Priesthood for sisters?

Good morning, Finrock. I hope your day is as bright and sunshiny and full of love.

You inspire me with your greetings and hope to return the favor.

I suppose it may be helpful to specify that I believe that in the Church we have formal ordinances that are necessary for the salvation of man, but these formal ordinances are clearly not the only ordinances in the gospel.

If God requires us to act and we act in holiness, He promises to bless us with His power.

Lets take a hypothetical woman. This woman is addicted. When she prays to Heavenly Father she asks God to bless her with power to overcome her addictions. In answer to her prayer, she receives power to overcome the addiction. Now what power did she receive? She received God's power, aka priesthood power, to overcome her addiction. Her act of prayer (to her this was an act required for her salvation) resulted in the manifestation of priesthood power, or God's power.

We are all authorized to petition to Heavenly Father for power to overcome our struggles. This act of faith and prayer requires no priesthood keys. When we act in faith, God's power is manifested through us, whether man or woman and God's power is His priesthood.

Regards,

Finrock

Thanks for your clarification above, Finrock.

I think that defining "priesthood" and "priesthood power" means a lot in this discussion. My experience is that most people who think women in the LDS Church should have "priesthood", would define it very differently. Often there seems to be more of a concern about organizational authority, the decision-making, the budget-managing, the sermon-making, etc. than there seems to be concern about doing the will of God or ministering to another person's needs on a one-on-one basis.

Just A GUY

That's the feeling I got when I encountered this question. That by the simple virtue of there being these well defined, organized, and delineated roles specifically spelled out for men in a clear and concise hierarchy vs women simply being lumped into "relief society" caused some concern. Of course, i fully understand that to a strong, independent woman in modern times, the idea of men being seen as in any way even remotely "superior" or having any type of "authority" over women is a red flag of concern. I think people have been fighting the concept of gender roles and identity so long now that they've lost the ability to separate a real gender inequality issue from a negative perspective. In truth, I don't think they realize that having priesthood power doesn't give men some sort of exalted or elevated status with which to RULE over women, only that it seems to focus on the duties and different functions of their respective gender roles within the service to the Lord. Heavenly Father made us two types (Male and female) for a reason, and child bearing isn't the sole explanation for that.

Still I'm not sure what I would say to an investigator to alleviate her concerns or explain the reasons why things are as they are in a way that would quickly satisfy someone with zero experience of the church, doctrine, or its structure.

Well, you know, there are two sides to this. Sometimes men feel left out of the parts we're not made to do.

(Interesting that that is one of the few completely clean scenes in the movie. Almost like they planned for it to be used in this discussion. :) )

Edited by NightSG

I haven't read most the responses but here are some things to ponder. I wouldn't teach it to an investigator entirely because these things are not even taught in the church currently (actively like general conference).

In a meeting of the Relief Society on April 28, 1842, Joseph Smith discussed women anointing and healing. Eliza R. Snow reported the minutes and wrote the following:

Prest. Smith continued the subject (of healing the sick by the laying on of hands) by adverting to the commission given to the ancient apostles "Go ye into all the world" . . . No matter who believeth; these signs such as healing the sick, casting out devils . . . should follow all that believe whether male or female. He ask'd the Society if they could not see by this sweeping stroke that werein they are ordained, it is the privilege of those set apart to administer in that authority which is conferr'd on them--and if the sisters should have faith to heal the sick, let all hold their tongues, and let every thing roll on. . . . Respecting the females laying on hands, he further remarked, there could be no devil in it if God gave his sanction by healing-- that there could be no more sin in any female laying hands on the sick than in wetting the face with water. It is no sin for any body to do it that has faith, or if the sick has faith to be heal'd by the administration.... President Smith then offered instruction respecting the propriety of females administering to the sick by the laying on of hands.

Heber C. Kimball:

Some of you, ladies, that go abroad from house to house, blessing the sick, having your little circles of women come together, why are you troubling yourselves to bless and lay your hands on women, and prophesy on them, if you do not believe the principle? (Heber C. Kimball Journal of Discourses, 5: 176 - 177.)

Brigham Young:

Why do you not live so as to rebuke disease? . . . it is the privilege of a mother to have faith and to administer to her child; this she can do herself, as well as sending for the Elders. (14 Nov. 1869, JD 13:155.)

In a message from the First Presidency to stake presidents and bishops, President Joseph F. Smith, together with Anthon H. Lund and Charles W. Penrose, issued a statement answering a list of questions regarding women anointing and ministering to the sick. Some excerpts:

4. Have the sisters the right to administer to sick children?

Answer: Yes; they have the same right to administer to sick children as to adults, and may anoint and lay hands upon them in faith.

From Wilford Woodruff's Journal (4:244). Occasion: Wilford Woodruff's namesake son, just ordained a priest, was about to begin his duties.

3 February 1854: His father and mother [Phoebe Carter Woodruff] laid hands upon him and blessed him and dedicated him unto the Lord.

Ok I read most of it now.

Finrock you have some wonderful posts that I almost completely agree with.

Don't get too hung up on the bearing children example of exercising power in the priesthood. Remember, there is priesthood authority and priesthood power. Women do not have priesthood authority or keys, but they certainly exercise priesthood power. Further, women are authorized to administer in the gospel through the priesthood authority and keys that men have. It is through and by priesthood authority that a woman is called as a Relief Society president, for instance. Therefore, when a women is authorized to be a Relief Society president (her authority coming from the authority and keys of the Bishop) and she magnifies her calling in righteousness, she will be exercising priesthood power.

I have learned for myself they also do have authority and keys. Not the same ones as men in this temporal world but they do exist (maybe). One example of authority is from my quotes above in a previous comment and your comment shows them exercising authority and keys in the relief society. Sure you could say its delegated through the bishop but if you apply it that way than ALL men are delegating through that same lineage and would say no one has those keys or authority except through delegation. (which is partially true)

We must all connect ourselves with God to gain that power and fulness of priesthood for ourselves. Both male and female. The authority comes from one in authority and Keys come from one having the keys. Thus it can bestowed upon anyone who has the right to exercise it in their responsibilities both male and female.

There are prophetesses after all And Queens and priestesses.

They are just not "visible" temporal callings like in General Conference though in the early days didn't they contribute? (I don't know I just thought I heard they did or at least were there) Its the same with the scriptures they are not "visible" but doesn't mean they do not exist in some way or form. Women are rarely talked about in the scriptures.

Together one can have the fulness of heaven and eternal joy. Just like the soul cannot have a fulness of joy without the body inseparable connected, the male without the female cannot. And vice versa.

It is through and by priesthood authority ....

This is the great question I think though. Is it through or is it on their own? Are they exercising through their husbands or through their own authority and power? Depending who you ask will give you a different answer.

This topic is close to my heart. My niece went inactive and ended up joining another faith over this topic. Plain and simple...it's the way the Lord has set it up. I know the Church is true, that God lives, Jesus is the Christ, and Joseph Smith was/is a Prophet. I know this with no uncertainty. If I dare to doubt how the Lord has chosen in His infinite wisdom to set up His Church on this earth, I am no better than the serpent.

Even if we don't understand it, how in the world can we question it? Or try to make up reasons or excuses? I laid into my niece. She was really upset...but fact is, she had no testimony of her own. Whether she finds her way back...it is her decision, her choice, her free agency.

I will not play into her hand.

As for me and my house.... :D ... we serve the Lord!