Marriage and the Afterlife

Apple_Acres

I've always heard that the LDS church believes in marriage lasting into the afterlife. Is this correct? What are good resources to learn more about this? From what I understand the LDS faith is one of the only churches that teaches that doctrine, unless I'm mistaken. My next question would be how does that belief of a marriage continued into the next life relate to these verses from Luke and Mark... (I ask this sincerely, I have always been very curious about the dynamics of the afterlife, if that makes sense)

Mark 12:25

For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven.

Luke 20:34-36

And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage:

But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:

Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT: this is for your second question I will post on your first one in a minute. (or others will :) )

Usually I would write my own answer. But this is a common question and will post a published article that answers it in the Church's Ensign. Please ask more questions if it doesn't make sense. To understand the entire answer you will need to be partially aware of what we believe about the where we came from before we lived in mortality, why we are here, and where do we go when we die.

I will be happy to answer anything that doesn't make sense. You can post your comments as you read the article. :D

Feb 1986: I Have A Question

Inasmuch as Latter-day Saints believe in marriage for eternity, how do we explain Jesus’ teachings in Matthew 22:29–30?

David H. Yarn, Jr., emeritus professor of philosophy and instructor of religion, Brigham Young University. These two verses are part of a larger context which commences with verse 23, as follows:

“The same day came to him the Sadducees, which say that there is no resurrection, and asked him,

“Saying, Master, Moses said, If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother.

“Now there were with us seven brethren: and the first, when he had married a wife, deceased, and, having no issue, left his wife unto his brother:

“Likewise the second also, and the third, unto the seventh.

“And last of all the woman died also.

“Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her.

“Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

“For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.” (Matt. 22:23–30.)

To understand these verses, we need to understand the context in which the Sadducees asked their question and the context in which Jesus answered it.

First, it should be emphasized that this is a hypothetical situation presented to the Lord by the Sadducees, who, as the scripture itself asserts, did not even believe in the resurrection. They were simply doing what both they and the Pharisees so often did—asking the Lord questions simply to bait him, to see if they could catch him contradicting what Moses, the great Lawgiver, had said.

The question itself was based upon the teachings of Moses: “If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother.” (Matt. 22:24; see also Deut. 25:5–10.) In the hypothetical case suggested by the Sadducees, in which seven brothers each had been married to a woman in turn, the question was, “In the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven?”

According to Dummelow’s A Commentary on The Holy Bible, “The point raised by the Sadducees was often debated by the Jewish doctors, who decided that a ‘woman who married two husbands in this world is restored to the first in the next.’” (New York: The Macmillan Company, 1927, p. 698.) Most Jews at the time believed in a material resurrection, and so the question had some importance to them. (Ibid.)

On the other hand, although the Sadducees didn’t believe in the resurrection, they were more than happy to use it to try to “bring Jesus into contempt and ridicule with the multitude by asking Him a question which they thought He could not answer.” (Ibid., p. 697.)

But Jesus did answer them, and he began with a mild rebuke: “Ye do err,” he said, “not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.” Consider the handicap the Sadducees had placed upon themselves. They did not really understand the scriptures—and probably had no wish to do so on this point. They were steeped in false doctrine, and without the gift of the Holy Ghost had no access to the revelatory power of the Spirit. The Savior’s answer, therefore, was not a full doctrinal explanation of the doctrine of eternal marriage. Instead, he quickly defused their argument and then testified of the resurrection using the scriptures that the Sadducees held most sacred.

The Savior effectively dismissed their question on marriage by stating that “in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.” In that way, the Savior turned to the more fundamental issue of the Sadducee’s disbelief in resurrection. Of the resurrection, the Savior bore certain testimony:

“But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying,

“I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.” (Matt. 22:31–32.)

At this point, the Sadducees were silenced. In Mark’s account of the episode, the Lord adds, “Ye therefore do greatly err.” (Mark 12:27.) The Savior had made their error painfully clear by referring to the Law—Exodus 6:3 [Ex. 6:3]—for support. The Law was considered by all Jews, Sadducees included, as the highest authority in the canon of scripture. They couldn’t very well argue with the scriptures they held in highest esteem.

What, then, do we make of the Savior’s statement that “in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage?”

First, we see that it was made in response to an attempt by the Sadducees to trap the Lord. Consequently, it would not have been the Lord’s final word on the subject. Why should the Lord scatter pearls before them that they would only trample underfoot? (See Matt. 7:6.) They were no more prepared to listen to a discourse on eternal marriage than they were prepared to accept the reality of the resurrection.

Second, the Lord did not say there would be no people in the married state in the resurrection, but that there would be no marriages made in the resurrection.

Third, we must be clear about the “they” who are neither marrying nor being given in marriage. The context of the scriptures just cited suggests a generic rather than a specific meaning. Simply put, that means no marriages are made in the resurrection. The Lord was warning the Sadducees. They were Jews of the day who had rejected him and therefore had no access to the higher ordinances of the Melchizedek Priesthood. How could these men, whom Jesus had called a “generation of vipers” (Matt. 3:7), qualify for the highest blessings of the celestial kingdom?

What the Savior declared of the Sadducees who would later have part in his death is hardly applicable to his Saints who, through the ordinances of the priesthood and their righteousness, qualify for exaltation in the celestial kingdom, which the Lord equates with eternal marriage. (See D&C 132:19–24.)

The Savior made statements on other occasions that support the idea of eternal marriage. To the Pharisees, who at least believed in the resurrection, he said: “Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

“And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

“Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.” (Matt. 19:4–7; italics added.)

The marriage of Adam and Eve, performed prior to the Fall, was certainly done in an eternal context (see Gen. 2:18–24), and the authority to bind on earth and in heaven was given to Peter and the other Apostles. (See Matt. 16:19; Matt. 18:18.)

Although this authority was lost with the priesthood through apostasy, it has been restored in our day. The Lord’s promise is that those marriages performed by his authority and “sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, by him who is anointed, unto whom I have appointed this power and the keys of this priesthood” (D&C 132:19) shall endure forever.

Edited by ElectofGod

Here are a few resources on Eternal Marriage. As a reminder, Marriages are "till death due us part", A sealing is "for time and all eternity". We seal in the temples of God (similar to the temples in the bible). Normally people also get married at the same time in the temple but they are separate. Marriage is defined by the state law's of the land. Sealing is according to the laws of heaven. In order to be married into the next life we must be sealed together as a family through the power and authority of God (priesthood).

Here are two sources. I will find many many more if you want :D, or answer anything.

Eternal Marriage: Gospel Principles Book

Eternal Marriage: General Conference Talk

Thanks for the great response! That's certainly quite a bit to think about, not to mention a different way to look at it. :)

I've always viewed/been taught that marriage is a mortal and temporary institution that we experience in this life, and that while we are together with loved ones in the next, that the focus has shifted from each other to God, and that, because we will not have physical bodies, nor Earthly desires, we will not have need for ideas/concepts such as marriage.

This raises a couple of questions for me then.

If a sealing is eternal, what about all those who were never LDS who were married in this life? Will they be separated from their spouse?

(I've learned that the LDS church believes in different tiers of Heaven, per se, kingdoms of glory, I believe?) It seems that for an individual to reach the highest levels of Heaven one has to be married, if able?

^If the above question is yes, then what if a person does not find love in this life, or they would prefer to pursue other interests and choose not to marry? Will they be unable to reach the highest levels of glory?

Haha, I apologize about all the questions.

If a sealing is eternal, what about all those who were never LDS who were married in this life? Will they be separated from their spouse?

One of the reasons we have temples is so all ordinances that need to be done in mortality can be done for those who have died.

The following link will take you an explanation of the 3 Degrees of Glory:

Three Degrees of Glory | The Mormon Channel Q&A

Edited by applepansy

Thanks for the great response! That's certainly quite a bit to think about, not to mention a different way to look at it. :)

I've always viewed/been taught that marriage is a mortal and temporary institution that we experience in this life, and that while we are together with loved ones in the next, that the focus has shifted from each other to God, and that, because we will not have physical bodies, nor Earthly desires, we will not have need for ideas/concepts such as marriage.

This raises a couple of questions for me then.

No! Only if they do not accept the Gospel of Jesus Christ in the next life. This is why the LDS church does vicarious baptisms and sealings in the temple. I posted on this below.

(I've learned that the LDS church believes in different tiers of Heaven, per se, kingdoms of glory, I believe?) It seems that for an individual to reach the highest levels of Heaven one has to be married, if able?

Yes. But as mentioned above, anyone who is unable who would have done so if able to will have an opportunity to do so in the next life. I will expand on this below.

^If the above question is yes, then what if a person does not find love in this life, or they would prefer to pursue other interests and choose not to marry? Will they be unable to reach the highest levels of glory?

Depends. Its a good thing Christ is the judge because he is the perfect judge. I am not :). You brought up two things here. It will be answered with the others below.

Haha, I apologize about all the questions.

Its totally fine! I answered some in red above.

Through the prophet Joseph Smith we have these answers, who is just a man like moses, abraham, noah. They are just men who teach of Christ. They do not save but They point to Christ and teach us about Christ who saves us. That is part of their mission. It was revealed that all men or women who die, are to be baptized, sealed to their families, and other ordinances. So will they be damned? No. This is why the church does vicarious work for the dead. Or sometimes called baptisms for the dead. We don't baptize dead people. I would go into the temple, and be baptized in BEHALF of the dead person. So I would represent the dead person. Make sense?

1 Corinthians 15:29 Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?

Now that answers the question on all those who die and have not received it. We do it for them! :D

Now to clarify further.

Children Who Die Receive a Celestial Glory and any person has an opportunity to do so as well:

The Prophet Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon saw a vision in which they saw the three degrees of glory and outer darkness (hell). In this vision they "beheld that all children who die before they arrive at the years of accountability (8 years old) are saved in the celestial kingdom of heaven" (D&C 137:10). The voice of the Lord also came unto them and said:

"All who have died without a knowledge of this gospel, who would have received it if they had been permitted to tarry, shall be heirs of the celestial kingdom of God;

"Also all that shall die henceforth without a knowledge of it, who would have received it with all their hearts, shall be heirs of that kingdom;

"For I, the Lord, will judge all men according to their works, according to the desire of their hearts" (D&C 137:7-9.)

God is a just God and so those who die without a knowledge of Christ (and his Gospel) but would have accepted Him will receive the highest degree of glory within the Celestial Kingdom. Those who did not have the opportunity to be married (sealed in the temple) but would have if they could will also have this opportunity given to them.

Note here that you could ask than. What does it mean to have an opportunity to receive it? I am not entirely sure here. But you could pray and ask for an answer. I will re-quote one verse to answer it though. "For I, the Lord, will judge all men according to their works, according to the desire of their hearts". We do not know what anyones desire is.

If they are putting marriage off because of other interests it depends. Has the person had knowledge of Christ? of his Gospel? Have they been baptized in his name? If so, they will be sinning because they understand what has been taught and under covenant to God to have a family. If they have never heard about Christ they will have an EQUAL opportunity to do so in the Spirit World.

What is the Spirit World? What happens to us when we die?

In the book of Mormon it states the purpose of this life:

Alma 34:32 For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors.

33 And now, as I said unto you before, as ye have had so many witnesses, therefore, I beseech of you that ye do not procrastinate the day of your repentance until the end; for after this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, behold, if we do not improve our time while in this life, then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed.

34 Ye cannot say, when ye are brought to that awful crisis, that I will repent, that I will return to my God. Nay, ye cannot say this; for that same spirit which doth possess your bodies at the time that ye go out of this life, that same spirit will have power to possess your body in that eternal world.

Than in Alma 40 it states what happens to the body. This actually helps clarify you very first question.

11 Now, concerning the state of the soul between death and the resurrection—Behold, it has been made known unto me by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life.

12 And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow.

13 And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of the wicked, yea, who are evil—for behold, they have no part nor portion of the Spirit of the Lord; for behold, they chose evil works rather than good; therefore the spirit of the devil did enter into them, and take possession of their house—and these shall be cast out into outer darkness; there shall be weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth, and this because of their own iniquity, being led captive by the will of the devil.

14 Now this is the state of the souls of the wicked, yea, in darkness, and a state of awful, fearful looking for the fiery indignation of the wrath of God upon them; thus they remain in this estate, as well as the righteous in paradise, until the time of their resurrection.

In this spirit world there will be angels who teach the souls of ALL who die about Jesus Christ. They will have opportunities to accept it for themself.

Isn't this a loving God? Giving everyone an equal opportunity? Puts a different perspective doesn't it?

Sorry long response :D You should read the Book of Mormon if you are not :D. I will freely answer all questions though.

Edited by ElectofGod

I think you need to understand that LDS believe very much in a physical resurrection albeit in a perfect form, and that our relationships and personalities go with us in the next life. I always find it odd when I hear that some Christians don't believe we will have physical bodies or Earthly desires (I would have said human emotions). I just see too much Biblical evidence to believe that, so it's hard for me to understand.

Wow! That IS a long reply! :D

It's definitely a lot to think on... and I certainly love seeing things from a different perspective!

If so, they will be sinning because they understand what has been taught and under covenant to God to have a family.

Any good scriptures from the Old/New Testaments about covenants regarding the need to be married/have a family that you would suggest?

You should read the Book of Mormon if you are not

I did read the Book of Mormon once, though I feel like I remember very little of it. I am technically Mormon, but I quit attending regularly at the age of 11 and have attended very little since, which is why I am unfamiliar with more in depth doctrine such as this.

One of the reasons we have temples is so all ordinances that need to be done in mortality can be done for those who have died.

The following link will take you an explanation of the 3 Degrees of Glory:

Three Degrees of Glory | The Mormon Channel Q&A

Thanks! That helps a lot! :)

I think you need to understand that LDS believe very much in a physical resurrection albeit in a perfect form, and that our relationships and personalities go with us in the next life. I always find it odd when I hear that some Christians don't believe we will have physical bodies or Earthly desires (I would have said human emotions). I just see too much Biblical evidence to believe that, so it's hard for me to understand.

That's completely fair too. I found it odd when I learned that the LDS faith viewed resurrection this way, mainly because it was unfamiliar to myself. This isn't to say I think it's wrong, or negative, but simply a different belief. I'm glad I could be edified on the subject from somebody else's viewpoint. :)

If temple work hasn't been done, then most Mormons would tell you that yes, they will (in other words, they exist in more or less the same state as I understand mainline Christians believe we will in the Resurrection--separately and singly).

However, I personally (as a practicing Mormon) don't interpret LDS doctrine this way. In 1 Corinthians 15 (the Biblical passage that Mormons point to for support of the notion of degrees of heaven), Paul is specifically talking about bodies (i.e. resurrected, human bodies) celestial and terrestrial. In other words, the "degree of glory" isn't where you are; it's what you are.

To use a potentially-sacrilegious sports analogy: It isn't that some people are resurrected and go to a baseball diamond and other people are resurrected and go to a football field. It's that some people are resurrected as baseball players, and other people are resurrected as football players.

For that reason, I don't think any physical separation between the Celestial, Terrestrial, and Telestial beings would necessarily be inviolable--i.e., that people in different kingdoms would never see each other again. I disagree with that idea. We are taught that a member of a lower kingdom cannot endure the glory of a member of a higher kingdom; but we also know that it is possible for members of a higher kingdom to somehow make themselves so that lesser beings can endure their presence. (For example, Jesus--as a resurrected being--was able to walk on the road to Emmaus with two disciples who had no clue of His divine nature.)

Indeed, I think the idea of eternal and permanent physical separations violates our own scripture. From Doctrine and Covenants 130:1-2:

When the Savior shall appear we shall see him as he is. We shall see that he is a man like ourselves.

And that same sociality which exists among us here will exist among us there, only it will be coupled with eternal glory, which glory we do not now enjoy.

Yes; the "highest level of Heaven" involves basically being like God--creating a world, and creating people to live on them. We believe it takes a male and a female to create life. (And yes, we believe God is married and that we all have a Heavenly Mother.)

The teachings of the LDS Church leadership to date have essentially been that if a deceased single person sincerely wanted marriage but no opportunities presented themselves, no eternal blessing otherwise available would be denied to that individual. We do not know specifically how this would be possible.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

If temple work hasn't been done, then most Mormons would tell you that yes, they will (in other words, they exist in more or less the same state as I understand mainline Christians believe we will in the Resurrection--separately and singly).

However, I personally (as a practicing Mormon) don't interpret LDS doctrine this way. In 1 Corinthians 15 (the Biblical passage that Mormons point to for support of the notion of degrees of heaven), Paul is specifically talking about bodies (i.e. resurrected, human bodies) celestial and terrestrial. In other words, the "degree of glory" isn't where you are; it's what you are.

To use a potentially-sacrilegious sports analogy: It isn't that some people are resurrected and go to a baseball diamond and other people are resurrected and go to a football field. It's that some people are resurrected as baseball players, and other people are resurrected as football players.

For that reason, I don't think any physical separation between the Celestial, Terrestrial, and Telestial beings would necessarily be inviolable--i.e., that people in different kingdoms would never see each other again. I disagree with that idea. We are taught that a member of a lower kingdom cannot endure the glory of a member of a higher kingdom; but we also know that it is possible for members of a higher kingdom to somehow make themselves so that lesser beings can endure their presence. (For example, Jesus--as a resurrected being--was able to walk on the road to Emmaus with two disciples who had no clue of His divine nature.)

Indeed, I think the idea of eternal and permanent physical separations violates our own scripture. From Doctrine and Covenants 130:1-2:

Yes; the "highest level of Heaven" involves basically being like God--creating a world, and creating people to live on them. We believe it takes a male and a female to create life. (And yes, we believe God is married and that we all have a Heavenly Mother.)

The teachings of the LDS Church leadership to date have essentially been that if a deceased single person sincerely wanted marriage but no opportunities presented themselves, no eternal blessing otherwise available would be denied to that individual. We do not know specifically how this would be possible.

:D love the sports analogy!

That is certainly more food for thought!

The one thing that I seem to have trouble with is the idea I would need to be married. While I admit I am young-ish, so far in life I have no desire to be married. There are many other goals and passions I want to pursue that I worry marriage might interrupt. But I digress, that is neither here nor there, and apologize for that, it's just why I'm curious about the situation of a single person not marrying.

That's completely fair too. I found it odd when I learned that the LDS faith viewed resurrection this way, mainly because it was unfamiliar to myself. This isn't to say I think it's wrong, or negative, but simply a different belief. I'm glad I could be edified on the subject from somebody else's viewpoint. :)

I absolutely agree. I think it's so important to understand each others beliefs. Your explaining why you find the concept of eternal marriage in the context of how you see the afterlife makes me understand so much more where you are coming from.

Now to answer your question on scriptures to look at. I always go to my handy dandy LDS Scriptural Topical Guide:

Marriage, Celestial

I absolutely agree. I think it's so important to understand each others beliefs. Your explaining why you find the concept of eternal marriage in the context of how you see the afterlife makes me understand so much more where you are coming from.

Now to answer your question on scriptures to look at. I always go to my handy dandy LDS Scriptural Topical Guide:

Marriage, Celestial

I'm glad to hear that! Sometimes I worry how a question or thought may come across, so I'm relieved you understand. :)

I took a brief look at those and I am book marking them to study!

:D love the sports analogy!

That is certainly more food for thought!

The one thing that I seem to have trouble with is the idea I would need to be married. While I admit I am young-ish, so far in life I have no desire to be married. There are many other goals and passions I want to pursue that I worry marriage might interrupt. But I digress, that is neither here nor there, and apologize for that, it's just why I'm curious about the situation of a single person not marrying.

You don't need to get married. You don't need to be baptized. But, when you covenant with God, you receive additional blessings. Baptism opens a gate to further blessings. Marriage opens the gate to additional blessings as well. There are various bible verses that praise the benefits of having a spouse and children. So, it really depends on what blessings you want. Maybe the search should be about God's covenants (and in this context the covenant with Abraham) and blessings and how that works in your life.

Wow! That IS a long reply! :D

It's definitely a lot to think on... and I certainly love seeing things from a different perspective!

I did read the Book of Mormon once, though I feel like I remember very little of it. I am technically Mormon, but I quit attending regularly at the age of 11 and have attended very little since, which is why I am unfamiliar with more in depth doctrine such as this.

Thanks! That helps a lot! :)

There are lots of different perspectives. My favorite quote by Joseph Smith: "It does not prove a man is a bad person because he err's in doctrine" (paraphrasing). There is truth and there is deception by Satan of that Truth. The purpose of the holy Ghost, which you have if you were baptized and received Holy Ghost, is to show you what is truth what isn't. Everyone is growing in that truth until the "perfect day". You can too as you search sincerely. I would ask you to pray, read, and ask for a witness by the holy spirit. It will show you the truth of all things. Even if its not found in the bible, book of mormon, or doctrine and covenants.

I just write that as a reminder. Seek, knock, it shall be opened unto you. You are currently seeking. :)

Any good scriptures from the Old/New Testaments about covenants regarding the need to be married/have a family that you would suggest?

Easier to use the book of mormon/Doctrine and Covenants ;). Why the bible :P I will paste a few below. There are many more.

EDIT: the person abovve quoted these I think already.

Ephesians 5:25-29

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her; that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she should be holy and blameless. So husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies. He who loves his own wife loves himself; for no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ also does the church,

1 Peter 3:1-6

In the same way, you wives, be submissive to your own husbands so that even if any of them are disobedient to the word, they may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives, as they observe your chaste and respectful behavior. And let not your adornment be merely external-- braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God. For in this way in former times the holy women also, who hoped in God, used to adorn themselves, being submissive to their own husbands. Thus Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord, and you have become her children if you do what is right without being frightened by any fear.

-Entire story of Adam and Eve. Why were they commanded to "multiply and replinish the earth"? The scripture is quoted above in one of my posts or links lol.

1 Corinthians 7:

39 The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.

Psalm 127:3

Children are an heritage of the Lord.

Family Proclamation to the World: Testimony of the Living prophets on Families

Edited by ElectofGod

Guess others got to it already... One note though.

May I ask how old lol? This is the attitude of the current generation. I thought the same thing, than I found someone and surprisingly my attitude changed.! I just got married a year ago. Go date, enjoy dating. When you find someone the desire to be married will change. If you will allow it. lol Trust me, my friends thought I was the LAST person to get married. haha. I dated her almost 2 years before I got myself to do it.

There is a time a place for all things. If you are worthy of hte spirit it will tell you when to get married. You do not have to get married IMMEDIATELY. You should find the right time. Is it appropriate to put it off for "worldly things" probably not as you can easily do those things while married. But, it still may be right for you to wait. This is an individual matter between you and the Lord. There is no scripture that states when to get married. Its encouraged to do so earlier to have a family but some people don't get married till their 30's due to not finding the right person or because other reasons (some good some bad)

Again, I am trying to teach you that God can answer prayers (if you don't believe that), pray to God and ask him. If its right for you the spirit will direct you to do so when its right. If you draw nigh unto God he will draw nigh unto you.

Christ is the savior of the world. That is thee most important decision in your life is to find out if you believe in him, gain your own witness, determine if the LDS church's apostles and prophets are truly being directed through our Lord and savior Jesus Christ. The other things will fall into place when the time is right.

Edited by ElectofGod

You don't need to get married. You don't need to be baptized. But, when you covenant with God, you receive additional blessings. Baptism opens a gate to further blessings. Marriage opens the gate to additional blessings as well. There are various bible verses that praise the benefits of having a spouse and children. So, it really depends on what blessings you want. Maybe the search should be about God's covenants (and in this context the covenant with Abraham) and blessings and how that works in your life.

That's the beauty of agency, isn't it? The final decision rests on my shoulders, along with any positive or negative consequences that follow said decision. :)

I'll be frank, God's covenants are something I should be more familiar with!

There are lots of different perspectives. My favorite quote by Joseph Smith: "It does not prove a man is a bad person because he err's in doctrine" (paraphrasing). There is truth and there is deception by Satan of that Truth. The purpose of the holy Ghost, which you have if you were baptized and received Holy Ghost, is to show you what is truth what isn't. Everyone is growing in that truth until the "perfect day". You can too as you search sincerely. I would ask you to pray, read, and ask for a witness by the holy spirit. It will show you the truth of all things. Even if its not found in the bible, book of mormon, or doctrine and covenants.

I just write that as a reminder. Seek, knock, it shall be opened unto you. You are currently seeking. :)

Easier to use the book of mormon/Doctrine and Covenants ;). Why the bible :P I will paste a few below. There are many more.

EDIT: the person above quoted these I think already.

Sometimes I think we are all continually seeking. ;) But yes, you're correct, I am.

Guess others got to it already... One note though.

May I ask how old lol? This is the attitude of the current generation. I thought the same thing, than I found someone and surprisingly my attitude changed.! I just got married a year ago. Go date, enjoy dating. When you find someone the desire to be married will change. If you will allow it. lol Trust me, my friends thought I was the LAST person to get married. haha. I dated her 2 years before I got myself to do it.

There is a time a place for all things. If you are worthy of hte spirit it will tell you when to get married. You do not have to get married IMMEDIATELY. You should find the right time. Is it appropriate to put it off for "worldly things" probably not as you can easily do those things while married. But, it still may be right for you to wait. This is an individual matter between you and the Lord. There is no scripture that states when to get married. Its encouraged to do so earlier to have a family but some people don't get married till their 30's due to not finding the right person or because other reasons (some good some bad)

Again, I am trying to teach you that God can answer prayers (if you don't believe that), pray to God and ask him. If its right for you the spirit will direct you to do so when its right. If you draw nigh unto God he will draw nigh unto you.

Christ is the savior of the world. That is thee most important decision in your life is to find out if you believe in him, gain your own witness, determine if the LDS church's apostles and prophets are truly being directed through our Lord and savior Jesus Christ. The other things will fall into place when the time is right.

I'm coming up on 24 in a few months, but a considerable portion of my peers from high school are already married, I feel older than I am. :P One thing you might learn about me too is that I'm restless and a free spirit, so the idea of settling down scares me a bit. Haha, quite more than a bit, actually. If I'm married I can't randomly go to Vegas on a whim or drop everything and go see another part of the world, I can't be out till all hours of the night with my friends, etc... Haha I realize that those to many are silly things, but it's just a part of who I am.

Besides that I do have other personal reasons of why I would prefer to not get married... Among them career goals, travel and bucket lists, and I don't plan on having children. (Things that I'd prefer not to discuss, they are my own personal choices)

My choices, amongst everything else in my life, are in my prayers, though I have yet to hear an answer. I confess that I have only felt the spirit once in my entire life. But that doesn't deter me from seeking. I'm not worried, I figure I will find the answers I seek in good time.

That's the beauty of agency, isn't it? The final decision rests on my shoulders, along with any positive or negative consequences that follow said decision. :)

I'll be frank, God's covenants are something I should be more familiar with!

Sometimes I think we are all continually seeking. ;) But yes, you're correct, I am.

I'm coming up on 24 in a few months, but a considerable portion of my peers from high school are already married, I feel older than I am. :P One thing you might learn about me too is that I'm restless and a free spirit, so the idea of settling down scares me a bit. Haha, quite more than a bit, actually. If I'm married I can't randomly go to Vegas on a whim or drop everything and go see another part of the world, I can't be out till all hours of the night with my friends, etc... Haha I realize that those to many are silly things, but it's just a part of who I am.

Besides that I do have other personal reasons of why I would prefer to not get married... Among them career goals, travel and bucket lists, and I don't plan on having children. (Things that I'd prefer not to discuss, they are my own personal choices)

My choices, amongst everything else in my life, are in my prayers, though I have yet to hear an answer. I confess that I have only felt the spirit once in my entire life. But that doesn't deter me from seeking. I'm not worried, I figure I will find the answers I seek in good time.

You sound like myself. I am extremely independent. I didn't plan on getting married till like 26 at the minimum hoping for 30... I ended up getting married at 24 :huh:. Why did I do that? hehe.

Just find someone that has those interests with you :lol: and you can do it together. You sound like my wife too. She loooves traveling, we loved hanging out till late hours, etc...

But, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just be yourself. When you are ready you will know it. Else the Lord may hit you on the head when its time lol.

You sound like myself. I am extremely independent. I didn't plan on getting married till like 26 at the minimum hoping for 30... I ended up getting married at 24 :huh:. Why did I do that? hehe.

Just find someone that has those interests with you :lol: and you can do it together. You sound like my wife too. She loooves traveling, we loved hanging out till late hours, etc...

But, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just be yourself. When you are ready you will know it. Else the Lord may hit you on the head when its time lol.

Haha it's good to hear that you found someone that seems to be so right for you. :) My biggest problem would be cutting down on the time I spend with my friends. One couple we know that got married never comes around anymore.. and it's kind of a bummer. But I guess that's life, right?

Nah, it's just curiosity more than anything. I'm not worried about it at all, I care much more about making money and having fun. :cool:

Haha it's good to hear that you found someone that seems to be so right for you. My biggest problem would be cutting down on the time I spend with my friends. One couple we know that got married never comes around anymore.. and it's kind of a bummer. But I guess that's life, right?

Nah, it's just curiosity more than anything. I'm not worried about it at all, I care much more about making money and having fun.

I felt some of that, too, before I got married. But I was fairly recently married, and we have a child now, too, and you know what? We still see friends, whether separately or together. Mostly, it just takes the desire to do so. We just make time for it.

Having a child cuts down on your time and flexibility, of course, but there is so much in being married and in raising a child that makes up for it. I didn't realize this until my son was born, but raising children is part of the human experience. Everyone should do it. Also, I feel much closer to my heavenly parents now that I have a child, something I didn't necessarily expect.

I felt some of that, too, before I got married. But I was fairly recently married, and we have a child now, too, and you know what? We still see friends, whether separately or together. Mostly, it just takes the desire to do so. We just make time for it.

Having a child cuts down on your time and flexibility, of course, but there is so much in being married and in raising a child that makes up for it. I didn't realize this until my son was born, but raising children is part of the human experience. Everyone should do it. Also, I feel much closer to my heavenly parents now that I have a child, something I didn't necessarily expect.

Yeah, and it's true, another couple I know hangs out quite a bit, it's all up to the individuals.

I respect others decision to have children, but it's not something for me. I don't dislike children, or anything like that, I just have different goals in life. I definitely see the happiness it has brought others, though. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DeusCaritasEst

ElectofGod replied to the OP with this:

Inasmuch as Latter-day Saints believe in marriage for eternity, how do we explain Jesus’ teachings in Matthew 22:29–30?

David H. Yarn, Jr., emeritus professor of philosophy and instructor of religion, Brigham Young University. These two verses are part of a larger context which commences with verse 23, as follows:

“The same day came to him the Sadducees, which say that there is no resurrection, and asked him,

“Saying, Master, Moses said, If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother.

“Now there were with us seven brethren: and the first, when he had married a wife, deceased, and, having no issue, left his wife unto his brother:

“Likewise the second also, and the third, unto the seventh.

“And last of all the woman died also.

“Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her.

“Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

“For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.” (Matt. 22:23–30.)

To understand these verses, we need to understand the context in which the Sadducees asked their question and the context in which Jesus answered it.

First, it should be emphasized that this is a hypothetical situation presented to the Lord by the Sadducees, who, as the scripture itself asserts, did not even believe in the resurrection. They were simply doing what both they and the Pharisees so often did—asking the Lord questions simply to bait him, to see if they could catch him contradicting what Moses, the great Lawgiver, had said.

The question itself was based upon the teachings of Moses: “If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother.” (Matt. 22:24; see also Deut. 25:5–10.) In the hypothetical case suggested by the Sadducees, in which seven brothers each had been married to a woman in turn, the question was, “In the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven?”

According to Dummelow’s A Commentary on The Holy Bible, “The point raised by the Sadducees was often debated by the Jewish doctors, who decided that a ‘woman who married two husbands in this world is restored to the first in the next.’” (New York: The Macmillan Company, 1927, p. 698.) Most Jews at the time believed in a material resurrection, and so the question had some importance to them. (Ibid.)

On the other hand, although the Sadducees didn’t believe in the resurrection, they were more than happy to use it to try to “bring Jesus into contempt and ridicule with the multitude by asking Him a question which they thought He could not answer.” (Ibid., p. 697.)

But Jesus did answer them, and he began with a mild rebuke: “Ye do err,” he said, “not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.” Consider the handicap the Sadducees had placed upon themselves. They did not really understand the scriptures—and probably had no wish to do so on this point. They were steeped in false doctrine, and without the gift of the Holy Ghost had no access to the revelatory power of the Spirit. The Savior’s answer, therefore, was not a full doctrinal explanation of the doctrine of eternal marriage. Instead, he quickly defused their argument and then testified of the resurrection using the scriptures that the Sadducees held most sacred.

The Savior effectively dismissed their question on marriage by stating that “in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.” In that way, the Savior turned to the more fundamental issue of the Sadducee’s disbelief in resurrection. Of the resurrection, the Savior bore certain testimony:

“But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying,

“I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.” (Matt. 22:31–32.)

At this point, the Sadducees were silenced. In Mark’s account of the episode, the Lord adds, “Ye therefore do greatly err.” (Mark 12:27.) The Savior had made their error painfully clear by referring to the Law—Exodus 6:3 [Ex. 6:3]—for support. The Law was considered by all Jews, Sadducees included, as the highest authority in the canon of scripture. They couldn’t very well argue with the scriptures they held in highest esteem.

What, then, do we make of the Savior’s statement that “in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage?”

First, we see that it was made in response to an attempt by the Sadducees to trap the Lord. Consequently, it would not have been the Lord’s final word on the subject. Why should the Lord scatter pearls before them that they would only trample underfoot? (See Matt. 7:6.) They were no more prepared to listen to a discourse on eternal marriage than they were prepared to accept the reality of the resurrection.

Second, the Lord did not say there would be no people in the married state in the resurrection, but that there would be no marriages made in the resurrection.

Third, we must be clear about the “they” who are neither marrying nor being given in marriage. The context of the scriptures just cited suggests a generic rather than a specific meaning. Simply put, that means no marriages are made in the resurrection. The Lord was warning the Sadducees. They were Jews of the day who had rejected him and therefore had no access to the higher ordinances of the Melchizedek Priesthood. How could these men, whom Jesus had called a “generation of vipers” (Matt. 3:7), qualify for the highest blessings of the celestial kingdom?

What the Savior declared of the Sadducees who would later have part in his death is hardly applicable to his Saints who, through the ordinances of the priesthood and their righteousness, qualify for exaltation in the celestial kingdom, which the Lord equates with eternal marriage. (See D&C 132:19–24.)

The Savior made statements on other occasions that support the idea of eternal marriage. To the Pharisees, who at least believed in the resurrection, he said: “Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

“And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

“Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.” (Matt. 19:4–7; italics added.)

The marriage of Adam and Eve, performed prior to the Fall, was certainly done in an eternal context (see Gen. 2:18–24), and the authority to bind on earth and in heaven was given to Peter and the other Apostles. (See Matt. 16:19; Matt. 18:18.)

Although this authority was lost with the priesthood through apostasy, it has been restored in our day. The Lord’s promise is that those marriages performed by his authority and “sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, by him who is anointed, unto whom I have appointed this power and the keys of this priesthood” (D&C 132:19) shall endure forever.

So, my question is if a husband and wife were sealed for time and eternity, and the husband died. The wife remarries and is sealed to her second husband for time and eternity and her second husband dies. The wife remarries and is sealed to her third husband for time and eternity and he dies...etc,etc,etc. To whom is she married to in the resurrection? The first? second? third? All?

ElectofGod replied to the OP with this:

So, my question is if a husband and wife were sealed for time and eternity, and the husband died. The wife remarries and is sealed to her second husband for time and eternity and her second husband dies. The wife remarries and is sealed to her third husband for time and eternity and he dies...etc,etc,etc. To whom is she married to in the resurrection? The first? second? third? All?

As long as the woman is alive, she would have to have a sealing cancelled before she could be sealed to another man.