What's For Dinner?

shanstress70

I was talking to an LDSTalk friend the other day about getting back on my healthy eating plan after the crazy holidays. She suggested I start a thread about it to get some ideas.

Anyone have any healthy but good (and preferably quick and easy) ideas?

I have a great recipe that I got from a fellow Weight Watcher at a meeting. It sounds wierd, but it's SO good and very few points and lots of fiber. Even my kid loves it, but it's a little spicy. If you don't like spicy foods, use regular tomatoes instead of Ro-tel.

Too Good To Be True Stew

1 lb extra-lean ground beef or turkey

1 lg onion, chopped

1 bag coleslaw mix

4 cans Ro-tel tomatoes

1 15 oz can diced tomatoes

1 can Great Northern beans, drained

1 can Black beans, drained

1 can Pinto beans, drained

1 8 oz can tomato sauce

Brown meat and onion. Combine with all other ingredients and simmer for 1 hour (stirring frequently).

Are you serious with that reply? Must I really defend my recipe? Well, OK...

Extra lean beef or ground turkey IS healthy. Plus, I like meat and am not interested in being a vegetarian. :)

As far as cans of beans, canned ones are just as healthy as fresh.

It would take a bushel of tomatoes to equal the 5 cans of them (Ro-tel is tomatoes with peppers), plus processed tomatoes have WAY more lycopene than fresh, which is important for my husband's 'male-parts' health. :D

Cole slaw mix IS fresh cabbage and carrots that you buy already shredded.

This is not a gourmet meal, by any means, but a quick, easy, and healthy way to get dinner on the table on a weeknight. And it's easy to keep most of the stuff on hand and not have to make a trip to the grocery store... a pantry meal.

I was talking to an LDSTalk friend the other day about getting back on my healthy eating plan after the crazy holidays. She suggested I start a thread about it to get some ideas.

Anyone have any healthy but good (and preferably quick and easy) ideas?

I have a great recipe that I got from a fellow Weight Watcher at a meeting. It sounds wierd, but it's SO good and very few points and lots of fiber. Even my kid loves it, but it's a little spicy. If you don't like spicy foods, use regular tomatoes instead of Ro-tel.

Too Good To Be True Stew

1 lb extra-lean ground beef or turkey

1 lg onion, chopped

1 bag coleslaw mix

4 cans Ro-tel tomatoes

1 15 oz can diced tomatoes

1 can Great Northern beans, drained

1 can Black beans, drained

1 can Pinto beans, drained

1 8 oz can tomato sauce

Brown meat and onion. Combine with all other ingredients and simmer for 1 hour (stirring frequently).

I am not much on stews.....but this sounds pretty good shan.....I am not much on spicy foods or onions.....I am still an overgrown little kid..... :sparklygrin:

Alright, here is another one of my staples that I'll share. I had a great friend who lived across the street who is from Brazil (though she has since moved across town :( ), and I enjoyed this at her house many times.

Brazilians eat a lot of meat that they season simply with sea salt and then grill (they call the technique 'Churrasco'). They would serve this salsa with a sampling of grilled steak, chicken, sausage, and pork. Yes... all in one meal!

I frequently have it with grilled chicken breasts and some good crusty French bread. It's REALLY good!

BRAZILIAN VINAIGRETTE SALSA

1 cup of bell peppers (I use yellow bc I don't like green)

½ cup diced red onions

1 cup diced ripe tomatoes

¼ cup white wine vinegar

2 tbs of olive oil

In a bowl, mix green and red peppers, onions, tomatoes, vinegar and olive oil.

Nice recipes Shanstress...I suppose us vegetarians could use 'fake' meats such as Quorn instead of the meat.

YUMMY... grilled Quorn! ;)

JK, Pushka. I had never heard of this so I looked it up. I'm anti-soy, so I usually steer clear of those meat substitutes. Actually it's made from soil mold and binded with egg whites. Even better!

But hey, it does appear to be healthy. :)

One more, then I'll give someone else the opportunity to share. ^_^

Prepare strawberry Jello according to directions on the box and let chill in the fridge until set. (You can use sugar-free and make it even lower cal, but I'm anti-artificial sweeteners.)

Fold in half a container of Cool Whip and fresh sliced strawberries (or frozen if that's all you can get).

Chill for a bit longer.

It's really good and satisfies a sweet tooth!

This is the college-student's quick'n'dirty meal, but I was surprised how good it tasted when I tried it. Just cook up some mac'n'cheese, then add frozen peas and some salsa. Stir all together, grate some fresh cheddar cheese on top, let it melt...you have to try it to understand it. ;)

This is the college-student's quick'n'dirty meal, but I was surprised how good it tasted when I tried it. Just cook up some mac'n'cheese, then add frozen peas and some salsa. Stir all together, grate some fresh cheddar cheese on top, let it melt...you have to try it to understand it. ;)

I'll have to try it... sounds like something my kid would like too. When I was in college, we did the mac n cheese with a can of tuna added. It was good too... and cheap!

Are you serious with that reply? Must I really defend my recipe? Well, OK...

Extra lean beef or ground turkey IS healthy. Plus, I like meat and am not interested in being a vegetarian. :)

As far as cans of beans, canned ones are just as healthy as fresh.

It would take a bushel of tomatoes to equal the 5 cans of them (Ro-tel is tomatoes with peppers), plus processed tomatoes have WAY more lycopene than fresh, which is important for my husband's 'male-parts' health. :D

Cole slaw mix IS fresh cabbage and carrots that you buy already shredded.

This is not a gourmet meal, by any means, but a quick, easy, and healthy way to get dinner on the table on a weeknight. And it's easy to keep most of the stuff on hand and not have to make a trip to the grocery store... a pantry meal.

Sorry if I offended you, I had no intention to do so :blush:

I'm not vegetarian either, but if you take out the meat then it's even healthier. And canned produce is not as healthy as fresh because, well it's not fresh. Coleslaw must be different in the USA that to here in the UK as here it's shredded cabbage and carrot in mayonnaise.

Sorry if I offended you, I had no intention to do so :blush:

I'm not vegetarian either, but if you take out the meat then it's even healthier. And canned produce is not as healthy as fresh because, well it's not fresh. Coleslaw must be different in the USA that to here in the UK as here it's shredded cabbage and carrot in mayonnaise.

No prob, Bob... not offended! 'Coleslaw' is the same, but 'coleslaw mix' is found in the produce section here, and consists of shredded cabbage and carrots with nothing added. It IS fresh produce.

Once again, I have to disagree with you about the canned tomatoes not being as nutritious as fresh. From a reliable source online (and you can find it anywhere if you do a quick search):

Tomatoes

Diet Nutrition

Tomatoes are high in the antioxidant vitamins beta-carotene, vitamin C and vitamin E, as well as the carotenoid lycopene. This means that tomatoes are helpful in preventing heart disease and cancers. Tomatoes are also high in potassium but very low in sodium which means they help combat high blood pressure and fluid retention.

Unlike some other canned foods, canned tomatoes retain most of their nutrients. In fact, cooked or canned tomatoes contain more lycopene than raw tomatoes. If buying canned tomatoes choose varieties without added sodium.

AND:

Canned pinto beans can be found in many markets. Unlike canned vegetables, which have lost much of their nutritional value, there is little difference in the nutritional value of canned pinto beans and those you cook yourself. Canning lowers vegetables' nutritional value since they are best lightly cooked for a short period of time, while their canning process requires a long cooking time at high temperatures. On the other hand, beans require a long time to cook whether they are canned or you cook them yourself. Therefore, if enjoying canned beans is more convenient for you, by all means go ahead and enjoy them. We would suggest looking for those that do not contain extra salt or additives.

I do agree with you that most vegetables are more nutritious in their fresh states... just not these two. :)

Oh!!! Of course, macaroni and cheese...what a wally, I didn't even think of macaroni...sounds like a great recipe now I know what it is..thanks for the extra info. :)

Here you go: http://www.kraft.com/100/innovations/kraftmac.html

I prefer Velveeta Shells, don't have to add milk or butter - I buy it when it is $1.00 or $1.50 each. To be different I add a can of cream of mushroom soup or cream of celery or cream of broccoli soup. 1/3 can of milk and then add one of the following: canned tuna (drained very well), canned chicken (drained), canned ham(drained), canned beef (drained), cubed cooked chicken, cubed cooked ham, hamburger, cubed/shredded cooked beef, cubed/shredded pork. Toss in two or three large handfuls of frozen vegetables that you have partially thawed by running hot tap water on, drained well. Now you have a casserole meal in a saucepan. Takes maybe 30 minutes tops!

GB-UK - the reason for using canned red/pinto/kidney beans is they are a great time saver. I can't use them, because my husband has to have his beans presoaked for at least 12 hours or his stomach will HURT bad!!! I pre-soak, then I bring to a boil - take off and rinse, then add more water and cook.

<div class='quotemain'>

Oh!!! Of course, macaroni and cheese...what a wally, I didn't even think of macaroni...sounds like a great recipe now I know what it is..thanks for the extra info. :)

Here you go: http://www.kraft.com/100/innovations/kraftmac.html

I prefer Velveeta Shells, don't have to add milk or butter - I buy it when it is $1.00 or $1.50 each. To be different I add a can of cream of mushroom soup or cream of celery or cream of broccoli soup. 1/3 can of milk and then add one of the following: canned tuna (drained very well), canned chicken (drained), canned ham(drained), canned beef (drained), cubed cooked chicken, cubed cooked ham, hamburger, cubed/shredded cooked beef, cubed/shredded pork. Toss in two or three large handfuls of frozen vegetables that you have partially thawed by running hot tap water on, drained well. Now you have a casserole meal in a saucepan. Takes maybe 30 minutes tops!

GB-UK - the reason for using canned red/pinto/kidney beans is they are a great time saver. I can't use them, because my husband has to have his beans presoaked for at least 12 hours or his stomach will HURT bad!!! I pre-soak, then I bring to a boil - take off and rinse, then add more water and cook.

Mrs S.....you are correct......the velveeta kind is the best....all the others don't stack up.........