Your Favorite Burger

Quin

We're having Round#1 of "We're sick of winter" parties at my parents ... Which means its Burgers & punches. (Round 2 is Latin Food & Virgin Margaritas).

So I'm schlepping to the store with everyone's lists of ingredients for their burgers this year, which means I'm collecting emails with ingredient listings.

Beef, Bison, Lamb, Turkey, Chicken, & Portobello mushrooms are all on my list.

Sadly, the game store is late on their shipment of wallabies, so no wallaby burgers this time.

No one makes their burgers in the same way.

How bout y'all?

How do you make yours?

I do a couple different ones, but this smorgasburger I'm doing turkey.

Ground turkey

Ground turkey skin

Olive oil

Santa Maria Seasoning (essentially garlic, salt, & pepper)

Smash all together in a ziplock bag and let sit for awhile.

Then patty up.

Served on a kaiser roll with

Tomato Jam

Tomato

Purple onion

Spinach

Avocado

Q

I go to Snyder bros meat market and pick up garlic burgers add cheese and turkey bacon on gluten free bread.

I like to experiment with my burgers when I go out, that's why I like places like Cheese Burgers in Paradise or Red Robin when they often have a promotional burger I can try out or I can pick something out of several options I find appealing depending on mood. If options are limited while eating out I tend to go with a black and bleu burger. At home I tend to do black and green burgers (gorgonzola instead of bleu cheese). Bacon if in the mood, and avocado if on sale, hold the mayonnaise and ketchup*, with good mustard, lettuce, and tomato if garden fresh. Onion depends on if there is left over onion sitting in the fridge, I'm disinclined to cut up an onion just for burgers unless I'm hosting. The buns tend to be Sandwich thins.

*If it's a flavored mayonnaise on a restaurant burger I'll generally give them the benefit of the doubt if the flavoring sounds interesting enough and order it with. If it's just plain old mayonnaise though I ask them to hold it. I also deal with ketchup under similar conditions except the standard for it sounding interesting is higher.

Edited by Dravin

I keep it slippery--mayo, ketchup, cheese, and--if I feel so inclined--bacon and/or a fried, runny egg.

I do mix minced onion, garlic salt, and seasoning salt into the beef before making up the patty, though.

And Pam--between the two of us, as members of the Californian diaspora in Utah, I'm surprised at you. How can you let a burger thread get three pages long without mentioning the only thing California exports that people actually want--In 'N Out Burger?

How can you let a burger thread get three pages long without mentioning the only thing California exports that people actually want--In 'N Out Burger?

At the risk of starting a holy war, In-N-Out Burger, while being better than something like McDonald's is mediocre and their fries are terrible (in my opinion). Though to be fair it's possible that's just the American Fork location dishonoring their legacy.

Edited by Dravin

At the risk of starting a holy war, In-N-Out Burger, while being better than something like McDonald's is mediocre and their fries are terrible (in my opinion). Though to be fair it's possible that's just the American Fork location dishonoring their legacy.

Utah sucks at In-n-Out big time. When I lived there every time they would mess up my food!

And when it comes to their fries you have to have them done medium-light. It makes them slightly more crispy and so much better!

I've been more than pleased with the fries at the Ogden and Bountiful locations.

Though I do thinking "really? this is it?" at the American Fork one, so it might be them.

You are correct. In-N-Out-Burger has THE worst fries ever.

Cheese, bacon, and hamburger...and a little bit of ranch (or mustard, ketchup, and mayo). No lettuce, no tomatoes, no onions (no matter the color), and especially NO MUSHROOMS. Mushrooms don't belong on anything, especially hamburgers! :P

Blasphemy! Mushrooms belong on almost everything: burgers, omelets, pasta of all forms, soups, the list is endless.

As far as burgers: I love one with pepper jack cheese, fried onion strings, bacon and either chipolte ketchup or bbq sauce.

As far as In-n-Out been there once and will never ever go back -- burger was sub par even for a fast food joint, fries were Terrible with a capital T, service was extremely slow and packaging was ridiculous.

Edited by mnn727