Treated unfairly in my own classroom.

Sharkbait_

This is not a gospel specific subject but it's something I desperately need some advice or insight on.

I have began my first year of teaching at an inner city, very difficult school. I was hired to teach fourth grade and I literally had the class from heck, every teacher and faculty member in the school agreed. I worked my butt off every single day. I came to school early and I stayed late putting in hours and hours of extra work. I spent tons of my own money buying supplies and setting up the classroom. However, it was hard, the class was horrid and every single strategy of mine failed.

One of our kindergartener teachers took a job at another school. Our school, because of enrollment numbers, was unable to hire another teacher. We had one girl who was teaching first grade. She was an emergency hire, and this was counting as her student teaching. She was given a retired first grade teacher to help her set up and get her class going.

When the kindergarten teacher left, this girl was moved to kinder because she was endorsed. My principal switched me to first grade and the 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade classes have been rearranged and things are a mess.

I'm not upset by the switch. I LOVE first grade and have always wanted to teach it. However, I felt like the biggest reason I was switched is because I couldn't handle the fourth graders. My principal explained this wasn't necessarily the case. She says I'll do better in first grade and these changes needed to happen. Sure. It still hurts.

So I am switched to first, still expected to write sub plans for my fourth graders while they sort out the new classes. However. I am not teaching. The obnoxious old woman hired to help the emergency hire girl is now put in my classroom and she is the teacher. I am sitting back for a week or more and watching her teach my class while I 'ease' into the position. The kids are familiar with her- however, they like me and trust me and are very resilient. I've sent out a letter to parents explaining the switch. I am ready to teach.

I hate sitting back and not being able to do the job I was hired for. I hate watching this emergency hire take over her own class, while I, who has already student taught in the first grade is taking the back seat. This woman treats me like a little kid and is constantly correcting me, repeating things I already know or explaining basic teaching strategies. I know she is trying to help me. It makes me feel worthless, belittled and like I've been punished. I feel like the school doesn't respect me. She goes to all of our team meeting and talks for me and is always refering to 'our' classroom. I am the teacher. I also feel like I could do a much better job, I have to refrain from butting in on her unorganized and ineffective lessons.

I know this is silly, but should I have any right to feel this way? I don't like confrontation, it's often gotten me into trouble. How can I go about explaining my feelings and frustrations without looking like a whiny brat?

Do you want to be a great teacher, or do you want everyone to think you're a great teacher?

You have been taken from a hellish situation and given a far more tractable and enjoyable class. You have a mentor to show you the ropes. In short, you are in the PERFECT situation. The only problem is your wounded pride.

My advice is to let go of your bruised ego and be thankful for your improved situation. If your mentor treats you like a child, take advantage by asking her questions. Take chances on doing things with the kids, knowing that if you go too far or do something clumsy, your mentor will bail you out.

Don't let your ego screw up your opportunity. Seize this with both hands. Make friends with your mentor, and let her know how much you appreciate her guidance. (If you don't appreciate her guidance, pretend you do, and then change your attitude until you do appreciate it.) Maybe the principal was right in her decision; maybe you COULDN'T handle the fourth graders. So what? Learn to be a better teacher, and one day you will be able to handle them. Or maybe you'll spend your career with first-graders and won't ever have to worry about it.

Seriously. You were put in a terrible position, and now you're in a much better position. Don't mess it up with pridefulness.

Guest LiterateParakeet

Yes, please do let yourself feel what you feel. Talk about it with friends, work through it. It is ok to feel what you feel.

I was a little surprised that you saw this as a demotion. In my mind, you got a promotion. I can see the principal saying, "Sharkbait has really worked hard with that difficult 4th grade class. Now that we have an opening in 1st grade, let's give him/her(???) a chance for a break. We can throw someone else to the lions aka 4th grade."

Your feelings are valid though. I have found when my emotions surprise me, that like a glacier, there is a much more going on below the surface than I realize. That is all right too. Those feelings especially merit feeling and discussing and working through. "Stuffing" your feelings doesn't work, they come out in other ways...

This isn't quite on topic but after reading a few of your threads and looking at your screen name... I think I know who you are.

And I will give my advice based on who I think you are:

The first year of teaching is CRAZY. You were sent for quite the loop. You also have a rather Type A personality and have spent many years taking charge in situations where you knew what you were doing and were respected.

Pout, eat ice cream, watch the DVDs I lent your mother, and by Christmas you'll hopefully be past this.

Edited by Backroads

The first year is always the hardest. I felt so inadequate my first year of teaching. It does get better. College does not prepare you for the classroom, student teaching does not prepare you. Unfortunately the only thing you can do is experience it first hand. You sound like you started with a very dificult situation. Enjoy the new experiences you will have with first grade. Enjoy having a mentor for a while, enjoy your class. Oh.... and definately eat lots of ice cream :)

This is not a gospel specific subject but it's something I desperately need some advice or insight on.

I have began my first year of teaching at an inner city, very difficult school. I was hired to teach fourth grade and I literally had the class from heck, every teacher and faculty member in the school agreed. I worked my butt off every single day. I came to school early and I stayed late putting in hours and hours of extra work. I spent tons of my own money buying supplies and setting up the classroom. However, it was hard, the class was horrid and every single strategy of mine failed.

One of our kindergartener teachers took a job at another school. Our school, because of enrollment numbers, was unable to hire another teacher. We had one girl who was teaching first grade. She was an emergency hire, and this was counting as her student teaching. She was given a retired first grade teacher to help her set up and get her class going.

When the kindergarten teacher left, this girl was moved to kinder because she was endorsed. My principal switched me to first grade and the 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade classes have been rearranged and things are a mess.

I'm not upset by the switch. I LOVE first grade and have always wanted to teach it. However, I felt like the biggest reason I was switched is because I couldn't handle the fourth graders. My principal explained this wasn't necessarily the case. She says I'll do better in first grade and these changes needed to happen. Sure. It still hurts.

So I am switched to first, still expected to write sub plans for my fourth graders while they sort out the new classes. However. I am not teaching. The obnoxious old woman hired to help the emergency hire girl is now put in my classroom and she is the teacher. I am sitting back for a week or more and watching her teach my class while I 'ease' into the position. The kids are familiar with her- however, they like me and trust me and are very resilient. I've sent out a letter to parents explaining the switch. I am ready to teach.

I hate sitting back and not being able to do the job I was hired for. I hate watching this emergency hire take over her own class, while I, who has already student taught in the first grade is taking the back seat. This woman treats me like a little kid and is constantly correcting me, repeating things I already know or explaining basic teaching strategies. I know she is trying to help me. It makes me feel worthless, belittled and like I've been punished. I feel like the school doesn't respect me. She goes to all of our team meeting and talks for me and is always refering to 'our' classroom. I am the teacher. I also feel like I could do a much better job, I have to refrain from butting in on her unorganized and ineffective lessons.

I know this is silly, but should I have any right to feel this way? I don't like confrontation, it's often gotten me into trouble. How can I go about explaining my feelings and frustrations without looking like a whiny brat?

I think it was totally uncool for anyone to say that "your only problem is your wounded pride".

My Sister nearly went crazy teaching her first year. Twice I came home and she would be piteously weeping, and I felt helpless. This year, she had the Summer off and got right to it when school started. Most of us wonder if we have the right stuff when we start something new.

May Heavenly Father bless you.

By golly, you are right. I did not remember writing that, I didn't see it in my quick reread, and I was so sure I had not written it that I got a bit snippy about it.

My apologies, Sunnysprite. You were right that I did in fact write that. *blush*

Hidden

Yet you're always so sure of yourself and all Type A on here! I would have never guessed!

Hmmm. Overcompensation, perhaps? How I perceive myself appears not to be how others perceive me. I'm not at all Type A, which is probably why I'm 40+ pounds overweight.