Conflicting advice between Bishop and Doctors?

Jennison

That we were huge supporters of science & medicine?

And that spiritual & medical arenas were seperate?

Q

Keeping it separate is were there is a problem.  Both the bishop and the doctor need to take the whole of the person into account.

Generally speaking doctors focus on treating 'the' diagnosed problem.  But in cases were their are other problems or and the patent is being treated for other things this singular focus can cause problem (See harmful drug interactions).  And this is on top of the chance of the Doctor being wrong (see second opinions and malpractice) 

A doctor ignoring a patent's moral or spiritual concerns are not going to be effective as they can in treating them.  But of course this assumes the patent has expressed their concern with the recommended treatment and has tried to explorer other alternatives with the doctor

My interpretation of the OP isn't that masturbation is a treatment for a condition, but rather that the treatment the OP is receiving for some unknown condition is something that hugely increases his hormones to the point of needing release.  The masturbation would be a way to relieve side effects of treatment.

I still want to know what accredited organization has indicated masturbation as a legitimate medical treatment; and for what conditions . . .

I've never heard it said to be a treatment, but I have heard it having benifits of health, and can offer links to such studies if need be

There's nothing in any church literature or doctrine or instruction against IVF, Quin. Believe me, I know. The rest I don't know about, but I do know that for certain. Don't throw things around as fact when you're just guessing. 

There's nothing in any church literature or doctrine or instruction against IVF, Quin. Believe me, I know. The rest I don't know about, but I do know that for certain. Don't throw things around as fact when you're just guessing. 

What Quin meant, I think, was that an IVF procedure is unnatural, and requires synthetic hormones, medications, and other things that, if the LDS Church were hyper-conservative, would be against the rules.  Fortunately for many families (yours included), the Church isn't that hyper-conservative or nit-picky.  As such, IVF is acceptable.  For some religions, however, it may not be.

On the difference between using masturbation for IVF or any other method for bearing children - that is an expression of love between husband and wife therefore falls within the LoC even though there are other methods to achieve the purpose.

On using masturbation to release extra hormones - it is not, therefore, I can see why the bishop adviced against it, especially as it might be that other methods to achieve the purpose has not been tried yet.