Mormon Family Receives Ally Voice Award

Windseeker

I read the article and watched the video posted on lds.net and while I applaud this family for supporting their son, I question their "Most significant" reason for remaining a member of the LDS faith is to be an "advocate for change"

Does this strike anyone else as kind a lame?

How about.......because it's true?

For some reason I don't find that a significant reason to join any church let alone organization.

...and Steve Young and his wife????

'You supported Prop 8 and now your sons gay...hahhaha!' :disenchanted:

I supported Prop 8 and my son is gay as well.  Would you be laughing at me as well?

No Pam of course not. Sorry..my post was unclear.

It seemed like Steve Young and his beautiful sidekick found it amusing that this family had supported prop 8 then two years later found out their 13 year old son was gay. 

I myself can see a difference between redefining marriage and loving and supporting homosexuals, but most activist don't and that obviously includes the Young family.

This family is amazing. I listened to an interview with the mother on another podcast, and her family went through some serious cr@p in her previous ward after her son came out, so much so that they had their records transferred to a different one to escape the drama. (things like, people refusing to accept the Sacrament from her gay son, even though the Bishop had declared him worthy to pass it, parents demanding that her husband be released from his calling with the Youth because he might be a "bad influence" since he was supportive of his son, etc. Lots of contention) Those kinds of attitudes are what they're trying to "change". Actions speak louder than words, and I think sometimes the hurtful, judgmental actions of some members speak louder than the message of love coming from the top. I think they're embracing the old addage of "be the change you want to see in the world" (or ward, in this case). She bares her testimony in the podcast I listened to, so there is definitely more to their being members than just wanting to change things from the inside.

I also take issue with "being an advocate for change".  Speaks to me highly of a faith problem.  Stay in the Church for cultural/family reasons, but make yourself feel better by declaring your progressiveness.

Not only were their reasons poor, I just don't understand why they felt it necessary to even mention or justify their reasons for remaining LDS in the first place.

Where in our faith are we told anything other then to exercise Charity for our fellowmen? This was a lost opportunity to be an "advocate for change" in how these organizations view the Church and shred some of the stereotypes LDS suffer from.

This family is amazing. I listened to an interview with the mother on another podcast, and her family went through some serious cr@p in her previous ward after her son came out, so much so that they had their records transferred to a different one to escape the drama. (things like, people refusing to accept the Sacrament from her gay son, even though the Bishop had declared him worthy to pass it, parents demanding that her husband be released from his calling with the Youth because he might be a "bad influence" since he was supportive of his son, etc. Lots of contention) Those kinds of attitudes are what they're trying to "change". Actions speak louder than words, and I think sometimes the hurtful, judgmental actions of some members speak louder than the message of love coming from the top. I think they're embracing the old addage of "be the change you want to see in the world" (or ward, in this case). She bares her testimony in the podcast I listened to, so there is definitely more to their being members than just wanting to change things from the inside.

I think they are amazing too and I'm sorry for what they had to go thru. I'm glad they chose to remain members of the church, I just think the message they sent was a little too "seeking the praise of man" then it needed to be and it rubbed me wrong.

Perhaps it was, but I tend to give people a bit of leeway in interviews, since they often don't know ahead of time exactly what they'll be asked, and I know for me, the answer I give to a question right off the top of my head is often not exactly what I'd say if given more time to think of my answer.

Hey if that was off the top of their head then her and her husband have wonder twin powers. ;)

It was totally prepared.

Do you think a Mormon could receive an Ally Voice award and stand for traditional marriage? Me thinks not.

I also take issue with "being an advocate for change".  Speaks to me highly of a faith problem.  Stay in the Church for cultural/family reasons, but make yourself feel better by declaring your progressiveness.

I've known people who join a religion (including LDS) because they want to change the things they think are "wrong" in that religion.

Makes absolutely no sense to me.

The fact that this family has endured intolerance and ignorance regarding their son and feeling a calling (per se) to be be a voice of experience and comfort to individuals and families that are affected by same sex attraction is honorable.

I just think its unfortunate they expressed it as the "Most significant" reason to stay in the church. They simply missed an opportunity to express other eternally significant reasons to be a member of this church. 

The fact that this family has endured intolerance and ignorance regarding their son and feeling a calling (per se) to be be a voice of experience and comfort to individuals and families that are affected by same sex attraction is honorable.

I heartily disagree. Not because it could not be honorable. The idea is, in theory, honorable. But, as is often the case, the methods are entirely wrong and more damaging than helpful.

There may be a bit more to their decision to remain affiliated with the Church, but when people are repeatedly declaring something as their Most Significant Reason... what am I to do but take them at face value?  It would be disrespectful to assume their speech and thoughts aren't aligned. 

Sure, they might have a testimony, but based on what I'm finding their testimonies and faith are the furthest thing from their focus right now. 

I watched through the youtube vid so I could knowledgeably comment on it. My opinion: Everything the family says therein is a lie, a half-truth, a twisting of truth, or a woeful misunderstanding of truth and doctrine.

This is Satan hard at work.

...and her family went through some serious cr@p in her previous ward after her son came out, so much so that they had their records transferred to a different one to escape the drama...

So says the mother. I tend to discount sob stories of this nature as a bit too one-sided. Get a pod-cast of the other parties involved and we might get a very different story.

...things like, people refusing to accept the Sacrament from her gay son, even though the Bishop had declared him worthy to pass it, parents demanding that her husband be released from his calling with the Youth because he might be a "bad influence" since he was supportive of his son...

The first is just plain stupid and does not require LGBT advocacy to change but simple common sense and righteousness. The second is a legitimate concern (with the removal of the word "demanding" which is never our place as to ward management) based on his clearly messed-up ideologies concerning the issue. I would be concerned about these folks being leaders over my youth as well. Regardless, advocating for LGBT Mormons is not required to persuade others to be good Christians.

I think sometimes the hurtful, judgmental actions of some members speak louder than the message of love coming from the top.

Hurtful, judgmental actions, once more, according to them. According to the gay community everything religion does and says about homosexuality is hurtful and judgmental. Whereas I'm sure there are clear moments of inappropriate hurt and judgment, my guess is that a large portion of what is being viewed as hurtful and judgmental is nothing more than people standing for righteous principles, which is in turn viewed as hateful and judgmental by those on the other side of the issue. I am unwilling to take the so-called "abused" gay's word as the end-all in these cases. 

Here is the message of "love" coming from the top, including a clear warning against condoning sin and against advocacy for it in any regard.

Sometimes—and this seems the greatest irony of all—these folks invoke the name of Jesus as one who was this kind of “comfortable” God. Really? He who said not only should we not break commandments, but we should not even think about breaking them. And if we do think about breaking them, we have already broken them in our heart. Does that sound like “comfortable” doctrine, easy on the ear and popular down at the village love-in?

And what of those who just want to look at sin or touch it from a distance? Jesus said with a flash, if your eye offends you, pluck it out. If your hand offends you, cut it off. “I came not to [bring] peace, but a sword,” He warned those who thought He spoke only soothing platitudes. No wonder that, sermon after sermon, the local communities “pray[ed] him to depart out of their coasts.” No wonder, miracle after miracle, His power was attributed not to God but to the devil. It is obvious that the bumper sticker question “What would Jesus do?” will not always bring a popular response.

At the zenith of His mortal ministry, Jesus said, “Love one another, as I have loved you.” To make certain they understood exactly what kind of love that was, He said, “If ye love me, keep my commandments” and “whosoever … shall break one of [the] least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be … the least in the kingdom of heaven.” Christlike love is the greatest need we have on this planet in part because righteousness was always supposed to accompany it. So if love is to be our watchword, as it must be, then by the word of Him who is love personified, we must forsake transgression and any hint of advocacy for it in others. Jesus clearly understood what many in our modern culture seem to forget: that there is a crucial difference between the commandment to forgive sin (which He had an infinite capacity to do) and the warning against condoning it (which He never ever did even once)."