"blood Bought" Christians

AFDaw

On another board I'm on they have a religion section and one of the threads was about what religion everyone is and SEVERAL people claimed to be "blood bought" Christians. Someone asked what that was and this was the reply...

Blood bought means I was bought by the blood of Jesus Christ. He shed His blood to cover my sins. I don't have to work my way to heaven-His bloodshed pays my way. I have to personally accept that Jesus' blood was shed for me, though, for it to make a difference in my life.

This was the first time I've ever heard of it. I'm wondering if this means that they can literally do anything and still get into Heaven as long as they accept that Christ died for their sins. Anyone know?

**edited because I was going to correct the title...though I'm seeing that's not possible.

Originally posted by AFDaw@Mar 17 2004, 09:58 AM

This was the first time I've ever heard of it. I'm wondering if this means that they can literally do anything and still get into Heaven as long as they accept that Christ died for their sins. Anyone know?

Sad to say that there are some who think that exact thing.

I believe that they mean the same thing. I have never heard that specific term before, but I have heard of "washed in the blood of the Lamb" Christians.

People who believe in this, IMO, are convenience Christians. They do only what is convenient for them, and if it isn't, Oh, well, Christ shed his blood for me so I am covered anyway. It is the Christian "easy street", IMO.

Originally posted by Snow@Mar 17 2004, 11:16 AM

It's just a marketing term  to sell their easy-come, easy-go, all ya gotta do is believe, magic remedy to absolve themselves of personal responsibility.

OHHHHHH, Good Statements!

"convenience Christians. They* do only what is convenient for them, and if it isn't, Oh, well, Christ shed his blood for me so I am covered anyway."

"all ya gotta do is believe, magic remedy to absolve themselves of personal responsibility."

Good statements make you think...unless one is so closed minded that they can't see the truth as it is brought forth by others.

I may have to keep these in storage for future use :)

I do not see one single piece of scripture here? If people are so wrong, then surely you wil be able to prove your points with scriptures. Show how they are wrong instead of making blanket statements. Instead of acting like you are so much better than these people, who don't you use some scripture to back up your points. if your opinion cannot be backed up with scripture than it is nothing more than your opinion.

Originally posted by Tr2@Mar 17 2004, 01:56 PM

I do not see one single piece of scripture here? If people are so wrong, then surely you wil be able to prove your points with scriptures. Show how they are wrong instead of making blanket statements. Instead of acting like you are so much better than these people, who don't you use some scripture to back up your points. if your opinion cannot be backed up with scripture than it is nothing more than your opinion.

I think this ties in very closely with the other thread about being Born Again/Good Behavior. Just pretend those scriptures are posted in this thread.

Originally posted by Tr2@Mar 17 2004, 01:56 PM

I think what you mean (correct me if I'm wrong) is that if it can not be backed up by your interpretation of scripture...well you know the rest.

You hardly need scripture to discuss this particular mindset. :rolleyes: I ran into a pastor a few years ago who told me that since he was "saved", he could rape, murder children (his words) or do whatever he wants, because his salvation is assured.

The scary part is that this person is leading a congregation to the same conclusions. It doesn't take a scriptorian to explain that this is a distortion of Christianity.

Guest Taoist_Saint

This brings up another thought...

Where do you draw the line on atonement?

LDS are said to be pardoned for all sins except the unforgiveable sin of apostacy, right?

However, I think I also read somewhere that the LDS consider murder to be an unforgiveable sin...but I might have interpreted my scriptures wrong.

And all they need to do (except in the case of murder or apostacy) is repent sincerely, right?

Do I understand the LDS doctrine correctly?

What about other Christian sects? Where do they draw the line? Is repentence required or optional?

my mom is down with the blood bought scene. but she doesnt abuse it. She lives what would be considerd a christian life but doesnt hold others to any such standard and doesnt think she HAS to do what she does to go to heaven.

i disagree completely. Anyone who can read Mathew 7:21 knows the blood bought scene is bogus.

I think what you mean (correct me if I'm wrong) is that if it can not be backed up by your interpretation of scripture...well you know the rest.

When it comes to this topic I use examples, those who don't agree with me use their "interpretations". I use the thread that Jenda mentioned as my example to prove that. i don't think these types of scriptures require any in depth interpretation because they are so straight forward. NOWHERE IN THE NT CAN YOU SHOW ME THAT GOOD WORKS LEAD TO AN ETERNITY IN HEAVEN. However I can show you multiple examples of God's grace leading us to heaven.

Guest Starsky

Originally posted by Taoist_Saint@Mar 17 2004, 04:35 PM

This brings up another thought...

Where do you draw the line on atonement?

LDS are said to be pardoned for all sins except the unforgiveable sin of apostacy, right?

However, I think I also read somewhere that the LDS consider murder to be an unforgiveable sin...but I might have interpreted my scriptures wrong.

And all they need to do (except in the case of murder or apostacy) is repent sincerely, right?

Do I understand the LDS doctrine correctly?

What about other Christian sects?  Where do they draw the line?  Is repentence required or optional?

I don't think other's draw a line...sin is sin....big sin needs more blood....

Originally posted by lindy9556+Mar 17 2004, 10:09 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lindy9556 @ Mar 17 2004, 10:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--AFDaw@Mar 17 2004, 09:58 AM

This was the first time I've ever heard of it.  I'm wondering if this means that they can literally do anything and still get into Heaven as long as they accept that Christ died for their sins.  Anyone know?

Actually, there is mormon doctrine to the same effect. Oh, you have to be a "cut above" the rest, but it still applies. Somewhere in last part of DC--"having your calling and election made sure"---actually, earlier in the church it also applied to temple marriage "sealed by the hold spirit of promise"---and you were guanranteed celestial kingdom.

Guest Starsky
This was the first time I've ever heard of it.  I'm wondering if this means that they can literally do anything and still get into Heaven as long as they accept that Christ died for their sins.  Anyone know?

Actually, there is mormon doctrine to the same effect. Oh, you have to be a "cut above" the rest, but it still applies. Somewhere in last part of DC--"having your calling and election made sure"---actually, earlier in the church it also applied to temple marriage "sealed by the hold spirit of promise"---and you were guanranteed celestial kingdom.

Oh no..... you haven't read what I am about to quote:

The Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith..Pages 150-151

The other Comforter spoken of is a subject of great interest, and perhaps understood by few of this generation. After a person has faith in Christ, repents of his sins, and is baptized for the remission of his sins and receives the Holy Ghost, 9by the laying on of hands), which is the first Comforter, then let him continue ot humble himself before God, hungering and thirsting after righteousness, and living by every word of God, and the Lord will soon say unto him, Son, thou shalt be exalted. When the Lord has thoroughly proved him, and finds that the man is determined to serve Him at all hazards, then he man will find his calling and his election made sure, then it will be his privilege to receive the other comforter, which the Lord hath promised the Saints, as is recorded in the testimony of St. John, in the 14th chapter, from the 12th, to the 27th verses.

Note the 16, 17, 18, and 23 verses:

16 And I will pray the Father, and He shall give you another Comfoter, that he may abide with you forever:

17Even the Spirit of Truth; whom the world connot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him; but ye know him, for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

23 If a man love me, he will keep my word: and my Father will loe him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Now what is the other Comforter? It is no more nor less than the Lord Jesus Christ Himself: and this is the sum and substance of the whole matter: that when any man obtains this last Comfoter, he will have the personage of Jesus Christ to attend him, or appear unto him, from time to time, and even He will manifest the Father unto him, and they will take up their abode with him, and visions of the heavens will be opened unto him, and the Lord will teach him face to face, and he may have a perfect knowledge of the mysteries of the kingdom of God; and this is the estate and place the ancient Saints arrived at when they had glorious visions- Isaiah, Ezekiel, John upon the Isle of Patmos, St. Paul in the three heavens, and ALL THE SAINTS who held communion with the general assembly and Church of the Firstborn.