Why are you LDS?

M_T_E

Just a thought to what Anatess said...with President Packer being the senior Apostle..I wonder if with his health he would even be able to take on the role of Prophet if something were to happen to President Monson.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was baptized they had some sort of problem with the water in the baptismal font, I don't remember what went wrong but I do remember that the water was COLD! The cousin who baptized me said he wishes somebody had gotten a picture of my face when I first stepped into the water, from what people have told me I looked quite horrified.

I can imagine it just like the polar bear plunge we did in Boy Scouts when we did our winter camping trips, jumping into near frozen water for a merit badge was quite the challenge... And kind of horrific too haha

I can imagine it just like the polar bear plunge we did in Boy Scouts when we did our winter camping trips, jumping into near frozen water for a merit badge was quite the challenge... And kind of horrific too haha

My oldest son got baptized in the Atlantic Ocean while a hurricane was brewing out to sea. The waves were gigantic, so my husband held my son, said the baptismal prayer, my son bent his knees and the wave went over the both of them including the witness. I would think they would be horrified but they all thought it was cool. Boys.

My oldest son got baptized in the Atlantic Ocean while a hurricane was brewing out to sea. The waves were gigantic, so my husband held my son, said the baptismal prayer, my son bent his knees and the wave went over the both of them including the witness. I would think they would be horrified but they all thought it was cool. Boys.

As a guy, I would admit that has to be a pretty awesome way to get baptized. :D

Okay I'm being nit-picky. :) But you did mean witnesses right?

I've just been reading everyone else's posts but what the heck, I'll post something. :)

I'm a member because I was born in the church. My family was in and out of church but my grandmother has always been active and she took us kids to church every Sunday. I remember being in primary and how much fun it was. I also loved young women's. When we moved states away from my grandmother, it became harder. My parents stayed just active enough to where we were mostly kept in church. I feel lucky that I got to experience camp and youth conference. Those are some wonderful memories. I wish I could rewind the time and take my husband with me to experience youth conference.

As an adult I kind of "fell away" from the church. My husband and I didn't go to church for about 5 years but then after we had our son, we felt like we should go back. Our hearts weren't really into it though and it only lasted a couple of months before we stopped. Now we've come back but we both feel completely different this time. It feels good and right. Every week I feel like I'm waiting for Sunday. :)

So I'm LDS because I was born into it but I'm still LDS because I do love it. I believe in the Book of Mormon and I believe in the teachings of the church. I have felt the spirit in the temple and I've felt the spirit in Nauvoo. I know that just within the last few weeks that we've been back, our family has seemed closer and happier. My husband and I have always had a great, loving relationship but it seems like there's a peace now in our home. We've had more patience with each other and our kids. I've noticed little positive changes in how I think and act too.

I want my children to grow up in the church and have the experiences that I've had.

My husband is LDS because I told him to! Lol. I told him while we were dating that we could never be serious because I was only going to marry another Mormon. So he said "ok, I'll be Mormon.". I just told him to start meeting with the missionaries and see how he felt. After the first meeting he wanted to be baptized and I said no. After the second meeting he wanted to be baptized and I said no. I told him that I wanted him to be sure and I knew he was just doing it for me. After several meetings him and the missionaries said a prayer and during the prayer my husband said he suddenly felt a warm tingly sensation and he knew that he wanted to be baptized. Unfortunately just a few months after he joined the church, we got married and became inactive.

It is really awesome to watch him grow in the church now though.

As a guy, I would admit that has to be a pretty awesome way to get baptized. :D

I have to second this. That would be awesome.

Fortunately, I felt really at peace that day. Otherwise, I would have fainted on the beach thinking for sure half my family is going to get washed out and end up in England. I tried to move the baptism but my non-LDS family already took vacation days to attend - which is a miracle on its own since they would never show up on an LDS-anything.

That's the story of my life. The husband and 2 sons egging each other on the most idiotic ideas while I try not to get a heartattack.

Okay I'm being nit-picky. :) But you did mean witnesses right?

Yep. Witnesses - uncle and grampa.

Edited by anatess

The Church has a President and 2 Counsellors. These 3 are called the First Presidency. Then there's the 12 Apostles that work the same as the 12 Apostles of Jesus' time to make policies, clarify doctrine, receive revelation for the entire Church, etc. One of the 12 Apostles is called to be the President of the Quorom of 12 Apostles. This is usually done by seniority (not who is the oldest in age but who has been in the quorum of the twelve apostles the longest).

When the President of the Church dies, the First Presidency is dissolved and the 2 counsellors become part of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles (it would be quorom of 14, temporarily), then they all pray over who gets to serve as the next President of the Church and they submit a name. The decision needs to be a unanimous one. For the last few decades, the person called to serve as the President has been the President of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles (who has the most seniority). So then the new President calls 2 members of the Quorum to be his Counsellors and the Quorum of the 12 calls the next President of the Quorum of the 12. A new apostle is also called to serve in the Quorom of the 12 Apostles.

Then the new callings are sent to the Bishops who would then ask every LDS member for a sustaining vote. Any objections (I've never heard of one since my in-laws were alive) are discussed by the Bishop and if it is a valid objection it goes up to the First Presidency to decide if the person needs to be released.

Now, all 15 men are called Prophets, Seers, and Revelators. But, usually, when we say Prophet, we mean the President of the Church.

To clarify, it has always been the most senior apostle who became the next president. And, although he is called by prophecy, the church is a house of order, and it would be highly unusual for the senior apostle to not become the president of the church. So, we have a line of succession and there are no real surprises as there are in other churches. I think it also makes it so no one covets the position or lobbies for acceptance.

When the President of the Church dies, the First Presidency is dissolved and the 2 counsellors become part of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles (it would be quorom of 14, temporarily), then they all pray over who gets to serve as the next President of the Church and they submit a name. The decision needs to be a unanimous one. For the last few decades, the person called to serve as the President has been the President of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles (who has the most seniority).

To be clear: The senior apostle is always the man called as the president of the Church, without exception. My understanding of the procedure is as follows:

Upon the death of the current president, the First Presidency is dissolved, the counselors take their place in the Quorum of Twelve according to their seniority (which now functions as the leading quorum of the Church), and the senior apostle, as the leader of the leading quorum (and thus the leader of the Church) calls the quorum together. According to Western legal tradition, the senior apostle is nominated as the president of the Church (I believe this is even seconded, as in Robert's Rules of Order, though Robert's is not strictly followed in general). Each quorum member provides his feelings on the matter, and then a vote is taken. The senior apostle, having thus been selected as the president, sits in the midst of his fellow apostles, all of whom place their hands on his head, and the second-senior of whom acts as voice in ordaining the senior apostle as president of the Church. The president then selects and ordains his counselors, thus re-establishing the First Presidency as the leading quorum of the Church.

The second-senior apostle is then set apart as the president of the Quorum of Twelve; if the second-senior apostle is a counselor in the First Presidency, the most senior apostle who is not in the First Presidency is called and set apart as the acting president of the Quorum of Twelve.

I apologize for the lack activity, life tends to keep me on awkward and random schedules that change on a dime these days! When I am not on my phone I usually use public wifi, though at this point I am considering using internet from home again because of my studies.

Another question, what if supposedly the President was to pass away unexpectedly, and the next in line to fill in at that point was a bit frail and ones ability to take over was in question. How would that effect the process?

And also, from what I drew from 1 Nephi 1 and 1 Nephi 2 was two underlying messages. One, that you are in fact blessed in this life, regardless of what trials and hardships you face throughout your life. After all, I have always believed you have the downs in life so you can always truly enjoy the ups. And Two, to be courageous and represent God regardless of whatever persecution and ridicule you receive from others. I can imagine it also serves as a very motivational message for Mormons, given your history of basically being shunned by society long ago, and in a way still to this day.

Any thoughts on what I concluded? :P

Another question for those of you who served missions.

What was your overall experience like? What were the difficulties that you had? The good experiences? And how many people did you help convert?

Beyond going around and preaching the gospel, what other activities did you do? I have seen Missionaries often help with humanitarian work as well?

Any thoughts on what I concluded? :P

That is a very good understanding for your first time reading it.

1 Nephi 3:7 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

This verse has powerful implications, which Nephi experienced throughout his journey. One of the most important lessons that the Spirit has taught me, as it taught Nephi, is that obedience is always the correct decision. And it always brings more happiness (in spite of our trials).

Another question, what if supposedly the President was to pass away unexpectedly, and the next in line to fill in at that point was a bit frail and ones ability to take over was in question. How would that effect the process?

It wouldn't. The senior apostle is always the leader of the quorum, and thus always the next President of the Church.

If the senior apostle were literally incapable of mentally functioning in the position, there might be an established (though never-used) provision for making him an "emeritus" apostle or otherwise "retiring" him from the quorum. I don't know; I'm just speculating.

I'm a convert, I joined the church after having a spiritual experience there. I went to church one day to fulfill a requirement for a comparative religions class I was taking (we had to go to a church service of a denomination we had never been to before), I felt the Spirit (rocked my world, I had NO idea that the Spirit was real, I thought everyone was just being poetic or something when they talked about feeling the Spirit, little did I know... ) here I am, 10 years later, it's been a good 10 years.

I never served a mission, I hope to when I am old and retired though.

Comparative religion class? Sounds like a very interesting course. I was mostly driven to learn about religions because I found the vast differences in beliefs to be very interesting. Especially someone is very dedicated and firmly believes.

Alot of my friends in my high school years were the typical "I am a Christian" for a month then right back to smoking weed and being low life's, so I didn't have alot of dedication around me. When they would get on their kicks I would often quiz them on things and well they were usually dumbfounded and had no answers...

Apparently the at peace feeling I have experienced now twice while on Temple grounds is the Holy Spirit. I took my girlfriend out to see the Portland Temple yesterday, we also visited a Catholic Garden and Buddhist "Shrine". This time though that feeling lasted for a bit after leaving Temple grounds. Got better photographs this time though. :P

It wouldn't. The senior apostle is always the leader of the quorum, and thus always the next President of the Church.

If the senior apostle were literally incapable of mentally functioning in the position, there might be an established (though never-used) provision for making him an "emeritus" apostle or otherwise "retiring" him from the quorum. I don't know; I'm just speculating.

I looked more into the former Prophets and for some reason I had believed they all had taken on long terms before passing on, but I was wrong. Howard W. Hunter was among the shorter termed ones.

That is a very good understanding for your first time reading it.

1 Nephi 3:7 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

This verse has powerful implications, which Nephi experienced throughout his journey. One of the most important lessons that the Spirit has taught me, as it taught Nephi, is that obedience is always the correct decision. And it always brings more happiness (in spite of our trials).

At this point I have read 1 Nephi 1 - 1 Nephi 10 several times over, going to likely continue forward several chapters tonight since I have a few hours to myself at my place. But I can see that in every chapter so far there seems to be one or two lessons involved.

I looked more into the former Prophets and for some reason I had believed they all had taken on long terms before passing on, but I was wrong. Howard W. Hunter was among the shorter termed ones.

Within my lifetime, I have seen three with very short terms. President Hunter was the latest, and also the shortest. After President David O. McKay's death, he was succeeded by President Joseph Fielding Smith, who presided for only two and a half years before he died and was succeeded by President Harold B. Lee. President Lee died quite suddenly and unexpectedly after only a year and a half, leaving a sick, cancerous, feeble old man in ill health as president. Spencer W. Kimball proceeded to lead the Church with great power and foresight for over a decade. Go figure.

As I read this book more and more a part of me feels deep down that I have already read all of this scripture in the past, despite the fact that I have never laid eyes upon the contents of this book until I first received it in late December.

It's a bit odd of a feeling, not sure where itll lead me. Seems as though there are many lessons to learn from this book.