Netflix Makes History

HoosierGuy

I found this very interesting and another sign how technology and the internet are changing things. Netflix now has more subscribers than HBO.

"On top of winning back Wall Street's heart (no easy task!), Netflix has also hit a hugely important and symbolic milestone in the race for users: Netflix now has more subscribers than HBO."

How Netflix came back from the dead and beat HBO - The Week

I think that's pretty cool. I always thought HBO was the big behemoth of pay entertainment. I'm glad to see Netflix compete with them.

I cancelled Netflix disk delivery a few years ago and have had their streaming service running to my TV for a couple of years now. I have also subscribed off and on to Hulu and a few other small online networks that I find on my Roku device. I have even bought an HBO mini-series on Amazon Prime that I watch by streaming. It's all about streaming!

Because of online streaming, I'm ditching my slow DSL service and going with faster cable and I'm doing that because I stream Netflix, lots of YouTube, and I want to buy more online movies through my Roku device. I'm getting set up so I will not buy a DVD again!

It's all good. The more competition the better. More choices and lower prices (eventually).

Edited by HoosierGuy
forgot link

Now if only they'd ditch microsoft's DRM (or Microsoft would just finally license Linux desktops to use it) so I didn't have to jump through hoops to watch it on my Linux boxes...

I look forward to the day when streaming anytime we like is how we watch all of our tv.

We recently purchased a Roku as well, so far the thing is great. We have a ton of channels on it, including BYUTV. Netflix is one of my main go to places, but the lack of parental controls for Netflix is disappointing.

Netflix has parental controls it's Hulu Plus that doesn't that is why we use Netflix. We have ours set to pg-13 and under. That also blocks any anime with M rating.

Does Roku have parental controls. I've been considering the Roku.

Jerome, what do you do to watch it on Linux? I have tried to think of ways to do it before, but nothing but a virtual machine really comes to mind.

At first I ran a windows version of firefox on wine, that however no longer works so easily.

Now I use this ppa (which does the same thing, just more neatly) PPA for Netflix Desktop App | iheartubuntu

It's an Ubuntu Personal Package Archive, I don't know if it works well on other debian based distro's or not. I can't remember if it runs IE under wine or Firefox, but I'm sure you can achieve something similar with a custom build of wine under any distro.

insert rant:

Roku runs a custom linux kernel, so do android devices, so do many blu-ray players. as do many smart tv's. You get where this rant is going?

Edited by jerome1232

I only stream (or rent). Haven't had cable (except for 2 aborted attempts) in 12 years. Its so exciting to see how the medium has been expanding the past few years.

Although, lol, gripe of my own:

HBO FINALLY comes out with a mobile version, but ONLY if you have a cable provider. Thwibbt! :P C'mon HBO, direct subscribe. Direct subscribe.

Edited by BadWolf
Durn autocorrect

At first I ran a windows version of firefox on wine, that however no longer works so easily.

Now I use this ppa (which does the same thing, just more neatly) PPA for Netflix Desktop App | iheartubuntu

It's an Ubuntu Personal Package Archive, I don't know if it works well on other debian based distro's or not. I can't remember if it runs IE under wine or Firefox, but I'm sure you can achieve something similar with a custom build of wine under any distro.

insert rant:

Roku runs a custom linux kernel, so do android devices, so do many blu-ray players. as do many smart tv's. You get where this rant is going?

It's so true. I hope that the recent news about Netflix switching to HTML5 comes soon and with Linux support.

Okay. Thanks. I will have to mess with that. My wife's Vista laptop died, so our only way to hook up to a TV right now is a netbook running Peppermint. I will take a look at the PPA. If nothing else, I can try Mint or Ubuntu on there instead.