I am so confused....

Jamie123

I honestly can't remember which has the larger ears; the African Elephant or the Indian Elephant. Sometimes I think it's the Indian Elephant...but then I think "No, it must be the African Elephant".

I keep going round and round in circles. It's awful. Can someone please help me?

Posted Image

An elephant fighting a crocodile. An African one. Or is it an Indian one? Oh, I'm so confused!

Indian have smaller ears. Almost all circus elephants are indian. They are easier to tame, in India they use domesticated elephants as beasts of burden. African elephants cant be tamed. African have larger ears.

I wonder if the elephants in the book of Ether had small or large ears? ;)

Edited by Ulder

I've just invented a wonderful mnemonic to help remember:

ALIS (Pronounced "Alice") = "African Larger Indian Smaller"

How can I ever repay you, Ulder? You have truly inspired my genius!

Now the next problem: How to tell a crocodile from an alligator... Hmmm.

I've just invented a wonderful mnemonic to help remember:

ALIS (Pronounced "Alice") = "African Larger Indian Smaller"

How can I ever repay you, Ulder? You have truly inspired my genius!

Now the next problem: How to tell a crocodile from an alligator... Hmmm.

Haha no problem, and no big deal! ^_^

Hmm, Alligators live in Florida/mississippi, all other such animals in the world are crocodiles, right?

Haha no problem, and no big deal! ^_^

Hmm, Alligators live in Florida/mississippi, all other such animals in the world are crocodiles, right?

LOL. No.

We here in Florida have the unique privilege of having both Alligators and Crocodiles living amongst us. Only place in the entire planet where it is so.

But we don't have exclusive privileges to Alligators. There are Alligators elsewhere, including China. They just don't live next-door to crocodiles, so say, if you're in China, chances are you got an Alligator. If you're in Australia, chances are you got a crocodile. If you're in North America, except the Southern tip of Florida, chances are you got a crocodile, travelling south to Central and South America, you got an Alligator. So, in that picture, unless that elephant is in the zoo, that thing hanging off his snout is a croc as African Elephant populations are not found in places that have gators.

So... you take a vacation to Miami and you fall in the swamp and you see this crocodilian thing about to eat you, and you wonder, am I about to be eaten by a croc or a gator? Well, easy way to tell is if you see a V-shaped snout you got a croc, U-shaped you got a gator. Still not sure? Well, wait until he gives you a toothy grin. If you see all top and bottom teeth in line you got a croc, if you see only the top teeth (bottom teeth is behind the front teeth), you got a gator.

Edited by anatess

LOL. No.

We here in Florida have the unique privilege of having both Alligators and Crocodiles living amongst us. Only place in the entire planet where it is so.

But we don't have exclusive privileges to Alligators. There are Alligators elsewhere, including China. They just don't live next-door to crocodiles, so say, if you're in China, chances are you got an Alligator. If you're in Australia, chances are you got a crocodile. If you're in North America, except the Southern tip of Florida, chances are you got a crocodile, travelling south to Central and South America, you got an Alligator. So, in that picture, unless that elephant is in the zoo, that thing hanging off his snout is a croc as African Elephant populations are not found in places that have gators.

So... you take a vacation to Miami and you fall in the swamp and you see this crocodilian thing about to eat you, and you wonder, am I about to be eaten by a croc or a gator? Well, easy way to tell is if you see a V-shaped snout you got a croc, U-shaped you got a gator. Still not sure? Well, wait until he gives you a toothy grin. If you see all top and bottom teeth in line you got a croc, if you see only the top teeth (bottom teeth is behind the front teeth), you got a gator.

Guess I was wrong, so thanks Anatess for putting me right! :) I wouldn't like to die not knowing what kind of reptile was eating me!

Guess I was wrong, so thanks Anatess for putting me right! :) I wouldn't like to die not knowing what kind of reptile was eating me!

Oh, and if you're in the Indian subcontinent, that reptilian thing about to eat you may be a gharial, not a croc nor a gator... snout shaped like an I.

I honestly can't remember which has the larger ears; the African Elephant or the Indian Elephant. Sometimes I think it's the Indian Elephant...but then I think "No, it must be the African Elephant".

I keep going round and round in circles. It's awful. Can someone please help me?

Posted Image

An elephant fighting a crocodile. An African one. Or is it an Indian one? Oh, I'm so confused!

African elephants have bigger ears, and african male elephants ears are generally larger than the females if i recall right. They evolved in a hotter climate. Cant tell in the pic, it has a bad angle on the heads.. Edited by Blackmarch

Poor elephant. Assuming it didn't die of infection, living with the end of the trunk gone would be a major handicap for an elephant.

In animal-versus-animal fights, I generally find myself pulling for the one evolutionarily closer to humans. Primates > felines, mammals > reptiles, vertebrates > invertebrates, etc.

I've been in shallow water at the beach at St Thomas and turned to see a 7ft shark just a few feet away comming toward me,... I remember thinking, "well that's curious,... now what kind of shark do you suppose that is? :D

Croc or gator? Can you really tell through the cloud of dust running for your life at full speed? :wow:

I've been in shallow water at the beach at St Thomas and turned to see a 7ft shark just a few feet away comming toward me,... I remember thinking, "well that's curious,... now what kind of shark do you suppose that is? :D

Croc or gator? Can you really tell through the cloud of dust running for your life at full speed? :wow:

You could always hide behind Will Robinson like you did on the show ;)

Posted Image

Edited by Jamie123

African elephants have bigger ears, and african male elephants ears are generally larger than the females if i recall right. They evolved in a hotter climate. Cant tell in the pic, it has a bad angle on the heads..

It's an African and here's just a few clues from the picture: The African elephant has that roundish bottom lip. The Asian elephant's lip is pointy. The baby elephant's ears go well over his back. The Asian elephant's ears are not big enough to go over his back. The skin of the African Elephant is wrinkly, the Asian is smoother.