Why are you LDS?

M_T_E

Thank you MsMagnolia and Pam, you both cleared the air on that little misunderstanding of mine.

Ive learned quite a bit in the past several days so far, but seems I still have quite a bit to learn. Its always interesting when you begin to research something such as a religion and there is a seemingly limitless amount of things you can learn.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russian so far has been enjoyable, although tough. I have always been able to somewhat 'impersonate' the accent somewhat, but when it comes to rolling R's that gets a bit tough. I am hoping by years end for 2013 I will have become at least somewhat fluent to a degree.

It is the soft Rs that get me. I've been working on Russian since my mission at school, and I've had some practice, they are still hard. It is a beautiful language, though. I would love to go back.

I've learned quite a bit in the past several days so far, but seems I still have quite a bit to learn. Its always interesting when you begin to research something such as a religion and there is a seemingly limitless amount of things you can learn.

That is true without a doubt. You've got theology, doctrine, and past and present interpretations of theology and doctrine, then you've got practice and culture, which are also limitless and different depending on area of the world, etc. People are fascinating.

No since we are all brothers and sisters we call each other such. Such as I would be Sister ****** and my brother would be Brother *****. Elder is a title that we use for both male missionaries and for our general authorities (leaders) in the church.

You also see the term Elders used when referring to the members of an Elder's Quorum in a collective manner. For example, "Elders, we need volunteers to clean up after the ward party this Friday." That's not really use as a title though, it's just a recognition that the group being talked to consists of those who hold the office of Elder.

Edited by Dravin

M_T_E:

So nice to get some great questions/comments! They get a good thread rolling!

I am a convert (baptised when I was 12) fell away from living my religion when I was 16 (although I have always believed), repented and came back in my 30's. I'm now a bit older than that..lol.

I'm a member because I believe that the true teachings of Jesus Christ are found in this church. My trials are bearable because I know who I am (a child of God) and that I matter. And I know this because of the feelings I have from the Holy Ghost (3rd member of the Godhead, who testifies of truth). To me, my life would be empty and sad if I could not be uplifted by the Saviour.

Doesn't mean I live in a perpetual state of bliss (I mean come on), but for the most part I keep on keepin on because of my faith in a Heavenly Father who loves me & knows me personally.

I believe that Heavenly Father is THE master scientist. Despite what some may say, I think science and religion (faith) can go hand in hand.

I recently found a friend again that I knew who was raised in a LDS family, but fell away in high school. After she graduated she got more involved and married and sealed in the Temple. Learn something new everyday it seems!

From what I understand, you all celebrate the usual holidays, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, Ect. Are there any other holidays that are celebrated that are exclusive to the Religion?

And thanks. :) I like keeping one thread going rather than filling up a page with a million threads with different questions. You all have been very informative and helpful, more so than just browsing the web ever could be.

One would be Pioneer Day (July 24th). But it is probably celebrated more in Utah than any other place. This is the day that the first pioneers entered the Salt Lake Valley. It's actually a state holiday here.

And even when I was active in my religion, I was a firm believer of science as well. As a kid I always questioned things more than most my age.

I guess you can say one of the reasons why I have avoided religion is partially my faith based system was always against science. My church basically said dinosaurs didn't even exist.. Despite hard facts that are in museums.

Oakley has Pioneer Days. It lasts at least three days. Has a parade, rodeo, kids rodeo, matinee at the playhouse, speaker, dutch oven bake off, big breakfast by our local grocery store, pit barbeque lunch, programs and games for the kids, the Goose Creek Run, Dance in the park, very loud I must say living half a block away!, and others I have forgotten. Its a big deal here as you can tell! Oh and cant forget the big fireworks by the same family that did the Salt Lake Olympics display!

Another question about Temples, so I am aware there are different room within then that serve different purposes. I saw there was a Baptismal and Sealing room within the Portland Temple in the article presented here. But I also saw rooms such as the Celestial Room, can someone tell me more about the others and their purposes?

Another question about Temples, so I am aware there are different room within then that serve different purposes. I saw there was a Baptismal and Sealing room within the Portland Temple in the article presented here. But I also saw rooms such as the Celestial Room, can someone tell me more about the others and their purposes?

Click on the photo in the link to 'enter':

Inside the LDS Salt Lake Temple - LDS Temple Tour on Moroni's Unofficial Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Mormon History Page

Why are you a Mormon?

Were you born into a family that was Mormon or a convert?

How many of you have served missions? What was that experience like?

I was technically raised mormon. On my mom's side I'm 8th gen mormon...we go way back. But I would also say that my upbringing was probably not the typical mormon one. At least I'd say that when I was younger....ok I still would. I was raised by a single mom and then in a blended family when I was 9. My family is messy, entailing 4 people I consider parents (there are other people my siblings would consider parents that aren't my parents). 1 Born mormon, 2 converted mormon, and 1 not mormon. I have 10 half-siblings. There are 5-6 ehtnic/racial groups, in my immediate family. So I'm used to differences and from a young age was exposed to very different outlooks and circumstances. So, that's basically a long way of saying, no I'm not a convert from another faith....but I was kinda mostly sorta born into a mormon family...depending how you look at it.

Why I'm mormon?

Hmm. I think, for me, it's mostly about knowledge. I'm a curious person. Always have been. Always will be. I love to learn. And I feel that being LDS compliments this desire. I continue to learn and expand in my understanding about the Gospel. I love the simplicity that can expand to be complex. One of my first spiritual experiences was having a profound realization about heaven. I feel that my faith makes sense, that there's truly a balance between justice and mercy in eternity based on what is taught. I feel close to God from what I've learned and become through Him.

There's practical reasons: it's a great faith to raise a family and I want a family one day. I feel comfortable here. I like my faith community.

There's logical ones too: I believe the Book of Mormon is true. I believe in continuing revelation. I have strongly felt the veracity to a number of LDS-specific beliefs

But mostly it's that I continue to learn and grow and become better through it.

I served a mission, so I'll answer that to. I served in Philidelphia area and loved it. I owe so much to who I am today to serving. I've become a better, stronger, and healthier (emotionally/mentally) person. I can't say enough for how wonderful it was. It was also the most tiring and stretching time of my life. I was tired all the time....think of one the most tiring day you've had, where closing your eyes leaves you dreaming in seconds and there are physical symptoms (like migraines) to emphasize just how exhausted you are. And then stretch that out over 18 months. I was so tired that I got to the point where tired felt normal. And some experiences were necessarily painful. Especially the first half. I held on to a number of personal demons that I didn't even recognize until they were worked out....especially the 2 called sorrow and rage. It felt, in the moment, horrible, to experience these things that I'd buried because I didn't know what to do with them. But then I learned to be free from them and consistently learned the love of God for me in very personal and sacred ways. And in time, I found a complete and amazing peace with myself. I was so very free. Meanwhile I was serving and teaching others and learning so much from them.

So basically: Phenomenally amazing. A learning experience to say the least.

With luv,

BD

So, I am aware that in order to become LDS you have to be basically Baptised. Baptisms that you have recieved in other religions are not recognized with the church.

I am pretty sure that you are not baptized within a temple, being as you have to be Temple worthy just to enter. Where to the baptisms take place?

So, I am aware that in order to become LDS you have to be basically Baptised. Baptisms that you have recieved in other religions are not recognized with the church.

I am pretty sure that you are not baptized within a temple, being as you have to be Temple worthy just to enter. Where to the baptisms take place?

Some of the buildings have fonts in them, enough so, that in the US at least, while one may not be able to be baptized in the building they will attend one can be baptized in a building relatively nearby. Baring access to a font it can be done in any body of water deep enough for baptism by immersion. The fonts in the buildings are provided as a convenience, imagine wanting to be baptized in Alaska in the middle of January :eek:, and not out of doctrinal necessity that baptisms occur there.

This is of course talking about being baptized yourself, proxy baptisms for the deceased take place in the temple and are why temples have fonts.

Here is the current policy concerning the use of baptismal fonts (speaking of the kind in ward buildings) in case you are curious:

Baptismal Fonts

Missionaries coordinate their use of a baptismal font with the agent bishop or with another person designated by the stake presidency. The schedule for using a font should permit missionaries to baptize once a week or more often, if necessary. However, missionaries should not expect to use a font at unreasonable times. No charge is made for using a baptismal font.

A responsible adult should be present while the baptismal font is filling and remain until it is empty and secured. The font should be drained and cleaned immediately after each baptismal service. Appropriate safety precautions should be taken whenever water is in the font.

When the font is not in use, all doors to it should be closed and locked.

When a baptismal font is not available, any body of water that is safe may be used for a baptism if it is large enough to immerse the person and to permit the priesthood holder who performs the baptism to stand in the water with the person. Water is not dedicated for baptisms.

Link: Priesthood Ordinances and BlessingsÂ*

Edited by Dravin

Guest Thinker

Religion has often been something of interest to me in terms of a field to study in my free time. The vast differences in peoples beliefs has always kept my curiosity.

Hi MTE,

I also think religions are interesting & have explored a little of several.

Buddha taught that generally, we should stick with whatever religious beliefs we resonated most as a child - because that tends to be the way we learned to resonate spiritually.

Why are you a Mormon?

Were you born into a family that was Mormon or a convert?

Both of my parents were converts, but I was raised in the LDS church.

I suppose, that is the biggest reason why I am Mormon.

I realize that God and many church doctrines are not "literal" but I respect the spirit of them.

The other reasons I am still Mormon is because I enjoy the sense of community - it is a more convenient way to love & be loved (the gospel in action).

Also, I feel that (moderate) church affiliation is good for my kids.

I see that you consider yourself Agnostic.

What do you think or feel about spirituality?

What inspires you?

Hi MTE,

I also think religions are interesting & have explored a little of several.

Buddha taught that generally, we should stick with whatever religious beliefs we resonated most as a child - because that tends to be the way we learned to resonate spiritually.

Both of my parents were converts, but I was raised in the LDS church.

I suppose, that is the biggest reason why I am Mormon.

I realize that God and many church doctrines are not "literal" but I respect the spirit of them.

The other reasons I am still Mormon is because I enjoy the sense of community - it is a more convenient way to love & be loved (the gospel in action).

Also, I feel that (moderate) church affiliation is good for my kids.

I see that you consider yourself Agnostic.

What do you think or feel about spirituality?

What inspires you?

Beliefwise, I have always felt as though there was a higher power, a creator. However I have not been an actively religious individual for about 10+ years. Aside from joining in grace once in a blue moon when my sister is present for a family dinner, I haven't even joined in prayer in that period of time as well.

I was raised in a Christian Baptist setting, with the church services every Sunday and often the youth groups every Tuesday or Thursday. A prime example of the views of my church was their disagreements with "Science", although I am sure many of you understand the views I was brought up with as a kid.

They attempted to assure me that God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit were all one entity, however I have always believed that they were indeed separate. I was bored and took several 'belief tests' to see what religion my beliefs fell under, and every time I always fell under the LDS Church with my strongest. After alot of reading up on the Church, and many questions later I have found that I agree with alot of the beliefs this Church has.

At times in my life I have attempted to reject the idea of God, these were during my rebellious days. I claimed to be Atheist as well for a period of time, although I knew deep in my heart, and felt that there was a greater power.

I have never been Baptized, but i did 'receive God' and my spiritual birthday is in summer 2000.

When I was at the Portland Temple for the first time nearly a week ago, I felt an odd sense of calm and serenity, the Temple has a close proximity to I5 (Interstate Highway) yet despite the noise from the traffic you barely even notice when you enter the grounds. I have been told by several that the feeling was the Holy Spirit, and in a way I believe that to be true because that sense of serenity when I left the grounds stayed behind.

So basically, raised a Christian, believe in a higher power but have not been active with any faith in an extended period of time. I have been spiritual though during my absence.

Some of the buildings have fonts in them, enough so, that in the US at least, while one may not be able to be baptized in the building they will attend one can be baptized in a building relatively nearby. Baring access to a font it can be done in any body of water deep enough for baptism by immersion. The fonts in the buildings are provided as a convenience, imagine wanting to be baptized in Alaska in the middle of January :eek:, and not out of doctrinal necessity that baptisms occur there.

This is of course talking about being baptized yourself, proxy baptisms for the deceased take place in the temple and are why temples have fonts.

Here is the current policy concerning the use of baptismal fonts (speaking of the kind in ward buildings) in case you are curious:

Link: Priesthood Ordinances and BlessingsÂ*

Receiving a Baptism in Alaska doesn't sound very fun at all. :P I had a cousin get Baptized when I was younger, we drove about two hours to watch and be supportive. It was a sunny but cool Spring day, and well.. he got dunked in a freezing cold river. They asked if I wanted to and I gave them a big old "NOPE!".

At that age the idea of a man dunking me in water that I didnt know and well, freezing cold water wasn't very appealing either haha.

Receiving a Baptism in Alaska doesn't sound very fun at all. :P I had a cousin get Baptized when I was younger, we drove about two hours to watch and be supportive. It was a sunny but cool Spring day, and well.. he got dunked in a freezing cold river. They asked if I wanted to and I gave them a big old "NOPE!".

At that age the idea of a man dunking me in water that I didnt know and well, freezing cold water wasn't very appealing either haha.

My dad was baptized in a lake in Alaska during the winter. It had ice around the edges. I remember him telling me a few years later when we were talking about it...that he never felt the cold of the water during the baptism. It wasn't until it was over that he started shaking uncontrollably from the cold.

Officially finished with 1 Nephi 1 after reading it several times. Onward to Chapter 2 tomorrow.

And another question, when we are born they say two things are inevitable. Death and Taxes, when an Apostle or the Prophet passes on, what is the process to find a successor like?

My dad was baptized in a lake in Alaska during the winter. It had ice around the edges. I remember him telling me a few years later when we were talking about it...that he never felt the cold of the water during the baptism. It wasn't until it was over that he started shaking uncontrollably from the cold.

When I was baptized they had some sort of problem with the water in the baptismal font, I don't remember what went wrong but I do remember that the water was COLD! The cousin who baptized me said he wishes somebody had gotten a picture of my face when I first stepped into the water, from what people have told me I looked quite horrified.

When I was baptized they had some sort of problem with the water in the baptismal font, I don't remember what went wrong but I do remember that the water was COLD! The cousin who baptized me said he wishes somebody had gotten a picture of my face when I first stepped into the water, from what people have told me I looked quite horrified.

Hehe, that was my oldest son's experience. The heater didn't work in the font, and when I stepped in the water was easily 65 degrees or colder.

Yes, his face when first stepping in was similar :)

Officially finished with 1 Nephi 1 after reading it several times. Onward to Chapter 2 tomorrow.

And another question, when we are born they say two things are inevitable. Death and Taxes, when an Apostle or the Prophet passes on, what is the process to find a successor like?

The Church has a President and 2 Counsellors. These 3 are called the First Presidency. Then there's the 12 Apostles that work the same as the 12 Apostles of Jesus' time to make policies, clarify doctrine, receive revelation for the entire Church, etc. One of the 12 Apostles is called to be the President of the Quorom of 12 Apostles. This is usually done by seniority (not who is the oldest in age but who has been in the quorum of the twelve apostles the longest).

When the President of the Church dies, the First Presidency is dissolved and the 2 counsellors become part of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles (it would be quorom of 14, temporarily), then they all pray over who gets to serve as the next President of the Church and they submit a name. The decision needs to be a unanimous one. For the last few decades, the person called to serve as the President has been the President of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles (who has the most seniority). So then the new President calls 2 members of the Quorum to be his Counsellors and the Quorum of the 12 calls the next President of the Quorum of the 12. A new apostle is also called to serve in the Quorom of the 12 Apostles.

Then the new callings are sent to the Bishops who would then ask every LDS member for a sustaining vote. Any objections (I've never heard of one since my in-laws were alive) are discussed by the Bishop and if it is a valid objection it goes up to the First Presidency to decide if the person needs to be released.

Now, all 15 men are called Prophets, Seers, and Revelators. But, usually, when we say Prophet, we mean the President of the Church.