Tithing Question

Lakumi

So sometimes I sell things, usually old video games I pick up at garage sales or magic the gathering cards. It's very random when I do that, as it is mere chance I come across these things. Question is, would you put that in the say weekly tithe (I would pay weekly since I get paid weekly) or is it it's own thing and paid separately?

What do you think?

Gains are gains, regardless of where you got the gain from. There's no church accountant that needs you to tabulate all your gains in separate categories. It all goes under one tithing bucket that you give to the church. You can pay once a year on all your gains if you like as long as it is paid before you sit with your bishop for tithing settlement.

So sometimes I sell things, usually old video games I pick up at garage sales or magic the gathering cards. It's very random when I do that, as it is mere chance I come across these things. Question is, would you put that in the say weekly tithe (I would pay weekly since I get paid weekly) or is it it's own thing and paid separately?

What do you think?

I think if you really cannot figure it out - try an experiment and pay tithing to see if there is a spiritual benefit. If you are not sure if you understand spiritual benefits - this would be a very fun and educational spiritual experiment for you.

The Traveler

I think if you really cannot figure it out - try an experiment and pay tithing to see if there is a spiritual benefit. If you are not sure if you understand spiritual benefits - this would be a very fun and educational spiritual experiment for you.

The Traveler

I think you are right, I enjoy trying new things

Lakumi,

I found that tithing helped me budget my money better and realize what I was spending my extra funds on. I also found I had more money than I realized.

yeah unless I have something planned I usually am just paying off the credit card or buying random junk

I don't have any bills. Example last week I only worked 8 hours and made a pathetic 65 dollars and change...I mean I make next to nothing anyways (not enough to live on, even here where the rent is extremely low)

What's 10% of that? less then 5 dollars?

I probably spent that on lemonade or pepsi lol

Luckily you don't have any bills. It would be hard for me to be paid only $65 dollars. 10% would be $6.50.

Before tithing, I would have spent more money on eating lunch and dinners out. I also spent lots of money on sweet ice tea, soda pop, and lemonade.

yeah I'd not bother working for such miniscule amounts.

If a job doesn't support me, does it have any real worth? I'm 24, I don't see myself at this nonsense for long tbh

6.50? Man they'd hate all the small cheques they'd get from me (as I understand it could cost more to cash them then they're worth)

at that point I'd pay monthly so as to not make the church loose money

If a job doesn't support me, does it have any real worth? I'm 24, I don't see myself at this nonsense for long tbh

6.50? Man they'd hate all the small cheques they'd get from me (as I understand it could cost more to cash them then they're worth)

I pay my tithing in cash because I don't keep a checkbook. It is also how little children pay tithing.

yeah unless I have something planned I usually am just paying off the credit card or buying random junk

I don't have any bills. Example last week I only worked 8 hours and made a pathetic 65 dollars and change...I mean I make next to nothing anyways (not enough to live on, even here where the rent is extremely low)

What's 10% of that? less then 5 dollars?

I probably spent that on lemonade or pepsi lol

Isn't a credit card a bill? :P

Yes, it does.

I've paid tithing on less, it's the principle of the thing, not the actual monetary worth. Sort of like how a job has more value than a pay check in experience building, skill building, show future employers your discipline, and etc...

I've paid tithing on less, it's the principle of the thing, not the actual monetary worth. Sort of like how a job has more value than a pay check in experience building, skill building, show future employers your discipline, and etc...

This, Lakumi, is why working is important even if it doesn't fully support you. You're gaining necessary life skills and experience. And how do you think you will ever get to a job that does support you without starting somewhere?

Also, do you think you should get to just sit on your butt while someone else works hard to give you the money for things like your hobbies? Your dolls?

This, Lakumi, is why working is important even if it doesn't fully support you. You're gaining necessary life skills and experience. And how do you think you will ever get to a job that does support you without starting somewhere?

Also, do you think you should get to just sit on your butt while someone else works hard to give you the money for things like your hobbies? Your dolls?

no, but there are some jobs that don't give me any skills persay (detassiling corn or moving carts -both things I have done, come to mind).

I've been working since I was 10, full time since 17.

What I have noticed in the past few years is the less money and hours one gets from jobs. So many are part time now, least the ones that are open to me (can't go to school since I got no money).

Once upon a time work was enjoyable, now its a torment, I am in pain a lot of the time and they treat you like a slave.

And I very well could just sit on my butt, being mentally disabled I qualify for government assistance money or something- I donno what its called, I have pride, too much... and some days, most days, after my employers get mad because I am not working fast enough because they never trained me and its my first week... wonder why.

I am not gaining life skills working in these minimum wage junk jobs, I am being sucked dry and given the lowest they can legally pay me and nothing else.

I've paid tithing on less, it's the principle of the thing, not the actual monetary worth.

And I think that is something that Lakumi consistently misses with his, "Oh, my income is so small the Church wouldn't want my tithing on it." comments. Considering the blessings associated with paying tithing it boggles the mind that somewhere the Church is sitting there thinking, "The widow wants to keep the Law of Tithing, sacrifice for the Lord, and receive the blessings associated with obedience to the Law of Tithing by paying her mite? To bad, it's a pain to process."

Edited by Dravin

What do you think?

Yes, on any gain.

And I think that is something that Lakumi consistently misses with his, "Oh, my income is so small the Church wouldn't want my tithing on it." comments. Considering the blessings associated with paying tithing it boggles the mind that somewhere the Church is sitting there thinking, "The widow wants to keep the Law of Tithing, sacrifice for the Lord, and receive the blessings associated with obedience to the Law of Tithing by paying her mite? To bad, it's a pain to process."

The widow wasn't tithing, she was making an offering. She probably wouldn't have met the requirement to tithe under the law either.

The widow wasn't tithing, she was making an offering.

While I was making an allusion to the Widow's mite I was not literally talking about the Widow and her mite referenced in the Bible. I'm quite aware that she wasn't paying tithing. I made the allusion because she is a direct contradiction to the idea that small, in absolute terms, sacrifices aren't appreciated by the Lord.

She probably wouldn't have met the requirement to tithe under the law either.

What requirements are those? Membership and income/increase?

Edited by Dravin

While I was making an allusion to the Widow's mite I was not literally talking about the Widow and her mite referenced in the Bible. I'm quite aware that she wasn't paying tithing. I made the allusion because she is a direct contradiction to the idea that small sacrifices aren't appreciated by the Lord.

So why mention it in the first place?