How do you "drown your sorrows"?

Backroads

Treating a chemical imbalance in the brain is not equal to using alcohol for recreational purposes (or self-medication). Depression is a real illness, requiring real treatment, even medication. I believe comments like yours show a lack of understanding of the very real effects of mental illnesses, please have some compassion for your brothers and sisters in their challenges and not assume that they are using medication for a spurious reason.

If there was ever any doubt regarding the appropriateness of medication for mental illness (and I don't believe there was) Elder Holland made it clear last conference "If you had appendicitis, God would expect you to seek a priesthood blessing and get the best medical care available. So too with emotional disorders."

Firstly I have just spent the last 6 months slowly tapering off Anti depressants so i don't lack to much understanding in the area of medication for depression. Yes it was very difficult. Do you know how hard it is to cut 10% off one of those small tablets each week not to mention the various withdrawls that come from it. My original point wasn't targeted towards those on medication. Of course there is a need for it and the needs are as varied as there are medications. Im also quite aware that there are many on this forum who could attest to the benefits of medication and yes i have read Jeffery r Holland talk multiple times.

My comment was one of thought not attack otherwise i would be attacking myself.

Unlike one of my clients the other day who said they were going home to have a cup of wine after a difficult day to relax. That option isn't available to me. So the OP's question is a very good one. Statistic say Mormons maybe struggling to know how to chill ( if i can put it that way)

The op talked about feeling blue, not any meantal illness or stress from something that happened in the past. Sorry if i have offended anyone through my lack of not expressing myself clearly.

Edited by Drpepper

So, I sort of spent the morning attached to the computer hoping for my free stuff list of no limits to update.

I was already feeling very blue because of the carbon monoxide detector post, and five minutes before the aforementioned list did pop up I received a rejection letter pertaining to something I submitted like eight months ago.

I blame my blue state on me going way overboard on my list, because my emergency storage now has a big influx of toothbrushes and shampoo.

Apparently, I do have the seed of a shopoholic in me.

DOes anyone else have any bad habits?

I get into bed and listen to general conference. I get a detective novel from the library. I do things for people eg when it is raining I carry an extra umbrella and give one away. I walk a friend's dog. I hug a stuffed animal. I call one of the older ladies in the ward.

It really depends...

Sometimes I just need my alone time and a good pillow to soak up the tears and work the sorrows out of my system. When it comes to this scriptures and prayers are also helpful for me. If I am having a particularly bad time I focus on getting more sleep and ensuring my nutrient status is up to par, especially B vitamins.

Usually I can just get a change of scenery to shake things off so I take my wife shopping, because it is easier than convincing her to go for a walk with me, not to mention I like to be indoors during the half of the year that is cold and dark. My wife is also a great sounding board so I can often discuss things with her and it is great to know that even if we don't always agree that she can understand my perspective.

As opposed to drowning sorrows I find physical activity more useful for working off frustration than sorrow, but even then often all I need is a change of pace to get out of a rut (a sorrow rut, not a work-out rut)

I guess it just depends if we are talking about the occasional doldroms of life or the (hopefully) very infrequent true sorrows.

When I was having one of darkest times in my life I gave up writing in my journal because I didn't want to remember feeling that way. At a later time that was worse I found that journaling helped me understand myself and resolve my issues to return to my mood-homeostasis.

Being an Anglican there's nothing to stop me drowning my sorrows in the traditional manner.

Not that I drink alcohol very often. (The cost alone is enough to keep me on the wagon.) Failing that I guess there's always books and music - expecially T.S. Eliot and Wagner - and Ronald Searle.

"Reality," sa molesworth 2, "is so unspeakably sordid it make me shudder!"

Me too.

Edited by Jamie123