How many hours do you spend at your computer per day

Jeffmk

I need my computer to work - I've got papers to grade, papers to write, journals to read via the library's database, news to look at to determine if I'm going to use it for a class, etc. While at the computer, I listen to music, online radio, or run Netflix in one window while working in another, etc. (not all at the same time). There's just so much available!

When I am at home, I mostly sit in front of the computer, with the TV in another room, if it's on. I do think I'm a little addicted, though. I have an electric piano and bought an LDS hymnbook. I think I've sat down once - mostly because I get this itch that I might be missing something on the internet. I'm just glad I'm not a FB addict; I try to go in and get out. It's quite the time suck if you let it, and I have enough time sucks as it is.

Computing is my hobby, I tell myself it's more stimulating than watching cable at least.

Computing used to be my hobby until I started doing it for a living, and the work I did was for live corporate networks. At that point, the stress ruined it for me. I do still get excited over the arrival of new servers for the racks, but its short lived

Computing used to be my hobby until I started doing it for a living, and the work I did was for live corporate networks. At that point, the stress ruined it for me. I do still get excited over the arrival of new servers for the racks, but its short lived

I'm in school for that right now, I hope that doesn't happen to me!

40 years old is irrelevant. If you can program effectively and are pleasant to work with, people will hire you.

By the way, Jeff, I speak from experience. No doubt there are some startups that don't want to look at a developer over the age of 30, but they are a tiny minority. As long as you don't look like you're at death's door, 99% of companies needing a developer don't give a darn how old you are. They care only about how well you can write code. The same tends to be true with developer-related jobs, such as SDETs, program managers, and dev doc writers. Having a body of work that you can show and being able to demonstrate your competence is vastly more important than how old you are.

Besides, whether you believe it or not, at 40 you're still pretty young.

Edited by Vort
oops -- wrong word

Just catching up -- My dad just got a new programming job at 51.

He got his first at 35 and he had no direct experience prior, just transferrable skills. Worked his way up to upper management before the company went under.

If you've got the skills, they'll recognize it.

By the way, Jeff, I speak from experience. No doubt there are some startups that don't want to look at a developer over the age of 30, but they are a tiny minority. As long as you don't look like you're at death's door, 99% of companies needing a developer don't give a darn how old you are . They care only about how well you can write code. The same tends to be true with developer-related jobs, such as SDETs, program managers, and dev doc writers. Having a body of work that you can show and being able to demonstrate your competence is vastly more important than how old you are.

Besides, whether you believe it or not, at 40 you're still pretty young.

^^^^^

Or if you're wearing pants.

Outside of work (8-9 hours per day), school (2-3 hours per day completely online), working on our business (1-2 hours per day), I maybe get an hour or two that I just mess around, unless you count the messing around I do when I'm supposed to be doing something else. A 12 hour computing day is nothing unusual, and I've gone over 16 on some days. Strangely, about the only games I play are the occasional flash games, so I can't say I'm addicted. I just can't quit because so much of what I need to do requires the computer and internet.