Rev. Jerry Falwell Dead At 73

Maureen

In some ways, Jerry Falwell is to Mormonism what Mitt Romney is to evangelicalism. Falwell reached across theological divides, and united with LDS members to address social issues in the public square. For his actions, many criticized Falwell.

See example: http://www.tbaptist.com/aab/moralmajority.htm

And from a 1980 Time magazine article: Falwell's spiritual breakthrough, however, was accompanied by a political innovation. Instead of being comprised simply of fundamentalists and other conservative Protestants, Falwell opened the Moral Majority up to everyone: Jews, Catholics and Mormons — in short, the very people (and faiths) that fundamentalists had been separating themselves from for generations. That was Falwell's greatest political discovery: he understood that fundamentalists, orthodox Jews, conservative Catholics and Mormons had so much in common politically that they could overlook their theological differences.

So, now we've come full circle. Candidate Romney is currying favor with the likes of James Dobson and Pat Robertson, and seeks an equally interfaith socially conservative support base.

The parallels are interesting.

Personally, Falwell's theology is a mixed product. Fundamental Baptists are generally very negative about pentecostalism. Yet, as a teenager in the late 70s and early 80s, Falwell was a hero, reminding us that we are not a small minority in this great land, and that we do not reliquish our citizenship rights when we bow the knee to the Sovereign of the universe.

I'll miss him, and I am thankful for what he did.

Well, my heart is extended to his family and loved ones. I am certain they need little reassurance that they will see him again. In times of passing, the LDS always take place to remind the bereaved of the literal resurrection of the Saviour and the utlimate universal resurrection of mankind that will be brought about through Jesus' wonderful work.

His passing was appointed and is all part of the work of God, and there is no doubt he will continue to do much work in the LORD beyond the veil.

-a-train

<div class='quotemain'>

Rev. Jerry Falwell dead at 73

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/15/jerry.falwell/index.html

M.

This may be a silly question, but how did you get the #1 post on a topic I started??? :dontknow:

Oh, now I see. I was trying to start a string entitled "Rev. Falwell dead"--and somehow ended up as #2 on this string instead. I was sure this was the one I set up to start--but now see that it is not. What can I say...I'm slowing down in my old age. :blush:

Guest mamacat

In some ways, Jerry Falwell is to Mormonism what Mitt Romney is to evangelicalism. Falwell reached across theological divides, and united with LDS members to address social issues in the public square. For his actions, many criticized Falwell.

See example: http://www.tbaptist.com/aab/moralmajority.htm

And from a 1980 Time magazine article: Falwell's spiritual breakthrough, however, was accompanied by a political innovation. Instead of being comprised simply of fundamentalists and other conservative Protestants, Falwell opened the Moral Majority up to everyone: Jews, Catholics and Mormons — in short, the very people (and faiths) that fundamentalists had been separating themselves from for generations. That was Falwell's greatest political discovery: he understood that fundamentalists, orthodox Jews, conservative Catholics and Mormons had so much in common politically that they could overlook their theological differences.

So, now we've come full circle. Candidate Romney is currying favor with the likes of James Dobson and Pat Robertson, and seeks an equally interfaith socially conservative support base.

The parallels are interesting.

Personally, Falwell's theology is a mixed product. Fundamental Baptists are generally very negative about pentecostalism. Yet, as a teenager in the late 70s and early 80s, Falwell was a hero, reminding us that we are not a small minority in this great land, and that we do not reliquish our citizenship rights when we bow the knee to the Sovereign of the universe.

I'll miss him, and I am thankful for what he did.

i appreciate all this insight that you've shared here Prison Chaplain. i don't know very much about Jerry Falwell. why are fundamental baptists negative about pentacostalism?

Well, my heart is extended to his family and loved ones. I am certain they need little reassurance that they will see him again. In times of passing, the LDS always take place to remind the bereaved of the literal resurrection of the Saviour and the utlimate universal resurrection of mankind that will be brought about through Jesus' wonderful work.

His passing was appointed and is all part of the work of God, and there is no doubt he will continue to do much work in the LORD beyond the veil.

-a-train

a-train ~ these are awesome thoughts. i love what you say about the work that he will continue to do beyond the veil. thanks for reminding us of these things, esp about the resurrection. :thumbsup:

i appreciate all this insight that you've shared here Prison Chaplain. i don't know very much about Jerry Falwell. why are fundamental baptists negative about pentacostalism?

They strongly believe that the Bible is our essential source for all Christian teaching--that it is "that which is perfect which was to come." (1 Cor 13)

Thus, they argue that the age of miracles and spiritual gifts ended with the apostles. The Bible was complete, we have perfect knowledge, we no longer need signs and wonders. Since Pentecostals believe God speaks through gifts of tongues and interpretations, as well as through prophetic utterances, they see us as having a source for revelation other than the Bible.

Furthermore, the most stringent of them take the stance that if the tongues pentecostals speak is not of God (since it has ceased, in their view), they are of the Devil. It does not help that Charismatic practices now take place in the Catholic Church (a whole different post--most Fundamentalists believe that the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon mentioned in Revelation).

"Jerry Falwell dead at 73" Who cares, one less insensitive bible ponder.

Sorry I had a cousin who went to his University he came back seeing the whole thing a a money grabbing racket diseased as the work of the Lord. :pope:

He said he meet more un-christ like people there diseased as Christens, :conscience: teaching intolerance for their fellow man. :disclaimer:

So again who cares <_<

I kinda got mad that when the announcement was made on CNN they refered to him as the founder of "the so-called Moral Majority". Wonder if it were the leader of NARAL or some other liberal group the term "so-called" would be used?

Of course this morning when the topic of the Republican debates last night came up it seemed like the spin was to make Romney look like he came off bad and the Democrat from NY (opps, republican) Guliani was so outstanding and courageous for taking a pro-abortion stand.

CNN does seem quite biased.

Maybe I don't know alot about the man but he seemed really hatful to me. He had a real problem with gay people and I don't think is was the practice as much as the people. The man boycotted The Teletubies because he said the purple one was gay. He did the same thing to Wal Disney because of there "gay day".

Don't get me wrong I am not for the gay lifestyle or anything. I just think a "man of God" should renounce the practise. Not try to force people to believe what he does.

I know that may sound very insentive about someone who just died but that is how I feel.

I feel that he was corupting the sacredness of Christaianity with his hate.

But I do feel for his family at this time of there loss.....I feel for anyone who does not know the Plan of Salvation.

"Jerry Falwell dead at 73" Who cares, one less insensitive bible ponder.

Sorry I had a cousin who went to his University he came back seeing the whole thing a a money grabbing racket diseased as the work of the Lord. :pope:

He said he meet more un-christ like people there diseased as Christens, :conscience: teaching intolerance for their fellow man. :disclaimer:

So again who cares <_<

Well done for speaking out against the majority view Winne and RyanH. I must admit that I'm a little cowardly when it comes to speaking out if I think the majority might be offended by my views.

Now that you two have led the way, I feel prompted to make the post I was gonna make last night when I first read Maureen's OP.

'Falwell wanted 20 more years

One week before his death, Falwell told CNN's Christiane Amanpour he needed at least 20 more years to accomplish his vision for Liberty University. (Watch Falwell explain why he wanted '20 more years' )

Falwell told the story of Hezekiah, who in the Bible asked to live for 15 more years.

"I'm praying the same prayer with an option to renew," Falwell said.'

My thoughts after reading this, was 'God certainly does move in mysterious ways!' Perhaps there was a reason that he wasn't allowed to live his further 20 years! B)

Maybe I don't know alot about the man but he seemed really hatful to me. He had a real problem with gay people and I don't think is was the practice as much as the people.

Interestingly, Falwell hosted a contingent from Soulforce (a "gay Christian" activist group) at his church, for the purpose of open dialogue. Falwell has been picketed by Westboro Baptist Church (Rev. Phelps) for saying God loves sinners, but hates sin.

The man boycotted The Teletubies because he said the purple one was gay.

That was funny, and he quickly recanted.

He did the same thing to Wal Disney because of there "gay day".

Quite a few church organizations boycotted Disney for a season, wondering why a private "family-friendly" entity would go out of its way to promote a lifestyle that so many view as immoral. Ultimately, the boycotts proved fruitless.

Don't get me wrong I am not for the gay lifestyle or anything. I just think a "man of God" should renounce the practise. Not try to force people to believe what he does.

And again, Falwell practiced a strong balance, imho. He hated the sin, lobbied against increasing acceptance of sin as normal, moral, and inevitable for some. Nevertheless, he dialogued with the gay community, and denounced the hatefulness of some, who saw no need to "love the sinner."

I know that may sound very insentive about someone who just died but that is how I feel.

I feel that he was corupting the sacredness of Christaianity with his hate.

And, I contend that your feelings are based on an incomplete, and ultimate inaccurate understanding of the man.