.

Not my intention there is nothing wrong with working retail, but I'm sure the OP does not want to work in the electronics delt of Walmart for the rest of his life

True enough, though for the time being, it's pretty cool (besides the standing thing).

At the registers of the Walmart I frequent there appear to be really soft, cushy mats. Do they offer this option at least when you are at the register working?

They have one behind one of the registers (we have two in the back) but it doesn't help much since you're only there when someone needs to check out.

I got some Sketchers shape ups - I'd heard they were great for the cushioning, and they really are. That's what I'm using now.

THAT is your problem.

Sketchers shape ups are designed for toning muscles. It is made to be off-balance on purpose so that you have to work muscles more. These shoes are not meant to be worn all day! One hour, two hours max. It is supposed to be used as a work-out accessory - the idea is that you can work-out while walking through normal errands and such saving time.

So, if you're using this for retail work, you're working your legs and glutes off the entire day!

Guest xforeverxmetalx

THAT is your problem.

Sketchers shape ups are designed for toning muscles. It is made to be off-balance on purpose so that you have to work muscles more. These shoes are not meant to be worn all day! One hour, two hours max. It is supposed to be used as a work-out accessory - the idea is that you can work-out while walking through normal errands and such saving time.

So, if you're using this for retail work, you're working your legs and glutes off the entire day!

Actually I've heard that the muscle toning claims are mostly false - but anyway my legs are fine. It's just the bottom of my feet that's the issue.

Actually I've heard that the muscle toning claims are mostly false - but anyway my legs are fine. It's just the bottom of my feet that's the issue.

The issue with shape ups is they don't tend to offer the right support. You need something with a strong arch as well as cushioning. I started this job I'm at now with a new pair of shape up's. They were great before i was working for just going and walking around for a few hours. I didn't need my orthotics for the first time in years, but when i put them on at work i was in agony, they just didn't have the support for the type of work i was doing. For the most part if you are standing on your feet all day you need something more like a true walking or training shoe with both the cushion and the support. trainers and walking shoes offer more stability than runners or shoes like shape ups which will help a lot. I have grown to like saucony, but also asics work quite well. New balance is good as well, even more if you find you have a wide foot.