Fasting? Recommended?

Oh, quick question! What about chewing gum? Is that considering breaking fast? Or is that acceptable.

Some people chew gum during a fast to keep their mouths moist and avoid "fasting breath". I don't see that sugarless gum would be a fasting violation. Personally, I do not chew gum during a fast (or almost any other time, either).

In a sidebar, some of you might be pleased to know that I took your advice and chatted with some nice LDS girls on Mormon.org and they gave my information to an online missionary who immediately emailed me and so now I've been communicating with him pleasantly. I feel a little sad because I suppose that means my time here on the forums is somewhat over since I'm certain he can or should be able to answer any questions I need to learn about the Mormon church.

I sincerely thank all of the wonderful people who have provided their guidance and support over the past couple of weeks.

You don't have to leave us. In fact, some investigators while working with missionaries, still came here to ask questions to get different perspectives and "how to" do things in real life.

Good luck with your journey. We'd like to know how you are doing along the way.

You don't have to leave us. In fact, some investigators while working with missionaries, still came here to ask questions to get different perspectives and "how to" do things in real life.

Good luck with your journey. We'd like to know how you are doing along the way.

Good point. It would be good to get different perspectives!

7 hours of fasting to go. Lord give me strengtnh.

Don't leave us NOW?!?

It's like watching a movie with a great cliffhanger... and no promise of a sequel!

Keep in touch with us. We compliment the missionary efforts very well.

Oh yes, Hyena, don't go now. I used the board while I took my lessons. I think the board and the missionaries complement each other. I still use the board to ask questions that I don't want to ask of people who know me.

!!!!Don't leave!!!!

Thank you all!

As long as you can stand me I'll keep you updated on my exploration and use you all as a valued resource for any questions I might have. So far, I feel very welcomed by the church and if this is what it is like to be a member, I think it makes my decision process that much more easier. Like I said, it's going to be very hard for me to become a Mormon and what I'll probably endure and my biggest fear is that it'll be one of those situations where they say, "well, we got him converted, on to the next needy soul." And I'll be tossed onto the heap and forgotten as just another in a long line of converts who probably cease to attend sacrament within a year of baptism. Which brings to mind another question but I'll post it in the forum appropriately.

As for this thread, I've completed my fasting and it was... not as bad as I thought. I had to try to pray a few times because the desire to eat and the lightheaded feeling I got towards the end felt more like excuses to give up but I stuck it out. I've been reading the Book of Mormon, and whilst I'm totally confused about Nephi and Lehi, I'm sure re-reading on a full stomach might help my cognitive abilities better.

Thank you all for the advice. Next time I'll attempt to do it without water. The only thing I didn't know was WHAT I was supposed to pray or pray about so I just repeatedly prayed for understanding and strength to not give in and eat.

I give you full props for doing it!

What I find interesting, is that after a certain time of fasting, I'm not craving food anymore. I begin to feel that "I'm above that" for a time... that you're dedicating this time for a purpose.

And you did that! Good job! I'm proud of you.

If you wanted to ask questions about Lehi & Nephi, you can start a new thread at this link here:

Scripture Study Forum

As for this thread, I've completed my fasting and it was... not as bad as I thought. I had to try to pray a few times because the desire to eat and the lightheaded feeling I got towards the end felt more like excuses to give up but I stuck it out. I've been reading the Book of Mormon, and whilst I'm totally confused about Nephi and Lehi, I'm sure re-reading on a full stomach might help my cognitive abilities better.

It might be helpful to scan through this: LDS.org - Children Table of Contents - Book of Mormon Stories

It's rather basic as it is aimed at children, but it may help you get some of the narrative down. It can be easier to focus on the details when we're not so confused about the broad strokes. You may also find this one helpful, https://www.lds.org/manual/book-of-mormon-student-study-guide?lang=eng , at this point the word guides* and the introductory paragraphs I see as being the most helpful as they have a brief synopsis and sometimes some additional context.

*Assuming you aren't comfortable with King James English.

Edited by Dravin

Pray for specifics. You want to know if this is the Lord's church. Ask for God to give you that answer. As members, we fast once a month as a church (first Sunday of each month) and have a testimony meeting rather than the usual sermons where members are free to share their feelings with the congregation. Then we give offering to the poor in equivalence to what we would have spent on food for ourselves. This way, we achieve several things. 1) we put off the physical for the spiritual 2) we focus the time on supplication and prayer 3) we feel the real hunger pains of the needy and 4) we exchange that hunger for their needs by providing them the food we gave up. The program helps fills the bishop's storehouse (the local LDS food bank). I can't think of a more perfect program where everyone benefits from it.

Concerning gum, good question, I personally have to do a modified fast because last time I did a full fast I passed clean out. Yuck. I usually do not like to use gum, but now that I am singing so much as Primary chorister and sometime ward choir member I do use sugar free gum to keep my throat from locking up altogether.

Some members do gum, most do not. I would think it is a personal choice and go with your conscience. I do drink when I am taking medication during my fasting time.

On a side note, So glad you are chatting with missionaries, they are the best...sister ones are especially cheerful I think. :)