This Year's Garden

classylady

We're late in getting our garden planted. I'm feeling discouraged. How are you all doing with your gardens? What have you planted?

I'm hoping to get everything planted the next day or two. I've decided to go with a smaller garden this year.  We had too much go to waste last year, and certain plants didn't do well.

I'm thinking of planting the following:

Tomatoes, several different varieties

Bell Peppers

Cucumbers

Zucchini Squash

Crook Neck Squash

Radishes

Turnips

Green Beans

Broccoli

Pumpkin

Carrots

Maybe some golden flax (my 91 year old mother wants me to plant flax.)  I've never planted it before. I need to read up on it and see if planting time is late Spring.

I would like to plant strawberries in an old wheelbarrow of ours.  I'm hoping it isn't too late in the season.

I wanted to plant red potatoes, but it may be too late in the season.  I need to read up on it.  Same with peas.

This year I am not planting cabbage, cauliflower, watermelon, corn, cantaloupe, or any other melon. 

I'm off to the nursery in a few hours to buy some plants.  Wish me luck for this year's garden!

I wanted to plant about two weeks ago, but had a week of non-stop heavy rains.  Then last week I just didn't get around to it, which turned out to be a good thing, because we had a frost warning overnight from Saturday onto Sunday this part weekend.

I live in a suburban area with a small yard.  But I've managed to make the most of it, garden-wise, such that even serious gardners in my area are jealous of me.  :)  I have a strip of raised bed about 40-45 feet long, and 2-2.5 feet wide along the side of my yard.  Half of it runs between my house and my neighbor's driveway, and the other half runs between my neighbor's fence and the grass in my backyard.  I've had the latter for five years now, but last year was the first year we did anything on the side of the house.  We were worried that it wouldn't get enough sunlight, being tucked between tightly-sandwiched houses, but we did great over there last year!

My plans for this year:

• Peas (I only did one row last year, not sure how they'd do, and they did great, so I'm going to do a lot more this time.)
  • Green bell peppers
  • Carmen red peppers
  • Jalapeños
  • Zucchini
  • Tomatoes
  • Cucumber (I haven't decided for sure yet.)
  • Spinach
  • Green beans (I've done bush beans in the past, and successfully harvested two crops, which is impressive for where I live.  Last year I tried pole beans for the first time, hoping I could maximize space.  Instead, they just grew so thick and dense that nothing grew in between the first and fourth rows I planted, and they took until almost October to produce.  Never doing that again...)
  • Onions (I bought some Walla Walla starters!)
  • Lettuce (I like a giant Caesar variety.)
  • Potatoes (Might be too late by now...I'm not sure.)
  • Garlic (I'll plant this in October)

Hoping to get it all in this weekend!

Oh, and I also have basil and cilantro.

I wanted to plant about two weeks ago, but had a week of non-stop heavy rains.  Then last week I just didn't get around to it, which turned out to be a good thing, because we had a frost warning overnight from Saturday onto Sunday this part weekend.

• Green beans (I've done bush beans in the past, and successfully harvested two crops, which is impressive for where I live.  Last year I tried pole beans for the first time, hoping I could maximize space.  Instead, they just grew so thick and dense that nothing grew in between the first and fourth rows I planted, and they took until almost October to produce.  Never doing that again...)

We had late frost this year too--Mother's Day weekend. In that regard, I'm glad we didn't get our garden out early.

I've had the same experience with bush beans vs. pole beans.  My bush beans have done great.  I tried pole beans last year and I was very disappointed. Going to plant bush beans this year.

We're late in getting our garden planted. I'm feeling discouraged. How are you all doing with your gardens? What have you planted?

I'm hoping to get everything planted the next day or two. I've decided to go with a smaller garden this year. We had too much go to waste last year, and certain plants didn't do well.

Bell Peppers

Cucumbers

Zucchini Squash

Crook Neck Squash

Radishes

Turnips

Green Beans

Broccoli

Pumpkin

Carrots

Maybe some golden flax (my 91 year old mother wants me to plant flax.) I've never planted it before. I need to read up on it and see if planting time is late Spring.

I would like to plant strawberries in an old wheelbarrow of ours. I'm hoping it isn't too late in the season.

I wanted to plant red potatoes, but it may be too late in the season. I need to read up on it. Same with peas.

This year I am not planting cabbage, cauliflower, watermelon, corn, cantaloupe, or any other melon.

I'm off to the nursery in a few hours to buy some plants. Wish me luck for this year's garden!

I'm hoping to get everything planted the next day or two. I've decided to go with a smaller garden this year. We had too much go to waste last year, and certain plants didn't do well.

Bell Peppers

Cucumbers

Zucchini Squash

Crook Neck Squash

Radishes

Turnips

Green Beans

Broccoli

Pumpkin

Carrots

Maybe some golden flax (my 91 year old mother wants me to plant flax.) I've never planted it before. I need to read up on it and see if planting time is late Spring.

I would like to plant strawberries in an old wheelbarrow of ours. I'm hoping it isn't too late in the season.

I wanted to plant red potatoes, but it may be too late in the season. I need to read up on it. Same with peas.

This year I am not planting cabbage, cauliflower, watermelon, corn, cantaloupe, or any other melon.

I'm off to the nursery in a few hours to buy some plants. Wish me luck for this year's garden!

Why flax? Don't you use flax to make linen? Or does it just look nice?

I still haven't planted yet either, and the summer season has been on us for weeks now. I did manage to get my boxes built, and then discovered that I was a little too ambitious for this year. I'll have to budget for the soil next month (not all of it, just a box or two's worth) and plant what I can.