Ministering of Angels

andypg

So I read D&C 13 that reads: "Upon you my fellow servants, in the name of Messiah I confer the Priesthood of Aaron, which holds the keys of the ministering of angels, and of the gospel of repentance, and of baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; and this shall never be taken again from the earth, until the sons of Levi do offer again an offering unto the Lord in righteousness."

What does John mean by "ministering of angels" and have the keys of the ministering of angels? How does it apply to the Aaronic priesthood?

President Hinckley said this:

Think of it, my dear young brethren. This priesthood which you hold carries with it the keys of the ministering of angels. That means, as I interpret it, that if you live worthy of the priesthood, you have the right to receive and enjoy the very power of heavenly beings to guide you, to protect you, to bless you. What boy, if he is thoughtful, would not welcome this remarkable blessing?

Angels are those of us who have a greater knowledge of the Kingdom of God tasked with aiding the Holy Ghost under the Holy Ghost's power as comforters. These can be the great angels like Michael or heavenly beings like Moroni or Peter or our faithful ancestors who have passed on and is working in the Spirit World to further the work of the Plan of Our Salvation.

The Aaronic Priesthood holds the keys to ask for these angels to minister to us in the same manner that they hold the keys to seek special blessings (healing, comfort, sacramental blessings, etc.) from the Holy Ghost.

So, bridging this with your Catholic backround - it is in the same vein as prayers of intercession of the saints but with more of a power (a right) to it than just prayer. Make sense?

Edited by anatess

The ministering of angels is given to all those who worthily partake of the sacrament and commit in their heart to follow the son and keep the promises. It is through the Aaronic priesthood that this promise is given but it is extended to all members of the church. Please note that angels minister on a very regular basis and are mostly unseen. Elder Dallin H. Oaks said it in these words:

As explained earlier, through the Aaronic Priesthood ordinances of baptism and the sacrament, we are cleansed of our sins and promised that if we keep our covenants we will always have His Spirit to be with us. I believe that promise not only refers to the Holy Ghost but also to the ministering of angels, for “angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ” (2 Ne. 32:3). So it is that those who hold the Aaronic Priesthood open the door for all Church members who worthily partake of the sacrament to enjoy the companionship of the Spirit of the Lord and the ministering of angels.https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1998/10/the-aaronic-priesthood-and-the-sacrament?lang=eng

So I read D&C 13 that reads: "Upon you my fellow servants, in the name of Messiah I confer the Priesthood of Aaron, which holds the keys of the ministering of angels, and of the gospel of repentance, and of baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; and this shall never be taken again from the earth, until the sons of Levi do offer again an offering unto the Lord in righteousness."

What does John mean by "ministering of angels" and have the keys of the ministering of angels? How does it apply to the Aaronic priesthood?

My personal understanding is two fold.

The first is as stated. To open up greater understanding of beings sent by G-d to guide us. Mostly we think of such beings as of other worlds. This bring me to my second point in the two fold understanding and that is that the keys of administering angels can also be other mortals like ourselves but that have received divine commission through the Aaronic Priesthood. I would note that a bishop is the presiding priest of the Aaronic Priesthood and as such can be a great asset for guidance (being administered to). Thus I see the keys of administering angels being fulfilled in Bishops, home teachers and others called to guide the saints through the keys of the priesthood. In truth I see these keys being a blessing to both men and women and that women can as well be administering angels under the umbrella of the keys of the Aaronic Priesthood.

The Traveler

far as I know if you've kept yourself worthy and keep yourself inline with God's will, you can call down angels, if such is necessary.

President Hinckley said this:

Think of it, my dear young brethren. This priesthood which you hold carries with it the keys of the ministering of angels. That means, as I interpret it, that if you live worthy of the priesthood, you have the right to receive and enjoy the very power of heavenly beings to guide you, to protect you, to bless you. What boy, if he is thoughtful, would not welcome this remarkable blessing?

Excellent quote

You do not have to have "aaronic priesthood" to have angels minister.They are only associated with the ORDER of the Aaronic Priesthood. Both male and female may experience these messengers.

Moroni 7

25 Wherefore, by the ministering of angels, and by every word which proceeded forth out of the mouth of God, men began to exercise faith in Christ; and thus by faith, they did lay hold upon every good thing; and thus it was until the coming of Christ.

This is their mission to increase Faith. There are two things required.

29 And because he hath done this, my beloved brethren, have miracles ceased? Behold I say unto you, Nay; neither have angels ceased to minister unto the children of men.

30 For behold, they are subject unto him, to minister according to the word of his command, showing themselves unto them of strong faith and a firm mind in every form of godliness.

The word "keys" in that scripture in the OP is used as "knowledge".

36 Or have angels ceased to appear unto the children of men? Or has he withheld the power of the Holy Ghost from them? Or will he, so long as time shall last, or the earth shall stand, or there shall be one man upon the face thereof to be saved?

37 Behold I say unto you, Nay; for it is by faith that miracles are wrought; and it is by faith that angels appear and minister unto men; wherefore, if these things have ceased wo be unto the children of men, for it is because of unbelief, and all is vain.

So why is it associated with "Aaron"?

ORDER:

a : a group of people united in a formal way: as (1) : a fraternal society

a : a rank, class, or special group in a community or society

Three orders

Order of the angels (Sons of Aaron, Aarnoic, angels minister or "ministry of angels")

Order of the Son (Sons of Moses, Than Christ ministers)

Order of the Father (Sons of man, Than he presents you to the Father and they take up their abode with you)

Angels speak by the power of the holy Ghost.

3 Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do.

Last lecture of the Lectures on Faith states.

-By their faith they could obtain heavenly visions, the ministering of angels, have knowledge of the spirits of just men made perfect, of the general assembly and church of the first born, whose names are written in heaven, of God the judge of all, of Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and become familiar with the third heavens, see and hear things which were not only unutterable, but were unlawful to utter.

You do not have to have "aaronic priesthood" to have angels minister.They are only associated with the ORDER of the Aaronic Priesthood. Both male and female may experience these messengers.

Moroni 7

This is their mission to increase Faith. There are two things required.

The word "keys" in that scripture in the OP is used as "knowledge".

So why is it associated with "Aaron"?

Three orders

Order of the angels (Sons of Aaron, Aarnoic, angels minister or "ministry of angels")

Order of the Son (Sons of Moses, Than Christ ministers)

Order of the Father (Sons of man, Than he presents you to the Father and they take up their abode with you)

Angels speak by the power of the holy Ghost.

Last lecture of the Lectures on Faith states.

I believe the difference here is having the authority to do such and such a thing. No idea what nuances that entails or if there is anything that is 100% exclusive to one camp or the other. (I can't think of anything that is 100% exclusive to one side or the other, save perhaps representing God and Christ and having your works sealed/confirmed in heaven and on earth)

The same can be said of obtaining revelations, miracles, the holy ghost, healing and etc. People that have the faith can obtain the same without having the priesthood.. if they have sufficient faith to do so.

I know a couple people who have been visited by angels, one wasn't in our church at the time, and the other was called by the faith of a mother.

• 2 months later...

Hi! I just joined lds.net a few minutes ago. I was finishing up the Book of Mormon tonight and read Moroni 10:14. I have read the Book of Mormon many times. This is the first time I noticed this verse. I read the verse a few more times and was inspired to get out of bed and research, "beholding of angels and ministering spirits". I was led here, of course. I have become obsessed with angels and ministering spirits. I feel them around me quite often. Sometimes I call them forth and send them out to bring forth abundance into my life. I don't know if we are supposed to do that as Latter Day Saints? I asked my Stake President about this and he said to run everything through our Father in Heaven through prayer. So I do that now. However, I don't feel them around quite as much as I did when I was calling them forth. My question is: Is it appropriate to call them forth and send them out to bring forth abundance into our lives, if our intent is to use that abundance to benefit the Kingdom? Or should we pray and ask our Father in Heaven to grant us the abundance, according to His will regarding His Kingdom? Of course, the latter feels right, on paper... But the connection with angels is fun and exciting and quite satisfying! Not to diminish from prayer and our connection to our Father that way; but, I like exciting things and to "explore" and experience adventures. Angels and ministering spirits are quite adventurous and exciting! Thank you for your comments!