Portraits of LDS women leaders...

Maureen

“Conversations about giving more visibility to women have been going on for some years," LDS Church spokeswoman Jessica Moody said. "The decision to have the sister leaders of the church be more visible in the Conference Center is just one outcome of those conversations.”

Portraits of LDS women leaders hang in Conference Center for first time | Deseret News

M.

“Conversations about giving more visibility to women have been going on for some years," LDS Church spokeswoman Jessica Moody said. "The decision to have the sister leaders of the church be more visible in the Conference Center is just one outcome of those conversations.”

Portraits of LDS women leaders hang in Conference Center for first time | Deseret News

M.

This is the same spokesperson who addressed the recent letter toward the Ordain Women group. She's also the first time I've ever heard note of a female spokesperson for the Church. All of these things make me happy.

This is the same spokesperson who addressed the recent letter toward the Ordain Women group. She's also the first time I've ever heard note of a female spokesperson for the Church. All of these things make me happy.

There have been for awhile now. Ruth Todd who was an anchor on a local Utah station has been a spokewoman for the church and heard from frequently in the last few years.

There have been for awhile now. Ruth Todd who was an anchor on a local Utah station has been a spokewoman for the church and heard from frequently in the last few years.

It was something I noticed when I read the news about the recent letter, and I remember specifically noting the female name. I figured it was a deliberate move, but I also couldn't remember ever having noticed it before. Either way, I'm glad to see it. Women in Church PR certainly can't hurt the feminist movement(s) within the Church.

For a long time, the only name I ever saw in press releases was Scott Trotter. It's only been in the last two or three years that I've started to see names other than his. Now it's very often Michael Otterson, which is totally understandable, since he's the public affairs managing director.

Me too. We have a couple of female spokespersons but to be honest it was just a PR move ;) Otherwise people will start saying: "See? it is a man who is replying this letter, etc".

Me too. We have a couple of female spokespersons but to be honest it was just a PR move ;) Otherwise people will start saying: "See? it is a man who is replying this letter, etc".

Oh, it was absolutely a deliberate strategic move that Sister Moody is the one to have been the face of the letter to the Ordain Women group. But I think it was the right move. I think it demonstrates that it wasn't an outright dismissal. Her letter was sympathetic and kind. And it is hard for anyone to suggest that they were being struck down by "the man." I'm just pleased that the Church seems to be increasing visibility of women.

It was something I noticed when I read the news about the recent letter, and I remember specifically noting the female name. I figured it was a deliberate move, but I also couldn't remember ever having noticed it before. Either way, I'm glad to see it. Women in Church PR certainly can't hurt the feminist movement(s) within the Church.

The OW movement itself seems to think it can. Just yesterday I came across a blog post (which I won't link to here) condemning Moody's role as an example of "colonization", which I think is a scholarly way of calling her an Uncle Tom.

The OW movement itself seems to think it can. Just yesterday I came across a blog post (which I won't link to here) condemning Moody's role as an example of "colonization", which I think is a scholarly way of calling her an Uncle Tom.

And this is one of the things that bugs me about the group: A woman who disagrees with their agenda is a traitor.

And this is one of the things that bugs me about the group: A woman who disagrees with their agenda is a traitor.

That's too bad. Like I've said before, I think that -- in general -- the members of the OW group have righteous desires in their hearts, but I think they're going about realizing those desires in the wrong way. Well, I don't know about wrong, but...maybe just not the best way.

Actually, this part of this conversation reminds me of a scene in the episode of The West Wing entitled "The Stackhouse Filibuster"...read below. The line in bold is what I thought of specifically.

(Josh, Leo, and Sam are all very senior staffers, male. CJ is the press secretary, female.)

JOSH

We got the Family Wellness Act.

LEO

It's done?

JOSH

Yes, sir.

LEO

What'd we get, what'd we lose?

JOSH

We got most of what we wanted in Title VII.

C.J.

That's infant hearing loss?

JOSH

Yeah, we got a hearing test for every child born in the U.S.

SAM

What about...?

JOSH

We did not get mandatory tests for children not born in hospitals.

SAM

We can live with that.

LEO

The Special Needs Adoption Awareness program?

JOSH

Right, this is a national campaign to provide information to the public regarding the

adoption of special needs children.

LEO

How'd we get it?

JOSH

By agreeing to a provision that would require health care staff to give pregnant women

information about adoption on an equal basis with all other courses of action.

C.J.

National Organization for Women's gonna hate that.

JOSH

I know.

C.J.

Women seeking abortions should not be required by law to be lectured at.

JOSH

Yeah, but you're gonna help me out there, right?

C.J.

Yes, I will. I will once again and betray the sisterhood.

Josh and the other men look down with small smiles.

C.J.

[pointing to each] Okay, I saw you, you, you, and you roll your eyes.

LARRY

You weren't even looking at me.

C.J.

I felt you.

Aww, I wanted to talk about OW too.

Back to the OP, I'm sorry it's taken us this long to get something as simple as having pictures of women leaders displayed, but glad that it's now happening anyway.

And on a frivolous note, only because I'm really tired and not concentrating because it's way past my bedtime... I do LOVE the colours of all those suits in photos, every woman looks so vibrant.