Priesthood Keys

Granted, FolkProphet, but I\'ve never been told that I\'m an equal partner with my bishop or stake president. In the one instance, we at least talk of theoretical equality; in the other, there\'s a clear hierarchy with a supervisor and a subordinate. I can visualize a situation at Church where I might say \"I respect your opinion, but this falls under my priesthood stewardship and I think this is the way it has to be\" with some degree of regularity. In eleven years of marriage, I think I\'ve used that line of argument twice--I felt (and still feel) that the instances were justified, but it was still a supremely uncomfortable experience that I hope never to repeat.

I had another thought so I'm quoting the same post twice here. I wanted to clarify -- I believe that presidencies should be run more like marriages, rather than the reverse. I also did some digging and came up with this, which implies an intended equality in presidencies.

D&C 90:6

And again, verily I say unto thy brethren, Sidney Rigdon and Frederick G. Williams, their sins are forgiven them also, and they are accounted as equal with thee in holding the keys of this last kingdom; (emphasis added).

Joseph F Smith interpreted it thus:

And so with the high priest who has been called to officiate in the First Presidency, in which case he is "accounted equal" with the President of the Church in holding the keys of the Presidency (section 90:6) as long as the President remains. When he dies, the calling of his counselors ends, and the responsibility of Presidency falls upon the quorum of Twelve Apostles, because they hold the Holy Melchizedek Priesthood and are the next quorum in authority.

Thank you for your thoughts so far.

I can't cite a clear quote that suggests men hold the keys of presidency in the family, although I'm sure I have heard as much. Furthermore it seems fitting that as the presiding authority in the home he would hold keys to that effect.

However we do know that for instance in the case of the relief society president, she has been given power and authority to officiate and regulate the relief society activities and visiting teaching assignments, but does not hold the keys of said presidency.

Thus it is also possible and perhaps even plausible that a husband does not hold the keys of presidency in the family, but holds the position of presiding out of respect and reverence.

Fathers do at the very least hold keys to bless their family as we can read here: https://www.lds.org/manual/duties-and-blessings-of-the-priesthood-basic-manual-for-priesthood-holders-part-b/priesthood-and-church-government/lesson-2-the-keys-of-the-priesthood?lang=eng

I've always been taught that Men are ordained the Priesthood and that a Woman holds the priesthood as a partner with her husband (sealed in the temple).  It is my understanding that men are given keys to preside in their homes and women hold those same keys.  It doesn't make a bit of sense to me that a father and mother wouldn't hold the priesthood keys necessary to take are of their home and family.  There has been too much said about Family by Prophets and Apostles to believe otherwise.  As an opposite example a bishop would not have the priesthood keys to preside in anyone's home but his own, even though he holds the keys to preside in the Ward. As women we don't exercise the priesthood in the same way as men do, but we do hold keys to the priesthood to preside in our homes, especially when our husbands are not present (single mother).

To think otherwise boggles my mind.

I've always been taught that Men are ordained the Priesthood and that a Woman holds the priesthood as a partner with her husband (sealed in the temple).  It is my understanding that men are given keys to preside in their homes and women hold those same keys.  It doesn't make a bit of sense to me that a father and mother wouldn't hold the priesthood keys necessary to take are of their home and family.  There has been too much said about Family by Prophets and Apostles to believe otherwise.  As an opposite example a bishop would not have the priesthood keys to preside in anyone's home but his own, even though he holds the keys to preside in the Ward. As women we don't exercise the priesthood in the same way as men do, but we do hold keys to the priesthood to preside in our homes, especially when our husbands are not present (single mother).

To think otherwise boggles my mind.

What you're talking about is authority, and in that regard, to think otherwise does boggle the mind. But the term "keys" are most often related to priesthood offices and are a specific term to such. Whereas we can (and sometimes do and have) use the word "keys" interchangeably with authority, it is not necessarily inaccurate to say parents have keys to their take care of their home...but realistically, they have those same "keys" regardless of priesthood. By virtue of having a child together they have that authority. The priesthood is not necessary for them to have that authority. Tell me what a home with an ordained priesthood male can do that a home without cannot? Heal the sick? No. Miracles happen by faith, and the prayer of a single mother is as valid in faith to healing the sick as a priesthood blessing. Revelation? Guidance from the Lord? All of these things come by the Spirit and by faith. So what "keys" are we talking about in the home that fathers (and mothers) have by virtue of the priesthood?

Generally speaking, when talking about priesthood keys, almost every reference I've read, speaks of them in terms of specific offices in the priesthood, and that cannot be applied to home. And usage of the word in that regard is perfectly reasonable without mind-boggling. So I both agree with you and disagree.:)

What you're talking about is authority, and in that regard, to think otherwise does boggle the mind. But the term "keys" are most often related to priesthood offices and are a specific term to such. Whereas we can (and sometimes do and have) use the word "keys" interchangeably with authority, it is not necessarily inaccurate to say parents have keys to their take care of their home...but realistically, they have those same "keys" regardless of priesthood. By virtue of having a child together they have that authority. The priesthood is not necessary for them to have that authority. Tell me what a home with an ordained priesthood male can do that a home without cannot? Heal the sick? No. Miracles happen by faith, and the prayer of a single mother is as valid in faith to healing the sick as a priesthood blessing. Revelation? Guidance from the Lord? All of these things come by the Spirit and by faith. So what "keys" are we talking about in the home that fathers (and mothers) have by virtue of the priesthood?

Generally speaking, when talking about priesthood keys, almost every reference I've read, speaks of them in terms of specific offices in the priesthood, and that cannot be applied to home. And usage of the word in that regard is perfectly reasonable without mind-boggling. So I both agree with you and disagree. :)

I believe you are correct.  I would add that the keys of the priesthood are not keys to the things of this world but are keys to unlock the blessings of eternity – specifically to the Celestial Kingdom.  For example the keys of the priesthood are necessary before a child reaching the age of accountability to be baptized.  Currently only male individuals can baptize.  Thus a worthy father can obtain the priesthood and can baptize his children.  The only way a worthy mother can secure that her children are baptized is to either rely on her husband or request a worthy priesthood holder of their bishop or other priesthood authority that has the keys.  It is important that a father must obtain permission from someone with priesthood keys before he can exercise his authority to baptize.

Because priesthood has keys to the Celestial Kingdom – it becomes necessary that for a family to have Celestial possibility that a man and woman must be married under the covenant of the priesthood as presided over by one having the keys to the ordinances.    It does not matter that the mother has the priesthood or not because in order to be married in the covenant she must marry a man that does.  Also it does not matter if the man has the priesthood but is not worthy or not married to a woman in the covenant – the Celestial kingdom remains locked to that family.  This is the purpose of temples and the work for the dead.  There is a covenant in marriage and if that covenant is broken the family is locked out of the Celestial Kingdom.  The only way for a family into the Celestial Kingdom is through the covenant of the priesthood which seals the family as a family unit.  Who gets to assign prayers or who assigns prayers is not associated with an ordinance of the priesthood – nor does it matter who wears pants to church.

May I offer a different definition? 

Most Keys have little to do with administration (if any). Lets read the D&C verses. I will focus on a certain type of keys. There are different types.

D&C 128:21 says the following.
21 And again, the voice of God in the chamber of old Father Whitmer, in Fayette, Seneca county, and at sundry times, and in divers places through all the travels and tribulations of this Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints! And the voice of Michael, the archangel; the voice of Gabriel, and of Raphael, and of diversangels, from Michael or Adam down to the present time, all declaring their dispensation, their rights, their keys, their honors, their majesty and glory, and the power of their priesthood; giving line upon line, precept upon precept; here a little, and there a little; giving us consolation by holding forth that which is to come, confirming our hope!

See how all these terms are different? if keys are administration than how do you declare them? All these men declare their keys, whatever they are so we should be able to know what they are. 

Woe unto you, lawyers! for ye have taken away the key of knowledge: ye entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in ye hindered. (Luke 11:52)

And this greater priesthood administereth the gospel and holdeth the key of the mysteries of the kingdom, even the key of the knowledge of God. (D&C 84:19)

1 May 1842 (Sunday Morning). Grove.Manuscript History of the Churchpages 119 - 120
I preached in the grove on the keys of the Kingdom, Charity &c The keys are certain signs and words by which false spirits and personages may be detected from true, which cannot be revealed to the Elders till the Temple is completed —The rich can only get them in the Temple—the poor may get them on the Mountain top as did Moses. The rich cannot be saved without Charity, giving to feed the poor when and how God requires as well as building. There are signs in heaven, earth, and hell, the Elders must know them all to be endowed with power, to finish their work and prevent imposition. The devil knows many signs but does not know the sign of the Son of Man, or Jesus. No one can truly say he knows God {7} until he has handled something, and this can only be in the Holiest of Holies.

See how this relates with the key of the mysteries of the kingdom?

The sacrifice required of Abraham in the offering up of Isaac, shows that if a man would attain to the keys of the kingdom of an endless life; he must sacrifice all things. When God offers a blessing or knowledge to a man, and he refuses to receive it, he will be damned. The Israelites prayed that God would speak to Moses and not to them; in consequence of which he cursed them with a carnal law. (History of the Church, (5:554-556)

I would invite you to read the Sermon at the grove and ask yourself this question as you do. Where did Jesus get \\\\\\\\"his keys\\\\\\\\" and How did he get them? Joseph clearly defines keys. Not only that he "declares" something specific.

May I offer a different definition? 

Most Keys have little to do with administration (if any). Lets read the D&C verses. I will focus on a certain type of keys. There are different types.

D&C 128:21 says the following.

21 And again, the voice of God in the chamber of old Father Whitmer, in Fayette, Seneca county, and at sundry times, and in divers places through all the travels and tribulations of this Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints! And the voice of Michael, the archangel; the voice of Gabriel, and of Raphael, and of diversangels, from Michael or Adam down to the present time, all declaring their dispensation, their rights, their keys, their honors, their majesty and glory, and the power of their priesthood; giving line upon line, precept upon precept; here a little, and there a little; giving us consolation by holding forth that which is to come, confirming our hope!

See how all these terms are different? if keys are administration than how do you declare them? All these men declare their keys, whatever they are so we should be able to know what they are. 

Woe unto you, lawyers! for ye have taken away the key of knowledge: ye entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in ye hindered. (Luke 11:52)

And this greater priesthood administereth the gospel and holdeth the key of the mysteries of the kingdom, even the key of the knowledge of God. (D&C 84:19)

1 May 1842 (Sunday Morning). Grove.Manuscript History of the Churchpages 119 - 120

I preached in the grove on the keys of the Kingdom, Charity &c The keys are certain signs and words by which false spirits and personages may be detected from true, which cannot be revealed to the Elders till the Temple is completed —The rich can only get them in the Temple—the poor may get them on the Mountain top as did Moses. The rich cannot be saved without Charity, giving to feed the poor when and how God requires as well as building. There are signs in heaven, earth, and @#!*% , the Elders must know them all to be endowed with power, to finish their work and prevent imposition. The devil knows many signs but does not know the sign of the Son of Man, or Jesus. No one can truly say he knows God {7} until he has handled something, and this can only be in the Holiest of Holies.

See how this relates with the key of the mysteries of the kingdom?

The sacrifice required of Abraham in the offering up of Isaac, shows that if a man would attain to the keys of the kingdom of an endless life; he must sacrifice all things. When God offers a blessing or knowledge to a man, and he refuses to receive it, he will be damned. The Israelites prayed that God would speak to Moses and not to them; in consequence of which he cursed them with a carnal law. (History of the Church, (5:554-556)

I would invite you to read the Sermon at the grove and ask yourself this question as you do. Where did Jesus get \\\\\\\\"his keys\\\\\\\\" and How did he get them? Joseph clearly defines keys. Not only that he "declares" something specific.

One possibility is that the keys being declared refers to explaining what keys they had been blessed with in their dispensation. For instance even in this dispensation of the fullness of times we do not currently hold the keys of creation and resurrection. So various keys such as keys of knowledge, keys of the mysteries of the kingdom, keys to the ministering of angels, keys to the gathering of israel, keys of the kingdom and so forth could all be declared as individual keys each had access to.

I don't think keys are exclusive to administration in the church. A key is a priesthood right...and that includes administration. The key is the point where that right is given though, not the general use of the right.  So, take for example healing of the sick. The key to this part of the priesthood was given to Joseph Smith. The key is then passed to future leaders throughout the years as necessary. That key is the opening of the door to that right. The authority then is passed to every worthy male who receives the Melchizedek priesthood. But that does not mean each man receives the key to unlock that right. The right has already been unlocked and is held by those with keys. The authority is given by those who hold those keys to others.

This is something along the lines of my current understanding of it...though I'm still studying it.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how this applies;

42 But Jesus called them to him, and saith unto them, Ye know that they which are accounted to rule over the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and their great ones exercise authority upon them.

43 But so shall it not be among you: but whosoever will be great among you, shall be your minister:

44 And whosoever of you will be the chiefest, shall be servant of all. (New Testament, Mark, Chapter 10)

I'm not sure but i believe that no keys or authorities are given so that we can act as "the deciders" - In the home or church to "preside" should mean to "serve" - maybe??

I wonder how this applies;

42 But Jesus called them to him, and saith unto them, Ye know that they which are accounted to rule over the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and their great ones exercise authority upon them.

43 But so shall it not be among you: but whosoever will be great among you, shall be your minister:

44 And whosoever of you will be the chiefest, shall be servant of all. (New Testament, Mark, Chapter 10)

I'm not sure but i believe that no keys or authorities are given so that we can act as "the deciders" - In the home or church to "preside" should mean to "serve" - maybe??

Indeed, those who preside are servants. Making tough decisions can be one of those services. The Saviour himself is the least and the greatest. He descended below all things and atoned for our sins and can comfort us in our sorrows, he is well acquainted with suffering. He is also tasked with the burden of figuring everything out for final judgment, this means he has authoritative decisions to make.

Looking at this another way, police officers are to serve and protect. They are given authority to act in the capacity to uphold law and order, they are not however supposed to be above the law or garner special privileges. What they do is a service. The police don't get to make the law and they are not supposed to choose which laws they'll enforce. Similarly priesthood keys and permissions are given to servants here to help uphold God's law and order, which is the proper administration of the church. Priesthood leaders don't get to "decide" in the context of what is doctrinal or not, but they do have tough decisions to make regarding individuals within doctrines and policies that God has established.

How to preside is clearly specified in D&C 121

41 No apower or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the bpriesthood, only by cpersuasion, by dlong-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned;

42 By akindness, and pure bknowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the csoul without dhypocrisy, and without eguile

These I Will Make My Leaders - James E. Faust, October 1980 Conference

Counseling together as leaders is the key to the successful functioning of a presidency or a bishopric. But what if unity in decision making is difficult or is absent? President Joseph F. Smith gave us this advice:

“When bishops and their counselors do not see eye to eye, or when presidents and their counselors have any difference whatever in their sentiments or in their policy, it is their duty to get together, to go before the Lord together and humble themselves before him until they get revelation from the Lord and see the truth alike, that they may go before their people unitedly” (Gospel Doctrine, p. 156).

These I Will Make My Leaders - James E. Faust, October 1980 Conference

Counseling together as leaders is the key to the successful functioning of a presidency or a bishopric. But what if unity in decision making is difficult or is absent? President Joseph F. Smith gave us this advice:

“When bishops and their counselors do not see eye to eye, or when presidents and their counselors have any difference whatever in their sentiments or in their policy, it is their duty to get together, to go before the Lord together and humble themselves before him until they get revelation from the Lord and see the truth alike, that they may go before their people unitedly” (Gospel Doctrine, p. 156).

I think this really only needs apply if disagreements are moderately severe and the issue at hand matters greatly. In many cases, I cannot see any reason why I, were I a counselor of some sort, in disagreeing with my bishop or president, should not simply defer to him and his mantle.

I think this really only needs apply if disagreements are moderately severe and the issue at hand matters greatly. In many cases, I cannot see any reason why I, were I a counselor of some sort, in disagreeing with my bishop or president, should not simply defer to him and his mantle.

I am not sure what is meant by severe or where such a line can be drawn.  I have had many issues in which I disagree with my priesthood leaders - mostly such things have been settled in open and honest dialog between me and my leader.  However, there was one occasion that I was not settled having discussed openly our differences between my bishop and myself.  At which time I sought out my Stake President and the issue was settled.

But with all that said - I have learned by sad experience in my marriage that as parents it is better for my wife and I to unitedly be wrong than for us to be embroiled between us in which one is right and which one is wrong.

I am not sure what is meant by severe or where such a line can be drawn.  I have had many issues in which I disagree with my priesthood leaders - mostly such things have been settled in open and honest dialog between me and my leader.  However, there was one occasion that I was not settled having discussed openly our differences between my bishop and myself.  At which time I sought out my Stake President and the issue was settled.

But with all that said - I have learned by sad experience in my marriage that as parents it is better for my wife and I to unitedly be wrong than for us to be embroiled between us in which one is right and which one is wrong.

By severe I mean a perception of severe, just as you described. If a counselor feels it is important....

You know, though I didn't say it to the missionaries, if I ever had these priesthood keys, I would wear a literal key around my neck, its a classic skeleton key design, because these are the weird things I do in my day to day life that brings a sort of order to my brain.