Would I be welcome the LDS Church?

Pamela818

Is it possible to participate in the LDS Church services and social programs without becoming a member immediately?

The more I watch BYU Devotional Addresses and panel discussions, the more drawn I feel to the LDS encouragement of Godly living and Scriptural understanding.

I was baptized into the Mormon faith around 1977 as a 'seeker' in my early 20s but went in other directions thereafter for many years. I don't know if that baptism is null and void or if there is a way of resurrecting it from the ashes of time.

What is the procedure for being baptized into the LDS faith? Are there classes, etc. that one must take?

Thank you!

Pamela

Get in touch with the missionaries! :) They would probably want to give you the discussions again, but if you were never excommunicated or never had your name removed from the records (you would have had to request it), your baptism is still in force. You will also want to attend Gospel Essentials at church to give you a brush-up on the basic tenets of the Gospel.

You will be most welcome! :)

Get in touch with the missionaries! :) They would probably want to give you the discussions again, but if you were never excommunicated or never had your name removed from the records (you would have had to request it), your baptism is still in force. You will also want to attend Gospel Essentials at church to give you a brush-up on the basic tenets of the Gospel.

You will be most welcome! :)

I just made the call and the Bishop (!) who answered will have the missionaries get in touch with me soon. I'm thrilled to be answering the 'call within' finally!

And while writing this, the missionary called and will be here at 2:30p! What can I say but Thank You so much for the encouragement to act.

In God's Love,

Pamela

Hello, All ~

It was a wonderful visit with two young women who had a joyful, quiet confidence about them. We talked of many things and I look forward to their next visit on Tuesday. How many missionary visits are normally done? I hope quite a few! :)

Sister S. had a 'Book' with her that was a full Bible, D&C, BoM, and Pearl of Great Price all in one - with references that referred back from the Mormon books to the Bible and to each other. I found that quite amazing. Had never thought about how integrated LDS was to the Bible - perhaps subconsciously I thought they relied mainly on the LDS Scripture - kind of 'instead of' rather than 'in additon to'. Anyway, it's good to be wrong, wherever I got the notion.

I have been a solitary studier of Scripture for the past five years or so and it was so neat to be able to speak openly to others who love the Trinity and the Word.

Sister S. gave her testimony of Joseph Smith as Prophet. I have no problem with trusting that Joseph Smith received many revelations. However, I questioned the 'prophet' part because of my understanding of the word. I also wanted to know how they answered the query of 'the head of prophecy being cut off with John the Baptist' per Jesus. Anyway, they'll get back to me. I don't see it as a stumbling block...more a curiosity.

We spoke a good bit about the Holy Ghost and my experience of having discovered Him/Her in AA several years ago. While many people only know AA as a means to get sober - I was so amazed at *being* sober that I had to know How and Why AA worked. Turns out the Higher Power of AA is the Holy Ghost, but most (today) never come to know that. Bill W. never meant for us to stop at sobriety - all the clues for finding the 'Great Reality Within' (as he called It) are within the pages as well.

"Sometimes we had to search fearlessly, but He was there. He was as much a fact as we were. We found the Great Reality deep down within us. In the last analysis it is only there that He may be found. It was so with us." Took me four years but, finally!, one day, I Knew Who he was talking about!

If you don't mind my asking, what process does LDS use for members to find the Holy Spirit for themselves?

Thanks for the guidance and interest - it feels as though I've begun another great adventure somehow. :)

Pamela

Please also keep in mind that these young women are exactly that. They are young. They may not have all of the answers to your questions. So give them time to research those answers for you. But they do have testimonies of the restored church here on earth.

Please also keep in mind that these young women are exactly that. They are young. They may not have all of the answers to your questions. So give them time to research those answers for you. But they do have testimonies of the restored church here on earth.

I don't expect *anyone* to have all the answers - including me! I surely meant no criticism in *any* way. I shared the question that came up in case others may have ideas to share on the topic. No worries. :)

Hello, All ~

It was a wonderful visit with two young women who had a joyful, quiet confidence about them. We talked of many things and I look forward to their next visit on Tuesday. How many missionary visits are normally done? I hope quite a few! :)

Sister S. had a 'Book' with her that was a full Bible, D&C, BoM, and Pearl of Great Price all in one - with references that referred back from the Mormon books to the Bible and to each other. I found that quite amazing. Had never thought about how integrated LDS was to the Bible - perhaps subconsciously I thought they relied mainly on the LDS Scripture - kind of 'instead of' rather than 'in additon to'. Anyway, it's good to be wrong, wherever I got the notion.

I have been a solitary studier of Scripture for the past five years or so and it was so neat to be able to speak openly to others who love the Trinity and the Word.

Sister S. gave her testimony of Joseph Smith as Prophet. I have no problem with trusting that Joseph Smith received many revelations. However, I questioned the 'prophet' part because of my understanding of the word. I also wanted to know how they answered the query of 'the head of prophecy being cut off with John the Baptist' per Jesus. Anyway, they'll get back to me. I don't see it as a stumbling block...more a curiosity.

We spoke a good bit about the Holy Ghost and my experience of having discovered Him/Her in AA several years ago. While many people only know AA as a means to get sober - I was so amazed at *being* sober that I had to know How and Why AA worked. Turns out the Higher Power of AA is the Holy Ghost, but most (today) never come to know that. Bill W. never meant for us to stop at sobriety - all the clues for finding the 'Great Reality Within' (as he called It) are within the pages as well.

"Sometimes we had to search fearlessly, but He was there. He was as much a fact as we were. We found the Great Reality deep down within us. In the last analysis it is only there that He may be found. It was so with us." Took me four years but, finally!, one day, I Knew Who he was talking about!

If you don't mind my asking, what process does LDS use for members to find the Holy Spirit for themselves?

Thanks for the guidance and interest - it feels as though I've begun another great adventure somehow. :)

Pamela

How long did you stay in the church after you were baptized? Were you ever active?

I don't expect *anyone* to have all the answers - including me! I surely meant no criticism in *any* way. I shared the question that came up in case others may have ideas to share on the topic. No worries. :)

I didn't take it as criticism in any way. Many think that these young men and women should have all of the answers since they are representing the church. I just didn't want you to get disappointed if they didn't have all of the answers.

I didn't take it as criticism in any way. Many think that these young men and women should have all of the answers since they are representing the church. I just didn't want you to get disappointed if they didn't have all of the answers.

I've had a lot of really great conversations with missionaries. Got some real bright folks, last one I chatted with we had a stimulating conversation on the origin of Christianity and the Catholic church (about its origins and changes and such). Moved on to the founding and the split off sects.

While it is indeed silly to assume they know everything, they certainly know more then most anyone I have ever talked to about religion, and I always learn something from them.

How long did you stay in the church after you were baptized? Were you ever active?

I'm 59 and I came into contact with the Mormon chuch when I was 21 or so. I only have a couple of memories of attending services. (I had been raised Catholic and attended parochial school but had 'jumped ship' at 16 over the 'faulty logic' of confession. So I was adrift with no harbor in sight religiously.)

What makes it murky in my mind, I think, is my involvment with a Mormon named Danny. The memory of the night I was tempting him to sexual sin at his house where he lived with his parents is intact. He rebuffed me and stated calmly but clearly of his intention to remain chaste. Things may have gone awkward with being a member of the church after that. It wasn't a feeling of rejection that I remember about that night, but a feeling of being 'unclean'. I can only assume, at the level of my immaturity at the time (and for many years after), that I fled any contacts that would 'touch on' that memory.

And, now writing, I'm wondering if the 'freedom' to return to the Mormon church has to do with having done a thorough confession of sexual sin a while back - of which I included seeking forgiveness for temptiing Danny. The conviction on this matter, even though 'nothing happened', was unmistakable when doing preparation for the confession process.

Listening to a BYU Dev. Add. (Elder Lynn Robbins, "Avoid It") yesterday, one line in particular stood out, "Do not do anything that arouses sexual feelings in others." Such an all-encompassing statement..dress, dance, kissing...eh?

Today (and for a long time now), however, it would be me in Danny's place saying, "This far an no further in this friendship." Some lessons take 'a while' to learn. ;)

Thanks for the question. The Holy Ghost has shown me that confession and forgiveness privately is the first part of the process. Once forgiven, I share my Forgiveness experience with others when the Holy Spirit provides an opportunity, not only encourage others but to confirm within myself that no conviction on this issue remains (no loose ends). Amazing Grace, indeed.

Wow, this is an amazing story.

Sorry to be so curious. I was Catholic too. What was it about Confession that you considered 'faulty logic'?

You don't have to answer, of course. I'm just being too nosy!

Hi, Anatess ~ Not too personal at all...just hope I haven't gone TMI. <g>

Actually, it still amazes me that my leap from damnation to Redemption hinged on being willing to 'take a leap of faith' out of my firmly-held belief that confession was illogical and thus unnecessary. My infallible (heh) thinking went thus:

I was taught in parochial school ( & church 6 days/wk) that:

God knows/sees ALL.

I was encouraged to pray to God often for wants, gratitude, help. No middlemen required.

Enter the rationale of confession:

I am to tell a priest/stranger *everything*, including 'indulging in self-pleasure and other sexual things, if any (which struck me as perverse). The priest:

1. Knows not whether I'm lying, telling half-truths or omitting sins - because he isn't God.

2. Has no clue whether I'm sorry for whatever it is that I do tell him - because he isn't God.

3. Gives me 'penance' (not in Bible) of repetitive prayer (useless per the Bible) based on some personal preference of how serious *he* finds my sins against God.

4. Then has the audacity to tell me, "By the Power invested in me by God....your sins are forgiven." I didin't know what kind of indoctrination they had to go through in order to believe it themselves - but I didn't. To me, they were just men, not God. Only God can forgive sins.

My conclusion was that since God knew what I did and whether I was sorry for it or not - the two of us could handle things just fine.

Guess things got crowded (or likely too uncomfortable <g>) because then I became agnostic - and it was just me chastizing or approving little ole me. :D Oddly, one of the hardest slogans in AA for me to 'get' was: "There is a God and I'm not it." I thought it terribly silly, "Who in the world goes around thinking they are God?!" I kid you not that it took at least a year of working the spiritual path of AA before the light shone through that particur blind spot.

The 5th Step in AA is .... confession. Took me 4 years and coming to a 'jumping off' point to find the willingness to Trust AA to that degree and JUST DO IT.

And found the Holy Ghost, beyond doubt, 24/7. Whatta deal! :)

After you were baptized, hands were placed on your head and you were confirmed a member of the church and given the gift of the Holy Ghost. This means you have a special connection to the Holy Ghost, because of that covenant you made so many years ago. He was just waiting for you to take advantage of that gift. So, you are very correct that the Holy Ghost is with you 24/7.

Edited by bytebear

After you were baptized, hands were placed on your head and you were confirmed a member of the church and given the gift of the Holy Ghost. This means you have a special connection to the Holy Ghost, because of that covenant you made so many years ago. He was just waiting for you to take advantage of that gift. So, you are very correct that the Holy Ghost is with you 24/7.

I know, from experience, that there is a much more profound *experience* of the Holy Ghost possible for those who come to confession from a different angle and with spiritual awareness. We are all meant to Know this 'Fixed Point' for ourselves. To make *conscious contact* with the Holy Ghost and have direct communication thereafter. In order to be *led*, I need to Know my Leader personally.

I am not saying this is the only way to discover the Presence of the Holy Ghost - as some have white-light and near-death experiences, as well as many other 'singular-event' experiences. However, I am saying that confession is the one place that *all* of us may find the Holy Ghost.

Forgiveness is Divine. The Source manifests Within us when we confess with a contrite heart. "Repentance is that sorrow for sin which results in newness of life."

"An apprehension of the mercy of God is laying hold of the mercy of God in Christ--not merely knowing that there is mercy with God in Christ, but a personal appropriation or laying hold (experience) of that mercy for ourselves. A drowning man is not saved merely by knowing that a rope has been thrown from the ship for his rescue, but by his apprehending or laying hold of it for himself; and so it is with the sinner whose repentance is brought about, not by vague notions that God so loved the world, but by his personal appropriation of God's love for himself." (Significant Entymology - Mitchell James)