Was Jesus Married?

Chanteemomof6

In I believe John 2 Jesus was in charge of the wine which was only the husbands duty. Though the text early on treats Jesus as an invited guest.

I understand the argument is only married men in Jesus time were called Rabbi. That only married men could teach in the synagogue.

In John 11 Jesus calls out a woman in mourning which only a husband could do.

After Jesus death certain women came to annoint his body with spices. It was the duty of widows only to be able to touch the body.

An LDS book entitled the Gainsayers by Darrick Troy Evenson presented the arguments for a married Jesus. The author since left the LDS Church. He has since written some nasty stuff about the LDS Church. I caution against everything he writes outside of only two books he has written. The trashy stuff he currently leaves on the internet about the LDS church is not very good. I tried dialoguing with him via e-mail, but it was a bad experience.

He based his conclusion not on what the Bible says about a married Jesus. But rather he based it on his understanding of Jewish tradition which may or may not be valid. The Bible says nothing directly stating Jesus was married.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. I know I still new at this and I know that it was practiced but being a requirement for a rabbi is not consistent with my knowledge. Can you dig up those resources please? Also, while you're looking, make sure it is not one author who may have had a bias toward polygamy or a sect. Make sure it is consistent across other authors of that time.

Thank you,

Dr. T

Unless I misunderstand, you have just eliminated most anyone that would have any motive to research and publish on the subject. I'm limited to atheist authors/recourses?

I personally can't see how this might be important enough to debate. There is no information about it in scripture, meaning it wasn't vital to our salvation to know the personal details of Christ's life on earth, and all will be made clear after we die...

Well, As I understand Mormonism, and probably most Christian denominations, Jesus is our example. A perfect example. We were commanded to be like him (Matt 5:48, 3 Nephi 12:48), a difficult task if we don't know him. I know it seems odd, but there are many people that believe Jesus was celibate and therefore celibacy is a higher order.

<div class='quotemain'>

Just read the Parable of the Ten Virgins. "Nuff said.

:dontknow: Not sure what a parable telling us to be prepared for the coming of Christ is related to what we're talking about.

oh trust me..... Parable of Ten Virgins does say a bit on the subject. References of Christs marraige are in the Bible, as previously shown in previous posts. Required for salvation to know? Hardly. But.... you are to seek knowledge and heavenly things while on earth. If someone, lets say, was very very close to the spirit and Christ himself.... how could they not know? It would be given if asked and sought. Corinthians 15 also briefly touches a few principles relating to such a topic. I am not trying to take up alot of your time, but there are things to know by revelation- you will find support for your revelations of the spirit in scripture. So, lets be faithful and seek out our salvation.

<div class='quotemain'>

:dontknow: Not sure what a parable telling us to be prepared for the coming of Christ is related to what we're talking about.

One would have to be blind to not see that the parable is conveying a message about being prepared, but is also using a polygamist example to make the point. First, these women were not just friends or relatives of the bride or groom (the term virgin would then not be used -- young women identified as virgins generally meant they were available and desirable for marriage. Second, if they were virgins (and just friends) would any father of that period have left them alone with a man without some sort of chaperone? Third, just read the parable -- 5 women didn't measure up for the marriage.

Now I am not saying the five women were all Jesus's wives as I don't see evidence of that anywhere. However, try having a person from a culture that has not been brainwashed to believe that polygamy is immoral and if they read the parable I think they will get what it's all about. And Jesus using such a parable (without any reference to condemning the relationship) implies acceptance of the practice of polygamy.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

One would have to be blind to not see that the parable is conveying a message about being prepared, but is also using a polygamist example to make the point. First, these women were not just friends or relatives of the bride or groom (the term virgin would then not be used -- young women identified as virgins generally meant they were available and desirable for marriage. Second, if they were virgins (and just friends) would any father of that period have left them alone with a man without some sort of chaperone? Third, just read the parable -- 5 women didn't measure up for the marriage.

Now I am not saying the five women were all Jesus's wives as I don't see evidence of that anywhere. However, try having a person from a culture that has not been brainwashed to believe that polygamy is immoral and if they read the parable I think they will get what it's all about. And Jesus using such a parable (without any reference to condemning the relationship) implies acceptance of the practice of polygamy.

:rolleyes: oh brother !

Reading both Matt. 24 and 25, I take them both as being prepared for Jesus' return. From the 10 virgins that Jesus talks about ultimately we see that 5 were ready and 5 were not. They all gave the appearance of being ready, (they had their lamps) but were they really ready? No. They lacked something. Maybe this is talking about people who say (verbal/lip service) they are saved and ready for the second coming but in actuality they are not. They might "look good" but maybe they don't really have the Holy Spirit in them. I need to look more into this, it's just my reading of it. A Jewish man I spoke to though said something about "10 lamps being a bridal procession." Not that all the woman were to marry the bridegroom.

Dr. T

I do believe many of Christ's parables have more than one meaning, for those with eyes to see and ears to hear. I'll give one example I learned about a few years ago.

Take the parable of the Good Samaritan. All the figures and details in the parable not only teach about loving our neighbor, they also witness of Christ's role as our Savior. Let me briefly break the parable down to basics and explain what I mean. I'll assume we're all familiar with the parable, but if you need to brush up on it read Luke 10. Here we go.

(1) The man who left Jerusalem to go to Jericho: the man represents each of us who enter mortality.

(2) Jerusalem and Jericho: Jerusalem was the holiest city and capital of the Jewish kingdom; it is 2600 feet above seal level. It here represents heaven or the holy realm we inhabited in God's presence during our premortal existence. Jericho is 800 feet below sea level and was not considered a holy city. It here represents the fallen world we all inhabit.

(3) Going down from Jerusalem to Jericho: this symbolizes our birth into mortality; we leave the holy presence of God and literally descend into the fallen world we now live in.

(4) Falling among thieves, being robbed/beaten, left for dead: this represents the wages of sin, so to speak. As a result of the sins we will all commit in mortality, we lose our innocence and become spiritually dead to some degree. We need to be saved from the effects of sin as the man in the parable needed to be saved from the condition the thieves left him in.

(5) The priest who passes by the wounded man: the priests were descendants of Aaron, and served in the sanctuary as mediators between God and Israel. Jesus here teaches that the Law of Moses and Aaronic priesthood cannot save us from sin, symbolized by the priest not helping the wounded man.

(6) The Levite who passes by the wounded man: the Levites had less authority than priests, and did not have to be descendants of Aaron, just descendants of Levi. They assisted the priests with sacrifices and temple duties. Jesus here teaches that they cannot save us from sin either.

(6) The Samaritan: Samaritans were Israelites who were carried off into pagan lands by the kingdoms of Assyria and Babylon, and who later returned with the blessings of King Cyrus. They had married non-Jews during their captivity, and were seen as "half-Jews" because of their mixed blood. The Samaritan represents Jesus. Just as Samaritans were a mix of Jew and gentile, Jesus was part God and part mortal.

(7) The Samaritan rescuing the wounded man: the actions of the Samaritan in the parable are analogous to Christ's work as our Savior. He binds our wounds, anoints us with grace, heals us, and just as the Samaritan remedied the work of the thieves, Christ's atonement reverses the effects of sin for the repentant.

There is more that could be said about this message within the parable. My point is that the parable of the Ten Virgins and others may in fact be teaching more than one thing at once.

I think it is possible to interpret many things from parables. I doubt that because it can be interpreted in various ways that it was meant to represent each view as we see it. We can make what we want to of them and apply them to our own lives but I believe that Jesus knew specifics of what he was communicating. If we corrupt their meeting, even if they are consistent with our worldview-it does not mean that is what was intended when he rendered them. My children and I have a game we play when I tell a story, I ask for how it relates to them. Each of them are able to give reasons for their beliefs and tell me-“you told that story about me because…” In reality, the stories are often not about them.

That's cool Dr. T.

I believe Jesus was testifying of his divine mission as our Savior through the parable of the Good Samaritan. He often told things to his apostles that even they didn't get. But you certainly don't have to believe that. :)

One think to bear in mind when looking for the plain and simple truth in the bible, it quite possibly won't be there. 1 Nephi 13:24-29 An angel explains to Nephi how many plain and preciuos things where taken from the bible by the great and abominable church for there own purposes. Now if you have a church that, lets say for instance, taught celabacy as a higher order and had complete access or control over the written word of God, perhaps during the dark ages, would not that church then stand to gain from ommitting certain facts about marriage? That is not to say there are not still many references left that support the idea that Jesus was mrried. There are actually Biblical references that support what the angel told Nephi.

I do believe many of Christ's parables have more than one meaning, for those with eyes to see and ears to hear. I'll give one example I learned about a few years ago.

Take the parable of the Good Samaritan. All the figures and details in the parable not only teach about loving our neighbor, they also witness of Christ's role as our Savior. Let me briefly break the parable down to basics and explain what I mean. I'll assume we're all familiar with the parable, but if you need to brush up on it read Luke 10. Here we go.

(1) The man who left Jerusalem to go to Jericho: the man represents each of us who enter mortality.

(2) Jerusalem and Jericho: Jerusalem was the holiest city and capital of the Jewish kingdom; it is 2600 feet above seal level. It here represents heaven or the holy realm we inhabited in God's presence during our premortal existence. Jericho is 800 feet below sea level and was not considered a holy city. It here represents the fallen world we all inhabit.

(3) Going down from Jerusalem to Jericho: this symbolizes our birth into mortality; we leave the holy presence of God and literally descend into the fallen world we now live in.

(4) Falling among thieves, being robbed/beaten, left for dead: this represents the wages of sin, so to speak. As a result of the sins we will all commit in mortality, we lose our innocence and become spiritually dead to some degree. We need to be saved from the effects of sin as the man in the parable needed to be saved from the condition the thieves left him in.

(5) The priest who passes by the wounded man: the priests were descendants of Aaron, and served in the sanctuary as mediators between God and Israel. Jesus here teaches that the Law of Moses and Aaronic priesthood cannot save us from sin, symbolized by the priest not helping the wounded man.

(6) The Levite who passes by the wounded man: the Levites had less authority than priests, and did not have to be descendants of Aaron, just descendants of Levi. They assisted the priests with sacrifices and temple duties. Jesus here teaches that they cannot save us from sin either.

(6) The Samaritan: Samaritans were Israelites who were carried off into pagan lands by the kingdoms of Assyria and Babylon, and who later returned with the blessings of King Cyrus. They had married non-Jews during their captivity, and were seen as "half-Jews" because of their mixed blood. The Samaritan represents Jesus. Just as Samaritans were a mix of Jew and gentile, Jesus was part God and part mortal.

(7) The Samaritan rescuing the wounded man: the actions of the Samaritan in the parable are analogous to Christ's work as our Savior. He binds our wounds, anoints us with grace, heals us, and just as the Samaritan remedied the work of the thieves, Christ's atonement reverses the effects of sin for the repentant.

There is more that could be said about this message within the parable. My point is that the parable of the Ten Virgins and others may in fact be teaching more than one thing at once.

Dude.....all I can say is that is really, really awesome. I have never heard/learned that before. Very nice.