Gardening 2013

Wingnut

What did you plant this year? We have our biggest garden ever this year, and I'm excited for it. We've got:

Broccoli

Lettuce

Spinach

Green beans

Strawberries

Green bell peppers

Red bell peppers

Carrots

Cucumbers

Peas

Tomatoes

Zucchini

Basil

Cilantro

Chives

I live in a colder area of the US, so we have a shorter growing season than I'd like. Even then, we were late getting our stuff in the ground, and only finished planting this week.

Two herbs - I don't know what they are, wife does

Tomatoes - different types

Watermelon

Cantaloupe

Honey Dew

Peppers: Bell, Sweet and hot banana and others

Spinach

Kale

Peas: sweet and sugar snap

Zucchini

Pumpkins

Other squash

Strawberries

Rasberries

Green Beans

Potatoes

Carrots

Up in the Pacific Northwest:

Grape Tomatoes (regular ones just don't work)

Lettuce (we usually grow spinach, this one's new this year)

Snow Peas

Green beans

Zucchini

Strawberries (new this year, we've got 3 kinds to see what we like)

We've tried carrots in the past, but they just didn't work. If anyone knows the secret in this climate, I'd like to learn it.

One day we'll have a yard, and then I'll get serious about my garden.

We've tried carrots in the past, but they just didn't work. If anyone knows the secret in this climate, I'd like to learn it.

My understanding with carrots it is all in the soil, unless of course you never see the sun. Last year was the first year in eight years we successfully planted carrots and they actually turned out. They actually grew throughout the winter and in March we picked them, I mean dug them up.

We have always had success with them being baby carrots, but the moment they grew past three inches they became woody, very gross to eat, but then again, if hadn't eaten in two days or more, I am sure even these woody carrots would have satisfied me.

I put in

Asparagus and strawberries (dormant roots)

Peas

Beets

Spinach

Lettuce

Beans

Carrots

Potatoes

Cucumbers

Radishes

I finished planting in the first week of May, and just gambled on not getting anymore snow or frost since it has been milder than usual, so far so good the peas are looking especially good but I'm not counting my chickens yet, we have had snow in June before! I put annuals in my flowerbeds last weekend, which is the usual planting weekend for this area. I have two very small raised beds in the back and we are zone 3, but since my garden is in a very sheltered full south exposure, I'm hoping for great results!

Asparagus

Someday I'll try growing those. I know they take about three years before you actually get anything worthwhile out of them.

I finished planting in the first week of May, and just gambled on not getting anymore snow or frost since it has been milder than usual, so far so good the peas are looking especially good but I'm not counting my chickens yet, we have had snow in June before! I put annuals in my flowerbeds last weekend, which is the usual planting weekend for this area. I have two very small raised beds in the back and we are zone 3, but since my garden is in a very sheltered full south exposure, I'm hoping for great results!

After starting this thread, I got a weather alert that I've got a frost warning until tomorrow morning -- GRRRRR!!!! Zone 6 here. :mad:

Florida here:

and Tilapia.

Yep. Aquaponics here.

That's awesome, we have big plans for when we get more land, that include trout ponds, chickens and beehives (my son wants to keep them). But since we only have 45'x100' which includes the house (and trampoline, and playset, and dog run...) we are going to have to wait. Interestingly we would be allowed to keep bees in the city, and no one is able to complain because they are protected, we just figured that the yard is a little too crowded already :lol:

Sorry about the frost Wingnut, we are getting our usual spring torrential downpours, 80mm so far in the past two days, and it is still coming. But since this is a semi-arid area and we have been having grass fires, I'm not complaining.

I am not much of a gardener - at uni I managed to kill an air plant but I like to try as I have to kove hy mid june I am container gardening but I have a pumpkin (which hopefully wont be too big too move, a bell pepper, a peppermint and 2 mini citrus plants after I move I will plant some tomato seeds and peas and see what happens

I'll have to ask my dad. He plants enough to feed my brother and his family, my other brother and his family, my cousin and his family, our family, my sister and himself with tons left over to feed friends of his and me. (Whew! that was a long sentence)

He usually plants tomatoes, various peppers, zuchinni, squash, corn, green beans, onions. We usually freeze alot of the stuff (we are not canners in my family). I'm looking forward to my first BLT of the season!