Tithing?

DaZebra

So my drama department is doing a fundraiser for an upcoming trip, you know the whole cookie dough shebang, 45% of the profit goes to my funds....should I pay tithing on that 45%?

I wouldn't. I don't consider that YOUR increase.

In fact, my reaction is that paying anything on what you earn from the fundraiser is, in a way, stealing from the drama department. You're representing the drama department, not yourself.

I see where Backroads is coming from and tend to agree that money raised for the trip should be applied to the trip, from a legalistic/fair dealing point of view. But I personally would consider it "increase" and therefore subject to tithing (it's giving me a trip I wouldn't otherwise be able to take), and I'd probably dig out $10 from my personal funds to cover that.

Your own conclusions may vary; there isn't a detailed set of rules for this kind of thing. Let your parents, ecclesiastical leaders, and the Spirit guide you in this.

So my drama department is doing a fundraiser for an upcoming trip, you know the whole cookie dough shebang, 45% of the profit goes to my funds....should I pay tithing on that 45%?

Here's my opinion: If you are creating the cookie dough, collecting the proceeds, and then donating that to the department, then I would say yes, you should tithe it. On the other hand, if you are simply an agent for the sales effort, then no, you are donating your time, and the proceeds never were yours to begin with, so you don't tithe it.

Here's my opinion: If you are creating the cookie dough, collecting the proceeds, and then donating that to the department, then I would say yes, you should tithe it. On the other hand, if you are simply an agent for the sales effort, then no, you are donating your time, and the proceeds never were yours to begin with, so you don't tithe it.

I find that a very fair assessment.

I spoke from my personal experience with participating in and observing school fundraisers. 100% of the time it has been: Here is the product donating company has given us to sell for them with such percentage coming back to the department.

But if you were coming up with the product on your own time and effort, yeah, I would definitely go with JAG's definition of increase.

DaZebra, if you're not sure on the situation, I would check with the drama department to find out just whose money the profits are considered: You or the drama department you. That would give you a proper base to make a decision from.

Edited by Backroads

Why not just ask for donation rather than selling something most people don't want at a price much higher than they could buy it for -- I hate schools doing fundraisers -- ask for cash outright, I'll be happy to donate, or put it into the budget which is where it should be in the first place.