Favorite Quotes

Guest Tungsten

Guest Tungsten

At my singles ward a while ago my friend was giving the lesson, and he wrote a quote on the board that said:

"If a person is not happy in the Gospel, he had better repent"

and having been not happy in the gospel at one time, it changed my life.

I like some other quotes such as "The Key to Humility is Sincere Heartfelt Prayer" and "If you want a soft heart, serve others"

Do any of you guys have a favorite quote that may have changed your life or helped you in any way?

Edited by Tungsten
clarifly

"He who hesitates meditates in a horizontal position" -Ed Parker (Kenpo Karate grandmaster)

"Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." – Thomas Edison

“It's hard to beat a person who never gives up.”

― Babe Ruth

"Three important things I learned for success: Stay hungry, humble & surround yourself w/ quality peeps. (And eat pancakes)" - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson

"A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at."

Bruce Lee

"Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them."

Ronald Reagan

I taught my kids using the following with endless true life examples.

"The stupid shall be punished"

However, I learned this one from my scoutmaster one night on a camp out and I've tried to live up to it all my life since. (with limited success, but success non-the-less)

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

"Early is on time. On time is late. Late is unforgivable." - from my 1st year in high school marching band.

"A person convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."

"If you have a problem, turn it into a process... and it won't be a problem anymore." Ben Feldman

"When you speak, be sure that what you say improves upon the silence." - John Savage

"Set a goal to become a millionaire. Why? For what it will make of you to achieve it." - Jim Rohn

My three favorite (sorry that the last two are not gender-inclusive):

"New beginnings are often disguised as painful endings." (Lao Tzu)

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him." (David Brinkley)

"He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool. Shun him.

He who knows not, and knows that he knows not, is a child. Teach him.

He who knows, and knows not that he knows, is asleep. Wake him.

He who knows, and knows that he knows, is wise. Listen to him.” (Persian Proverb)

1. Not exactly words to live by, but it comes in handy when dealing with other people: Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

2. This, too, shall pass.

3. A character on Star Trek is asked what she is interested in, and she responds, "Everything. Less than that is betrayal of the intellect." I've framed it for myself as: 'To be interested in less than everything is a betrayal of the intellect.' It reminds me to keep my mind open and explore, even if I think I won't be interested in the topic.

"When you speak, be sure that what you say improves upon the silence." - John Savage

Here I thought that was Anjelica Huston in the movie Ever After. :)

If you can't solve your problems, manage them.

I've often thought about this quote and know that some problems don't go away. But if I think about them, I can usually figure out something that will help. It makes me feel more in control.